Losing Weight after HORRIFIC Cymbalta

Options
12346»

Replies

• BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just want to let you know, my body is very susceptible to medications for headaches and depression (for some reason all the tylonals do nothing lol)
    I gained twenty pounds in a month after taking these damn things since april DX and it just appeared overnight too! I eat pretty well, i exercise a couple times a week, and all of a sudden BAM! I actually can't eat right without the constant thought of "i will still be fat" in my mind. I just stopped taking these pills, and I am never going back to them. Abilify does the same thing (it made me gain 10 of those 20 pounds, and I was only on that for 3 weeks). hopefully I will lose the weight in a few months. Good luck!
  • dreamtoBthin
    Options
    I was on Cymbalta 120mg for more than 5 years never had an issue with weight gain. My Dr. weaned me off Cymbalta, and put me on Lexapro and Abilify. I gained weight like crazy. Someone posted on here that Cymbalta is a SSRI actually Cymbalta is a SNRI. (The drug is in a class of medications called selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). There is a difference. I am a RN. I suffer from Major Depression, and have been on many different antidepressants over the years. Cymbalta has worked best for me. While weight is important. It is more important to be on proper medication that keeps you mentally healthy and safe. Not all medications work the same on every person. While Cymballta is the best choice for me it may not be for you. There are side effects to any medication you take. According to the Cymbalta website these are the most common side effects:
    The most common side effects of Cymbalta are:
    Nausea
    Dry mouth
    Sleepiness
    Fatigue
    Constipation
    Loss of appetite
    Sweating

Other possible side effects include:
    Headache
    Muscle ache
    Diarrhea
    Vomiting
    Heartburn
    Stomachache
    Loss of interest in sex
    Increased urination
    Dizziness

No where is weight gain listed as a side effect. I am not saying you didn't gain weight while on the medication. I am just saying it is not a COMMON side effect. People need to realize not everyone will respond the same. Please people take with your health care provider about any concerns you have regarding your medications and before you stop taking them. This is a medication that must be tapered off of not quit cold turkey. For your health and safety do not just stop a medication because you are afraid you are putting on weight without first discussing it with your health care provider. Stopping a medication that is meant to be tapered off of can cause serious health related issues. I wish you the best of luck in finding the best medication for your mental health and in losing the weight you desire
  • kaydeefit123
    kaydeefit123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also gained tons of weight on Cymbalta, and my doctor is the one who told me that is a common problem.

I gained 30 pounds in six months.

I got off of it in June. I've lost over 50 pounds. But not just because I got off of Cymbalta. I have changed my whole lifestyle. But I tried to lose weight on Cymbalta and could not make any progress.

Every body is different. Some people lose weight, some gain. We're the unlucky ones, unfortunately.

Your Doctor needs to go back to school. SNRI's are do not cause weight gain. Clinical and population studies have consistently proven that there is an occurrence of 2% weight LOSS against the <1% placebo. This is caused by appetite change, likely due to the high likeliness of nausea and gastrointestinal changes in the EARLY part of taking this drug (<4 weeks)

Isn't it funny that everything on the internet causes weight gain?

Perhaps you are all just happier on anti-depressants (which I think is the point) and therefore more social, eating more, drinking more, doing more things and that is causing the weight gain.

Simple formula: Calories in = Calories Out

Stop blaming everything else.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My dr took me off cymbalta. Which sucks because it was not only helping the depression/anxiety but also helping some of my aches and pains. But I was sleepwalking BAD on it, waking up in weird places and very vivid nightmares (which happen anyway but these were too bad for me). So no more cymbalta.
  • carolineduchesneau5
    Options
    Hello, while on Cymbalta I Gained approximately 30 pounds & with help from my doctor I gradually stopped taking the medication. It was difficult, sometimes dizzy and disoriented. I then found myself over eating to dull my anxieties and depression - now I control it better thru exercise and meditation. I have slowly stopped gaining and started losing. Good luck and take care.
  • nramot
    Options
    Hi

Did u finnely lost weight once supping cymbalta?
  • Howardmil
    Options
    Hello, while on Cymbalta I Gained approximately 30 pounds & with help from my doctor I gradually stopped taking the medication. It was difficult, sometimes dizzy and disoriented. I then found myself over eating to dull my anxieties and depression - now I control it better thru exercise and meditation. I have slowly stopped gaining and started losing. Good luck and take care.

NOW HERE Are the FACTS about how this drug affects weight! I am a user for 7 years.... The drug company never went that far!
    All these comments pertain to MOST people; not everyone
    Initially you will lose weight.... THEN... After a year you will gradually put on pounds : even with some good excersise. I never excersised every day cause while strictly watching my food intake I noticed the weight may fluctuate up to 4 pounds or so up and down. It won't help to (ideally) weigh yourself twice a week; you'll never know which way the scale will go. The only thing you can do if you maintain this drug and your weight is to excersise 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes and keep the food intake way down!!!
    I go up 4 lb and down 4 lb within a week; the drug is causing it.... And there is no 2 ways about it.is depressing to say the least. If ONE day you eat hardly anything but knish on a few bits of less desirable (healthy) foods... You can gain 5 lbs in 5 or 6 days! Then it will take a week to see yourself minus the five!
    The bottom line is: you MAY never get back down or stay at what you think is your desirable weight on this drug.( I was never strong enough to test this by excersising every day and see if I could go down a BIT.... Further. It's tough for you and sadly for ME ! This goes for almost all these drugs( exceptions are very young and fierce metabolic people on the move or constantly diet as we)
  • walkerdanielle79
    Options
    I was taking cymbalta for about 9 months and gain 40 lbs. I have never been this heavy in my life. After I had my son 3 years ago I dropped the weight very easily. I gained the weight about 4 months into taking and it seemed like it came on all at once. My appetite was very high and was always hungry. I stopped taking it about 3-4 months ago. I tapered myself off. Which took about a month. I have since started eating healthy and cutting bad foods out. I also started working out about a month ago 3-4 times a week. I haven't noticed any change other then a little less bloating. I wonder how long it takes for your body to get the drug out of your system so you can be yourself again. I tried. many ways to loose the weight buy nothing is working. I feel like I am getting bigger still. Any advice on how long it takes to loose the weight once stopping the med. I have always been a person who can loose weight fast and keep it off no matter how I eat or work out. Also wondering if I get a tummy tuck and lipo will I be able to keep the weight off since I am no longer on the meds. I have read things that it will always be with you and changes your body permanently.
  • itspattycakes
    itspattycakes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffer from migraines and I've been on Cymbalta for about 7 months and in those 7 months it worked great but I've been incredibly nauseous and gained roughly 30 pounds off this medicine. Ive been off it now for about a week and I feel better but see no difference in my weight yet. I've been on a medicine before for my migraines that made me gain weight and once I stopped it I dropped those 20-30 pounds in a month. I know I shouldn't see immediate results like that but I was just curious how long it took you all to finally start seeing your weight decrease again?
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    3 year old.Necro thread. .