I went into the big boys gym survived! (question for lads)

Options

Replies

• AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Don't you all feel the love in the room here tonight? Big group hug? :)
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Up until two weeks ago I was the only girl I'd ever seen in the weights room (my trainer is female though and amazing) and I was intimidated at first, but it's fine. I see a lot if the same guys regularly and they're all really friendly, help me if I need it- like when someone leaves the bar on the floor with 200 pounds on it and I'm struggling to move it all- let me jump in and do my sets during their rests and I've even had a couple of compliments :-) Enjoy it!

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

but... what do lads think of unfit women in the big weights gym?

We don't. Just like we don't about unfit men in the big weights gym. We don't think about fit people either. The only thing we think about is how awesome we are going to look after we finish the 18th set of bicep curls in the big weights gym. Come on in and get your workout on. And don't be afraid to ask for help whenever you need it.

Curlbro!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone really pays attention for the most part. Its only annoying when people are doing stupid things in the space that you'd like to use. Like the person doing curls in the squat rack or sit ups on the bench.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    So long as you're working hard, nobody cares. Speaking for myself, the only people that annoy me in the weights room are the ones fluttering about doing very little of anything.

This annoys me too. I feel like they always find a way to get in your way then its an "oops sorry am I in your way!?" every 5 minutes.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was the only female at the gym yesterday afternoon. It feels strange at first but gets easier being on the "boy's side". Everyone is really nice and just focused on getting their workout done.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I lift at home now but when I lifted at the gym, I would characterize it like this..

The gym I went to had a lot of regular which turned into spotters, unofficial training help, etc. As a result, new people were noticed. It was obvious some of the new people were experienced lifters from other gyms and some were newbies.

In regards to the newbies, I definitely paid attention to them durinng rest periods and weight switching. The things i noticed were more about were they taking it seriously, were they working on their form, were they pushing themselves with their weight levels or were they spending their time mailing it in, chatting, etc. If they were serious, you can bet your bottom dollar that I hoped they would come back and keep going. If they were half-arsing it, you can bet your bottom dollar I hoped I never saw them in there again until they found their determination (note that I wanted them back once they found their determination).

If it was clear you were working hard, I'd even be likely to offer you a spot if I saw you struggle a bit with your last set. Anything I can do to help you push yourself would be worth it and I'd want the others to do the same for me. If you asked for something, I'd be more than happy to help if I could. Others did the same for me and it should be repaid.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

We don't. Just like we don't about unfit men in the big weights gym. We don't think about fit people either. The only thing we think about is how awesome we are going to look after we finish the 18th set of bicep curls in the big weights gym. Come on in and get your workout on. And don't be afraid to ask for help whenever you need it.

Curlbro!

just not in the squat rack when other people are waiting, mmmkay?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Ack I am so sorry...I just read that it's a question for lads...oops!! I just could identify with what you are feeling.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Ack I am so sorry...I just read that it's a question for lads...oops!! I just could identify with what you are feeling.

given the recent shenanigans, i shouldn't have written the lads...that question is for everyone but as today there were no women there..i wondered...

and thanks for answering!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    As long as you know what you're doing (your trainer should help here) then nobody cares what you look like. As a veteran of the "heavy weight room" as you call it, I'm only bothered when I see someone doing something completely dumb and unsafe. Knowledge in the weight room gets my respect.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Most of the guys in the gym were thinking "After I bench this everybody is going to be impressed. They're all gonna notice me because I'm sooooo strong."
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Most guys are too busy worrying about thier own weights.
    I'm usually the only female in the weight area......and i can squat more than 80% of those guys in there.
    245lbs
    I'm hitting the weights just as hard as they are, so most of the times I see the expression on thier face.....
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Just don't do what I did and make fun of the guy that Deadlifts less than you :blushing: . Because if you do, no one will help you out from under the bar if you fail on the bench :laugh:
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I have no knowledge which is why I'm in there with the trainer...maybe after I'm all slinky like, some nice person will offer to train me for free :)
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I'm the only girl in the weights section of my local gym - and I love it! The men are very friendly (one even took the time to offer me tips in the most helpful, least condescending way possible) and always chat, and are very supportive.

As others have said, don't worry about what others think. It's YOUR workout, not theirs.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    keep doing it ! il bet none of them could care lol also you might inspire another lady to do some weights. I was always a bit nervous about going to the "boys side" of the gym till I seen an older lady an a girl my age using them.
  • basschmitz
    basschmitz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I respect people in your situation when I see them coming in to the gym because I know it takes a lot of courage, especially if you are self-conscious. I have also seen some amazing transformations over time. Anyway I am focused on my own workout when I am at the gym, not the workouts of anybody else.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was sat on the bench resting between sets when this little old lady tottered in, walked up to one of the pulleys and started cracking out reps and the first thought through my mind was "F**k yeah! You go for it!". :happy:

I was more impressed with seeing that than anything else I've seen in the gym, especially the younger guys who overload the bar for bench, refuse to use collars and look like idiots when the weights go flying across the room! :smile:
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I was sat on the bench resting between sets when this little old lady tottered in, walked up to one of the pulleys and started cracking out reps and the first thought through my mind was "F**k yeah! You go for it!". :happy:

Dude, that was me! :)
    Ha ha ha