Stop the steady state cardio today! Trust me...

Options
Unless you're training to run for distance, why waste so much time doing steady state cardio? I just saw a thread about a woman running for an hour on the treadmill...wow! I'm not judging, so please don't get me wrong. You guys seriously need to look into HIIT! So many benefits!!!
A few...
~ Takes much less time
~ Burns MORE calories...yes, more!
~ Increased metabolism
~ More fat loss vs muscle loss
Etc...

Don't take my word for it...here are a few links to get your motivated.
:wink:

13 HIIT Articles
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HIIT

8 Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit

You're welcome!
:flowerforyou:

~ Mike

Replies

• StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you. I torch tons more fat doing interval training. :wink:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I think kinda missed the point. People spend an hour on the treadmill because they enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. HIIT is great and effective, but I don't enjoy it. I can easily spend an hour on the treadmill. It's how I personally deal with stress. I can get on feeling sick I'm so stressed out or shaking I'm so mad and get off a whole new happy person.
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    Actually, the woman who said she spent an hour on the treadmill wanted ideas on what else she could do because she was bored to death (and trust me, not burning many calories by jogging 4 miles in an hour compared to even 15 minutes of HIIT).
    I don't recall anyone saying they enjoyed being on the treadmill for an hour regarding fat loss. Stress running is totally different...if you need to jog a few miles to get your mind off of stress related factors in your life, by all means run Forrest run!
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ^I have the same reaction to HIIT... Getting on a treadmill bores me to tears unless the Real Housewives of Anywhere is on... But I'd still much prefer the constant mental stimulation and thinking "What's coming next?" that I get from HIIT. Also, I get to feel like my upper body isn't completely neglected.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The best workout anyone can do is one they enjoy and will CONTINUE TO DO! If that means someone runs on the treadmill for an hour and they enjoy it but they despise weights, they will continue. If someone loves weights and hates the treadmill, then they will do it. If the only thing you are looking for in a workout is calorie burn, you're doing it wrong.....
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If one's only goal is to burn calories in the shortest possible time then HITT will save you 5 or 6 minutes. However, it does not have the same effect on on fitness as an aerobic steady state session.
  • Martoch
    Options
    I disagree completely with HIIT only saving me 5 or 6 minutes...been doing it for years. Also, I'm not targeting people that just like to run/jog...I'm targeting those that want to lose calories (most of the population on this site) effectively without wasting a lot of time (busy schedules). I'm sorry, but I must live in a unique part of the planet where people enjoy an hour on the treadmill because I am asked in person all the time about what else they can do because treadmills are boring, they're not losing any more weight, it takes too long, etc...
    ^I have the same reaction to HIIT... Getting on a treadmill bores me to tears unless the Real Housewives of Anywhere is on... But I'd still much prefer the constant mental stimulation and thinking "What's coming next?" that I get from HIIT. Also, I get to feel like my upper body isn't completely neglected.

Exactly! HIIT doesn't only have to include running/jogging...you can easily get your whole body involved. Tons of info on the web!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Actually, the woman who said she spent an hour on the treadmill wanted ideas on what else she could do because she was bored to death (and trust me, not burning many calories by jogging 4 miles in an hour compared to even 15 minutes of HIIT).
    I don't recall anyone saying they enjoyed being on the treadmill for an hour regarding fat loss. Stress running is totally different...if you need to jog a few miles to get your mind off of stress related factors in your life, by all means run Forrest run!

My bad then. I was skimming through the cardio bunny thread and just assumed you were referring to them. In your context I agree. Carry on. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that for the vast majority of people and contexts, choosing whichever one you enjoy more is the best method.

As for which is better, that's quite debatable.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html

And a good answer from Alan Aragon here:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Cool story bro, ill save my HIIT for lifting weights, and unwind doing my "fat burning zone cardio" watching tv or playing xbox.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    BRB, squats heavy 3x per week and deadlifts heavy 1-2 times per week, doing HIIT

BRB, 200 lbs overweight and can barely jog, doing HIIT

BRB, heart patient that can't do strenuous activity, doing HIIT

BRB, I hate sprinting, doing HIIT
  • Martoch
    Options
    Cool story bro,

Uh oh...did you come here from the BB.com misc?
    :tongue:
    BRB, squats heavy 3x per week and deadlifts heavy 1-2 times per week, doing HIIT

You're doing it wrong...you completely missed the point.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Cool story bro,

Uh oh...did you come here from the BB.com misc?
    :tongue:

Actually your point was " why waste so much time doing steady state cardio?"

Plenty of reasons to "waste" time doing LISS, and he provided them.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

As did you, apparently.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    While HIIT is definitely superior for body composition, steady state cardio still has it's place. Saying steady state cardio useless is just wrong.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love me some HIIT
  • KimberlyWIOG
    Options
    That's what I do! And I love it!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Sounds great except I am a diabteic and do not recover at the pace most people would. Also, due to a recuring hernia I have to be careful what I do since it is below my ribs. Also, as an ball official I need the cardio.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    thx- there is a HIIT it class at my gym- but I will have to try- a little concerned about modifications for a bad knee (not bad now because I am careful)- I do tons of cardio each week- will have to talk to this instructor
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The best workout anyone can do is one they enjoy and will CONTINUE TO DO! If that means someone runs on the treadmill for an hour and they enjoy it but they despise weights, they will continue. If someone loves weights and hates the treadmill, then they will do it. If the only thing you are looking for in a workout is calorie burn, you're doing it wrong.....

Totally agree