Stop the steady state cardio today! Trust me...

Options

Replies

• Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options

I am sorry if you took it that way. you didn't hurt my feelings and I didn't mean to hurt yours if I did. I was just letting you know that some people can not do what you do which sounds great for you by the way.:wink:

Thanks for clarifying! I really don't want to offend anyone here at all...I'm not that kind of guy. I'm a family man that enjoys life and wants to help people feel better about themselves as well. No harm done!
    :smile:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Does this site have a hurt feelings report? I surely didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings at all...I really didn't...but some of the responses make me think I took a cheap shot at your family. It's info...take it or leave it. No need to make snide remarks like Melo just made. I still love ya!
    :flowerforyou:

It doesn't have the hurt feelings report, but plenty of people with hurt feelings will report a post. It is nearly impossible to post something on this site without somebody getting upset.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/a-hiit-workout-routine-to-burn-belly-fat-fast

How about BOTH!! Re-posting this article, yet again.

And please bro-seph... stop using the phrase "trust me". Unless you're a used car salesman or a frat guy talking to a hot, impressionable freshman girl, that phrase should be struck from your vocabulary. No offense to used car salesmen or cheeky frat guys.

Did you just call me bro-seph? How cute! :flowerforyou:

I will read your article for the first time.

Haha.. sorry, I couldn't resist. that phrase makes me snarky. :-)

And I wasn't trying to imply you should have read it already- I've just posted it like 3 times in various threads since I stumbled on it and didn't want anyone to call me out on my repost.

To the PP who somments on the simplyshredded article talking about doing very little cardio- for guys who are pushing to build muscle mass, steady state cardio steals hard-earned nutrients/calories that could be going toward muscle, thus being somewhat counter-productive. You have to consider the goal/agenda of the author (and his/her target audience) while considering the info/advice they provide.

ETA: I love HIIT, I'm all about it, and I avoid steady state cardio as much as possible. But different people have different goals :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The best workout anyone can do is one they enjoy and will CONTINUE TO DO!

Speak for yourself. To me, the "best" workout is the one that consistently gets the best results. That's what motivates me to continue doing something. Screw what I "enjoy." Being fit is about getting outside of your comfort zone, and that means doing things you don't really want to do. When it comes to fitness, no one makes constant progress by just doing the things they like.

"Cardio" has a place in everyone's fitness routine, but that doesn't mean it has to be steady-state, run-for-an-hour-on-a-treadmill cardio, just like "strength training" doesn't have to mean pulling a 2X bodyweight deadlift. A person can get an excellent cardio workout from 10 minutes of kettlebell ballistics if his/her programming, technique, and loading parameters are correct. The same person can get a good strength workout from bodyweight-only exercises, without lifting a single pound of iron. The fastest way to stall your progress is to allow yourself to be an absolutist, in any direction.

It's a weakness of mind and will (not to mention a product of our instant gratification society) to believe that if you don't enjoy a workout, you won't be able to convince yourself to do it again.
    There is a difference in instant gratification and continuing a workout routine that you despise. I despise the treadmill. That thing fills me with a deep hatred and nothing on there is going to interest me. I don't mind running outside. Ergo, do not ever touch the treadmill. I enjoy weights, so I do them regularly. Just because I enjoy weights doesn't mean that every workout is fun. I just don't hate it. On the flip side though, if my workout routine isn't getting results, I am still going to change it up. That only makes sense.

I said you cannot just stick with what you "enjoy" and expect to make progress. That doesn't mean you have have to despise your workouts in order to make progress. There is a medium. And the best part of that medium includes a healthy amount of fear and dread. In the end, you are going to do what you know will get the job done, and what gets the job done is usually something that is not wholly pleasant to do.

I totally disagree and do not want this mentality.

I have done pretty well so far just doing what I enjoy.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Stop cardio! trust me....
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running on the treadmill (I enjoy running/walking outside even more). I know everyone here hates on the people who do only or mostly cardio but I enjoy it, so oh well...
  • Martoch
    Options
    I enjoy running on the treadmill (I enjoy running/walking outside even more). I know everyone here hates on the people who do only or mostly cardio but I enjoy it, so oh well...

I don't hate on anyone here at all, but I'm sure feeling the hate in this thread. It's okay though...I am way too happy of a guy to let it bother me. Trust me...

:wink:

I did pretty well doing things I liked years ago as well...then I started pushing my comfort zone into things that I didn't necessarily care for...the result...a ripped body that I would have never achieved if I stuck with "doing pretty well". I'm not being mean, so please don't take it that way. I'm just making a point that I was in your shoes at one point in my life. If you're happy with yourself, then I'm happy for you too! I mean that.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I trained for two half marathons and didn't lose a pound. I joined here and started counting calories and also did the first half of INSANITY and lost 15 lbs. I'm sure diet had something to do with it too, but I know the HIIT helped.

Having said that, I will begin training for a marathon in the new year, so I have a lot of steady state cardio in my future! But I'll mix in some weight work during that training and once the marathon is over I'll probably go back to HIIT.

ETA: Oh yeah, and I should mention that this weekend I just did my 3rd half marathon after losing 15 lbs and doing the 1st half of INSANITY and I beat my PR by 10 minutes! Considering my first two half marathons were within 1 minute of each other for time, 10 minutes is a huge difference.
    The weight loss gave you that extra 10 mins, nothing else. Each lbs you lose equals about 40 secs on a half marathon everything else being equal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I don't hate on anyone here at all, but I'm sure feeling the hate in this thread. It's okay though...I am way too happy of a guy to let it bother me. Trust me...

I did pretty well doing things I liked years ago as well...then I started pushing my comfort zone into things that I didn't necessarily care for...the result...a ripped body that I would have never achieved if I stuck with "doing pretty well". I'm not being mean, so please don't take it that way. I'm just making a point that I was in your shoes at one point in my life. If you're happy with yourself, then I'm happy for you too! I mean that.

That is nice for you, but as I say, what I do is working nicely for me. Also you know absolutely nothing about me so making an assumption as to where I am in my life or what my goals are is rather presumptuous.

I also think you missed the nuance of 'doing pretty well' and took it a little to literally.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I trained for two half marathons and didn't lose a pound. I joined here and started counting calories and also did the first half of INSANITY and lost 15 lbs. I'm sure diet had something to do with it too, but I know the HIIT helped.

Having said that, I will begin training for a marathon in the new year, so I have a lot of steady state cardio in my future! But I'll mix in some weight work during that training and once the marathon is over I'll probably go back to HIIT.

ETA: Oh yeah, and I should mention that this weekend I just did my 3rd half marathon after losing 15 lbs and doing the 1st half of INSANITY and I beat my PR by 10 minutes! Considering my first two half marathons were within 1 minute of each other for time, 10 minutes is a huge difference.
    The weight loss gave you that extra 10 mins, nothing else. Each lbs you lose equals about 40 secs on a half marathon everything else being equal.

Interesting, thanks for that... I knew that carrying around 15 fewer pounds for 13.1 miles should make it easier physically. And, while I have no idea how much watching my calories vs. HIIT played into that weight loss, I at least know that HIIT was a part of it and for that I'm grateful.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running for an hour do it every day at my lunch hour. Sometimes Ill run 16 miles about 2 hours becouse I enjoy it. And while running My HR is at about averages 165 BPM for my runs. When I go up hills ill kick it in a bit to keep it going. My max HR is 176 so I maintain (steady state an anywhere between 80 and 90 percent of my max).

High five to a fellow runner with high heart rate while running. I'm supposed to have a max heart rate of 193. I've seen plenty of 180+ on my runs. Usually average 175ish and I could pass the talk test. If I make an effort to keep my run "easy" I'll usually be just under 170, and that's supposed to be 88% of my max heart rate! Also, I'm going pretty slow and this is still what I get. I can't get past 160 or 165 max doing most aerobic videos or past 150 on the stationary bike. Guessing the muscle fatigue just won't let me get there. So I guess we are already doing HIIT, for 1-2 hours several days a week...or maybe I am missing some benefit here.

I say do what you enjoy. I enjoy doing aerobics every now and then, but as stated above I'm going to reach/maintain a higher heart rate (and therefore higher calorie burn) much easier on a run than doing anything else. So I have seen no evidence to believe in the "magic" of HIIT, only to agree with others that if you enjoy stick with it.
  • Martoch
    Options
    Also you know absolutely nothing about me so making an assumption as to where I am in my life or what my goals are is rather presumptuous.

I must admit that you are correct and I sincerely apologize...forgive me?
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Before I started biking, which has its own natural intervals in most cases, I used to do an hour of HIIT on the treadmill. I lost a lot of weight and fat doing that, but I it's mostly a function of the time I spent and the fact that I consistently pushed the intensity above my aerobic threshold. At least once a day we get some broseph posting saying that whatever exercise you are doing is wrong. Nevermind all of the people have been successful doing the now verboten technique. No, the shirtless buff dudes know all.

It would be pretty hilarious if nobody was negatively impacted by the "advice". However, if someone who was happy and successful doing steady-state cardio now questions their routine unnecessarily, then that's a bad thing.
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Martoch
    Options
    Before I started biking, which has its own natural intervals in most cases, I used to do an hour of HIIT on the treadmill. I lost a lot of weight and fat doing that, but I it's mostly a function of the time I spent and the fact that I consistently pushed the intensity above my aerobic threshold. At least once a day we get some broseph posting saying that whatever exercise you are doing is wrong. Nevermind all of the people have been successful doing the now verboten technique. No, the shirtless buff dudes know all.

It would be pretty hilarious if nobody was negatively impacted by the "advice". However, if someone who was happy and successful doing steady-state cardio now questions their routine unnecessarily, then that's a bad thing.

I should have lurked before posting, perhaps...so I would have seen all of the other shirtless brosephs posting similar threads. I can see it from your point of view as well. I apologize for what seems like a negatively impacting thread for those that take it in such a way because I seem like every other shirtless buff dude. I had nothing but good intentions.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Thanks for the links - I am definitely going to read them later. I love running, but lately, I feel like I need to try something new while I am at the gym.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running for an hour do it every day at my lunch hour. Sometimes Ill run 16 miles about 2 hours becouse I enjoy it. And while running My HR is at about averages 165 BPM for my runs. When I go up hills ill kick it in a bit to keep it going. My max HR is 176 so I maintain (steady state an anywhere between 80 and 90 percent of my max).

High five to a fellow runner with high heart rate while running. I'm supposed to have a max heart rate of 193. I've seen plenty of 180+ on my runs. Usually average 175ish and I could pass the talk test. If I make an effort to keep my run "easy" I'll usually be just under 170, and that's supposed to be 88% of my max heart rate! Also, I'm going pretty slow and this is still what I get. I can't get past 160 or 165 max doing most aerobic videos or past 150 on the stationary bike. Guessing the muscle fatigue just won't let me get there. So I guess we are already doing HIIT, for 1-2 hours several days a week...or maybe I am missing some benefit here.

I say do what you enjoy. I enjoy doing aerobics every now and then, but as stated above I'm going to reach/maintain a higher heart rate (and therefore higher calorie burn) much easier on a run than doing anything else. So I have seen no evidence to believe in the "magic" of HIIT, only to agree with others that if you enjoy stick with it.
    You're not doing HIIT just b/c your HR is high....it just means you have a higher than formula-predicted max HR. The 220-age formula is pretty bogus- it misses the mark for as many people as it works for, it's more a statistical average than something that should be applied to individual cases. If you feel that you are aerobically fit enough to do so, you can do a max HR test to get a better number to use for effective zone training. 88% of a meaningless number is a meaningless percentage.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Unless you're training to run for distance, why waste so much time doing steady state cardio? I just saw a thread about a woman running for an hour on the treadmill...wow! I'm not judging, so please don't get me wrong. You guys seriously need to look into HIIT! So many benefits!!!
    A few...
    ~ Takes much less time
    ~ Burns MORE calories...yes, more!
    ~ Increased metabolism
    ~ More fat loss vs muscle loss
    Etc...

Don't take my word for it...here are a few links to get your motivated.

13 HIIT Articles
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HIIT

8 Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit

You're welcome!
    :flowerforyou:

~ Mike

Hey Mike thanks for the link. I tried the beginner workout today. This reminds me of Jillian Michaels videos but I believe she called her workouts interval training. Her videos were harder than the beginning HIIT video that I did today and they also definitely worked for me! So do you or anyone else know the difference between interval and HIIT? I do think I will be following the fitnessblender website and trying some of the harder HIIT routines. Anyway, I do still like to do cardio but I will definitely roll these in too---thanks for the info and links very cool of you!
  • Martoch
    Options

Hey Mike thanks for the link. I tried the beginner workout today. This reminds me of Jillian Michaels videos but I believe she called her workouts interval training. Her videos were harder than the beginning HIIT video that I did today and they also definitely worked for me! So do you or anyone else know the difference between interval and HIIT? I do think I will be following the fitnessblender website and trying some of the harder HIIT routines. Anyway, I do still like to do cardio but I will definitely roll these in too---thanks for the info and links very cool of you!

You're welcome!

HIIT = interval. High Intensity Interval Training