Stop the steady state cardio today! Trust me...

Options

Replies

• chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My daily workout that includes no lifting or cardio yet produces weight loss......dropping the deuce.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    84724e9973ea491f5aa40400e5b1cca5.jpg
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Then there are those of us who do HIIT for an hour or more to try to burn calories. Perhaps we're in a special group all our own. ;)

Then you're doing HIIT wrong. Up the intensity if you're able to do it that long...unless this is just a lame joke.

This definitely this. The HIIT componant of your workout shouldn't really exceed 20 minutes. Any longer and it's probably just interval training because you're not working hard enough. But having said that do a long warmup if you're concerned with burning calories (and to get your body ready).

I love HIIT, intervals and sprints. I train for sport so they work for me because they seem to best mimic the conditions I get on the sports field. I'm also learning to enjoy steady state cardio. I think the best training programs are the ones that mix it up. The more different things I do, the less bored I get.

HIIT seems to give a good return on my time, I can do a short HIIT workout and feel like I've smashed it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The best workout anyone can do is one they enjoy and will CONTINUE TO DO!

Speak for yourself. To me, the "best" workout is the one that consistently gets the best results. That's what motivates me to continue doing something. Screw what I "enjoy." Being fit is about getting outside of your comfort zone, and that means doing things you don't really want to do. When it comes to fitness, no one makes constant progress by just doing the things they like.

"Cardio" has a place in everyone's fitness routine, but that doesn't mean it has to be steady-state, run-for-an-hour-on-a-treadmill cardio, just like "strength training" doesn't have to mean pulling a 2X bodyweight deadlift. A person can get an excellent cardio workout from 10 minutes of kettlebell ballistics if his/her programming, technique, and loading parameters are correct. The same person can get a good strength workout from bodyweight-only exercises, without lifting a single pound of iron. The fastest way to stall your progress is to allow yourself to be an absolutist, in any direction.

It's a weakness of mind and will (not to mention a product of our instant gratification society) to believe that if you don't enjoy a workout, you won't be able to convince yourself to do it again.
    There is a difference in instant gratification and continuing a workout routine that you despise. I despise the treadmill. That thing fills me with a deep hatred and nothing on there is going to interest me. I don't mind running outside. Ergo, do not ever touch the treadmill. I enjoy weights, so I do them regularly. Just because I enjoy weights doesn't mean that every workout is fun. I just don't hate it. On the flip side though, if my workout routine isn't getting results, I am still going to change it up. That only makes sense.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Obviously I'm copying/pasting from a HIIT article on Shape.com...and we could both find articles to support whatever point we're trying to make. I'm just providing some friendly info.

3. Healthier Heart
    Most people aren't used to pushing into the anaerobic zone (that lovely place where you can't breathe and you feel like your heart is trying to jump out of your chest). But in this case, extreme training produces extreme results. One 2006 study found that after 8 weeks of doing HIIT workouts, subjects could bicycle twice as long as they could before the study, while maintaining the same pace.

Every time I change the incline on the treadmill up to the max and keep going till I feel like my "heart is going to jump out of my chest".
    Huh! I've been doing HIIT and didn't even realize it. :bigsmile:
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    I disagree with sticking with an exercise because you love it...it would be nice if we all loved the exercises that really work for us and show results, but that's just not realistic. I do not love all of the exercises that work for me, but I do them because they work and give me the look/feel I want.

LMAO!

I'm certainly not telling anyone that "you're doing it wrong"...some people take things way too personally. By telling me not to make a thread stating my opinion, isn't that you telling me that I'm doing it wrong? Hmmm????
    :wink:

It is absolutely my opinion and it's what works for me. I do ZERO long distance running these days (mind you, I used to run 5k races in 16 minutes) and I am very happy with the way I look/feel...and I'm full of energy. HIIT works for me, plain and simple...and it cannot be debated as far as I go. It's not for everyone, but if even one person got something from this thread, then it was worth posting. No harm done. Can't please 'em all!

HUGS ALL AROUND!!!
    smiley-hug006.gif
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    About once a week I do 20 minutes of hiit. About 3 or 4 days a week I run between 3 and 5 miles depending on time. I have medical condition and live in an area with no safe roads to run so I treadmill it. I like doing an hour of steady state, it's one of the few times I watch tv. I like hiit since it increases my speed. It also gets my heart pumping without banging on my joints as long as steady state does. I think for a lot of people doing both is great to give you all around health and mental benefits. For those who have joint issues, it is also great on an elliptical. When I had access to one of those I'd do it on their and it was just a good and a lot easier on my joints.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The best workout anyone can do is one they enjoy and will CONTINUE TO DO!

Speak for yourself. To me, the "best" workout is the one that consistently gets the best results. That's what motivates me to continue doing something. Screw what I "enjoy." Being fit is about getting outside of your comfort zone, and that means doing things you don't really want to do. When it comes to fitness, no one makes constant progress by just doing the things they like.

"Cardio" has a place in everyone's fitness routine, but that doesn't mean it has to be steady-state, run-for-an-hour-on-a-treadmill cardio, just like "strength training" doesn't have to mean pulling a 2X bodyweight deadlift. A person can get an excellent cardio workout from 10 minutes of kettlebell ballistics if his/her programming, technique, and loading parameters are correct. The same person can get a good strength workout from bodyweight-only exercises, without lifting a single pound of iron. The fastest way to stall your progress is to allow yourself to be an absolutist, in any direction.

It's a weakness of mind and will (not to mention a product of our instant gratification society) to believe that if you don't enjoy a workout, you won't be able to convince yourself to do it again.
    There is a difference in instant gratification and continuing a workout routine that you despise. I despise the treadmill. That thing fills me with a deep hatred and nothing on there is going to interest me. I don't mind running outside. Ergo, do not ever touch the treadmill. I enjoy weights, so I do them regularly. Just because I enjoy weights doesn't mean that every workout is fun. I just don't hate it. On the flip side though, if my workout routine isn't getting results, I am still going to change it up. That only makes sense.

I said you cannot just stick with what you "enjoy" and expect to make progress. That doesn't mean you have have to despise your workouts in order to make progress. There is a medium. And the best part of that medium includes a healthy amount of fear and dread. In the end, you are going to do what you know will get the job done, and what gets the job done is usually something that is not wholly pleasant to do.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump:)
  • Martoch
    Options
    I said you cannot just stick with what you "enjoy" and expect to make progress. That doesn't mean you have have to despise your workouts in order to make progress. There is a medium.

Are you reading my mind? That's the point I was trying to make with my last post. Choosing exercises based on their enjoyment level is not going to give you the gains that you want, if any. If you just want to be able to say "I did an hour on the treadmill last night" or "I did 8 billion crunches this morning", then by all means keep on keepin' on.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Your One Size Fits All does not fit ALL.
    Sorry but I can not do much weight lifting with back, shoulder and knee issues can not do zumba either but I can do the treadmill. I also do light weight reps on the machines but you might think that is a waste of time too.
  • Martoch
    Options
    Does this site have a hurt feelings report? I surely didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings at all...I really didn't...but some of the responses make me think I took a cheap shot at your family. It's info...take it or leave it. No need to make snide remarks like Melo just made. I still love ya!
    :flowerforyou:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I disagree with sticking with an exercise because you love it...it would be nice if we all loved the exercises that really work for us and show results, but that's just not realistic. I do not love all of the exercises that work for me, but I do them because they work and give me the look/feel I want.

LMAO!

I'm certainly not telling anyone that "you're doing it wrong"...some people take things way too personally. By telling me not to make a thread stating my opinion, isn't that you telling me that I'm doing it wrong? Hmmm????
    :wink:

It is absolutely my opinion and it's what works for me. I do ZERO long distance running these days (mind you, I used to run 5k races in 16 minutes) and I am very happy with the way I look/feel...and I'm full of energy. HIIT works for me, plain and simple...and it cannot be debated as far as I go. It's not for everyone, but if even one person got something from this thread, then it was worth posting. No harm done. Can't please 'em all!

HUGS ALL AROUND!!!
    smiley-hug006.gif

I appreciate the post! I've been trying to figure out how to change up my running workouts. I am planning to run a 5k in the near future so I do need the endurance. I guess I've been doing interval training all along since I run at 5 - 5.5 mph on the treadmill bumping it up to 6.5 or a little for 30 secs - 2 minutes every 5 minutes or so. I do this for 27 minutes, currently. I think HIIT sounds interesting. I want to run the 5K but I also want to make my workouts count in the shortest amount of time possible.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/a-hiit-workout-routine-to-burn-belly-fat-fast

How about BOTH!! Re-posting this article, yet again.

And please bro-seph... stop using the phrase "trust me". Unless you're a used car salesman or a frat guy talking to a hot, impressionable freshman girl, that phrase should be struck from your vocabulary. No offense to used car salesmen or cheeky frat guys.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    I am interested in HIIT. I love the elliptical and I am on it every day. I was getting bored with steady state a few weeks ago and started doing more of an interval session when I get on it.

I am still on it for about 45 minutes every day but I love the feeling much better after I do the intervals. I feel like I have gotten a much better workout.

Any good HIIT elliptical routines I can try? (Also, are the interval sessions good?) I love my cardio and I love doing it every day. But I am looking for ways to make it more beneficial to myself.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

And please bro-seph... stop using the phrase "trust me". Unless you're a used car salesman, that phrase should be struck from your vocabulary. No offense to used car salesmen.

she is correct. trust me.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Does this site have a hurt feelings report? I surely didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings at all...I really didn't...but some of the responses make me think I took a cheap shot at your family. It's info...take it or leave it. No need to make snide remarks like Melo just made. I still love ya!
    :flowerforyou:

I am sorry if you took it that way. you didn't hurt my feelings and I didn't mean to hurt yours if I did. I was just letting you know that some people can not do what you do which sounds great for you by the way.:wink:
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that for the vast majority of people and contexts, choosing whichever one you enjoy more is the best method.

As for which is better, that's quite debatable.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html

And a good answer from Alan Aragon here:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html

The second article/website is a good example of why I question whether anyone, even the experts and people who are very fit themselves, really have the right answers or if it's 90% of fitness is really just about getting off the couch and moving. Basically the guy says do as little cardio as possible, starting with zero if I'm quoting the guy right. What's one of the links on the right side of the page to another article say in big bold letters? "Crank it up with with high intensity cardio." Well ok.
  • Martoch
    Options

And please bro-seph... stop using the phrase "trust me". Unless you're a used car salesman or a frat guy talking to a hot, impressionable freshman girl, that phrase should be struck from your vocabulary. No offense to used car salesmen or cheeky frat guys.

Did you just call me bro-seph? How cute! :flowerforyou:

I will read your article for the first time.