SHAKEOLOGY does it really work?

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand "meal replacement." I use protein drinks frequently as part of my every day intake, but I couldn't replace a meal with any drink short of a puree'd 8 ounce sirloin.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know 3 people that use it regularly. All are in great shape and one just lost 30+ lbs while using it. Of course, he also completely the Insanity DVDs and took up running.

It is not a magic weight loss or muscle building drink. You still have to do the work. But if you are looking for a nutritionally sound meal replacement drink that is about $4 a meal, it will work for that.

ETA: a guy I work with that lifts weight but doesn't do Beachbody workouts or Shakeology meal replacement told me he loves the recovery drinks. Apparently they have one that tastes just like a creamsickle.

Wow. Your experience with this product is remarkably positive. It's almost enough to make me question if you are being objective in your evaluation.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself but I love Shakeology. Since I started drinking it in July, I have noticed I get better sleep, more energy, clearer skin and experience less "crap-food" cravings.

Eating regular, healthy foods (fruits, veggies, lean meats, healthy oils bladdy blah) gives you the same results. Just sayin'.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition Shakes. 18 for $24. At Costco. 30 grams of protein each.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a food/drink that "works" for weight loss. What works a caloric deficit and exercise. It doesn't mater whether you consume a purely liquid diet or whether you live off of candy bars (not counting the health risks involved), you'll still lose weight.

Candy bars have a lot of carbs in... If I eat too many carbs I stop losing weight no matter how many calories so just not true for everyone. This idea is thrown around a lot in the forums and I find it misleading. I however do not agree with depending on a shake to lose weight. A lifestyle change is what is needed. Lots of healthy food that you can stick with permanently. X
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    There is no such thing as a food/drink that "works" for weight loss. What works a caloric deficit and exercise. It doesn't mater whether you consume a purely liquid diet or whether you live off of candy bars (not counting the health risks involved), you'll still lose weight.

Candy bars have a lot of carbs in... If I eat too many carbs I stop losing weight no matter how many calories so just not true for everyone. This idea is thrown around a lot in the forums and I find it misleading. I however do not agree with depending on a shake to lose weight. A lifestyle change is what is needed. Lots of healthy food that you can stick with permanently. X

Wizardry!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know 3 people that use it regularly. All are in great shape and one just lost 30+ lbs while using it. Of course, he also completely the Insanity DVDs and took up running.

It is not a magic weight loss or muscle building drink. You still have to do the work. But if you are looking for a nutritionally sound meal replacement drink that is about $4 a meal, it will work for that.

ETA: a guy I work with that lifts weight but doesn't do Beachbody workouts or Shakeology meal replacement told me he loves the recovery drinks. Apparently they have one that tastes just like a creamsickle.

I lost more than 30 pounds just eating a healthy diet and exercising.

Congrats!! I lost 27 doing the exact same thing! But the OP didn't ask about that.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Wow. Your experience with this product is remarkably positive. It's almost enough to make me question if you are being objective in your evaluation.

I'm not a Beachbody coach, if that's what you mean. :laugh: And I've never personally used Shakeology (I LOVE to eat). The OP asked a question, I provided what knowledge I could based on the few people I know who have tried it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Congrats!! I lost 27 doing the exact same thing! But the OP didn't ask about that.

I'd say she did, she stated that she didn't want to waste money. So it's a 2 parter, 1) I'm sure most people lost weight if they're using the product right because its purpose (like similar products) is to replace a meal and thereby help decrease daily caloric intake. 2) she doesn't want to waste money and seeing as there are comparable better priced products out there or actual food that can do the same thing most people think its a waste of money.

My opinion is that everyone does what they need to in order to succeed. Shakology will never be a part of my life, I make other choices.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If it helps you maintain a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight.

Are there other cheaper, easier, better tasting ways to maintain a calorie deficit? Probably.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'd say she did, she stated that she didn't want to waste money. So it's a 2 parter, 1) I'm sure most people lost weight if they're using the product right because its purpose (like similar products) is to replace a meal and thereby help decrease daily caloric intake. 2) she doesn't want to waste money and seeing as there are comparable better priced products out there or actual food that can do the same thing most people think its a waste of money.

My opinion is that everyone does what they need to in order to succeed. Shakology will never be a part of my life, I make other choices.

Not sure why you are arguing with me, but again, the OP didn't ask about your choices. She asked about Shakeology. I assume she's intelligent enough to know that Shakeology isn't required for weight loss.

But again, congrats on your weight loss success!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Fine. We can play that game...only answer precisely the question asked. Fine. She asked if anyone has gotten amazing results with this product.

My answer: Yes, apparently some have. However, it seems that most of them are trying to sell it. Coincidence?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Just curious I noticed a lot of people are on this product, including some of my friends. Don't want to waste money on something that does not work. Anybody get amazing results with this product??????

Preface: I haven't tried this particular product, and it's mostly because the proponents of it seem a little...well...cult-ish. So, there's my bias. That said...

I guess it depends on what you mean by "work." It's a meal replacement shake that's kind of overpriced given the quality of the product. So if you think they're delicious, and don't mind paying for the convenience, then sure it works in that sense.

Personally, I like a meal replacement shake from time to time. I think the "eat real food" mantra gets a little old, but that's just me. At the same time, it's not like I think the shake is doing anything for me other than providing some calories and nutrients in a way that's faster and easier than cooking something myself.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    It will slim down your wallet!

$4 a day does not sound expensive to me at all. no more expensive than other food.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    ^except that's not all you're eating that day...

You can just buy protein powder from Walmart and make your own for much cheaper. Here are some recipes from bodybuilding.com. While you're at it, compare the ingredients list for these with the ingredients listed on the Shakeology drinks. Not so many mystery components in these :)

1. Coconut Twisted Julius
    1 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein
    2 tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate
    1/2 frozen Banana

2. Muscular Mango
    1 cup sugar-free Apple Juice
    1/2 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
    1 tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate
    1/2 cup frozen Mango
    1/2 cup frozen Pineapple
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein

3. Almond Joy
    1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
    2 scoops Chocolate Protein
    2 tbsp Almond Butter
    2 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
    1/4 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut

4. Caramel Coffee
    1 tsp instant Coffee
    1 tsp sugar-free Caramel Creamer

5. The Fuzzy Protein
    1/2 cup frozen Peaches
    1 cup water or sugar-free Apple Juice
    1/2 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein

6. Dark Chocolate Banana
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
    1/2 frozen Banana

7. Cheesecake Protein
    1 cup water or unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 oz fat-free Cream Cheese
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein
    1/4 cup crushed Graham Crackers

11. Snickers Mocha
    1 scoop Protein Powder
    1/2 cup cold Coffee
    1/2 cup skim or unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 tsp drops of sugar-free Caramel Creamer
    1/4-1/2 packet of sugar-free Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast
    3 Ice Cubes
    1 tsp Butternut flavoring extract

12. Sweet Strawberry
    2-3 scoops Vanilla Protein
    8 fluid oz Water
    1 fat-free Strawberry Yogurt or Greek Yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen Strawberries
    1 tsp Flaxseed Oil
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    ^except that's not all you're eating that day...

You can just buy protein powder from Walmart and make your own for much cheaper. Here are some recipes from bodybuilding.com. While you're at it, compare the ingredients list for these with the ingredients listed on the Shakeology drinks. Not so many mystery components in these :)

1. Coconut Twisted Julius
    1 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein
    2 tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate
    1/2 frozen Banana

2. Muscular Mango
    1 cup sugar-free Apple Juice
    1/2 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
    1 tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate
    1/2 cup frozen Mango
    1/2 cup frozen Pineapple
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein

3. Almond Joy
    2 tbsp Almond Butter
    2 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
    1/4 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut

4. Caramel Coffee
    1 tsp instant Coffee
    1 tsp sugar-free Caramel Creamer

5. The Fuzzy Protein
    1/2 cup frozen Peaches
    1 cup water or sugar-free Apple Juice
    1/2 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein

6. Dark Chocolate Banana
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
    1/2 frozen Banana

7. Cheesecake Protein
    1 cup water or unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 oz fat-free Cream Cheese
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein
    1/4 cup crushed Graham Crackers

11. Snickers Mocha
    1 scoop Protein Powder
    1/2 cup cold Coffee
    1/2 cup skim or unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 tsp drops of sugar-free Caramel Creamer
    1/4-1/2 packet of sugar-free Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast
    3 Ice Cubes
    1 tsp Butternut flavoring extract

12. Sweet Strawberry
    2-3 scoops Vanilla Protein
    8 fluid oz Water
    1 fat-free Strawberry Yogurt or Greek Yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen Strawberries
    1 tsp Flaxseed Oil

you can cook your own food for cheaper than the cost of going out to dinner as well. this doesn't prove much of a point. it's a convenience of not having to do the work of cooking your own food as welll as the health benefits of it.

i'm not using shakeology since i lose weight by just modifying my diet, but just don't see the cost as a barrier.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I sleep better, have tons more energy, experience a better mood and I've lost 28 pounds. How? Eating fruit, veggies, whole grai s, lean meats, and dairy. Oh, and staying in my calorie level. I'd sell that idea, but lots of folks here already have heard about it.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It will slim down your wallet!

$4 a day does not sound expensive to me at all. no more expensive than other food.

Yeah, the price wouldn't turn me off if I really wanted to drink my meals instead of eat. I have lunches that are < $4 but I have some that over, too.

I've never compared it nutritionally against other meal replacement shakes to see how it measures up price-wise because I've never had the inclination to replace my food with a shake (unless maybe it's an old fashioned milkshake).
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand "meal replacement." I use protein drinks frequently as part of my every day intake, but I couldn't replace a meal with any drink short of a puree'd 8 ounce sirloin.

^^^ LOL... I make a protein shake with chocolate whey protein powder, a banana and skim milk for recovery but never as a meal replacement. I've seen and been one of those, who used some form of liquid diet but never learned proper nutrition, and gained back what I had lost.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes Valeriek92... those look great!!