What's the meanest thing someone said to you?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When I was in junior high, my older sister got pregnant at 16. She was already overweight and got even bigger after the pregnancy. I was very thin at the time. I ran into a relative of my sister's husband and she told me that was I getting fat and that I was going to be even fatter than my sister. Why would anyone say something like that? I probably weighed 95lbs when she told me that.

Those words stuck with me as my little sister got pregnant, gained a lot of weight, and then I grew a fear of becoming fat. My parents were also obese. I became anorexic. Luckily, I recovered.

Words can be harsh and that woman was a jerk. However, she has since died from smoking herself to death.
  • I think the worst is always - "you would so _______ IF you just lost some weight." Thanks Mom.

For me, it's more like "Thanks, Dad."
    "You know you could make some friends if you lost some weight."
    "You know you could do a sport and be good at something if you lost some weight."
    My Dad would say this kinda stuff to me all the time, since I was a heavy kid.
    Him, the kids at school, my football coach gym teacher...everyone was a real douche about it.

However,
    I think the meanest things ever said to me were implied through media. That I'd never be good enough unless I was as skinny as (insert model here), which, I never will be (nor do I want to be THAT skinny)
  • crazystupidthin
    Options
    That I looked like a double decker bus. I was 14 and still in school, my issues with my weight have been very volatile since
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I slipped and fell at work a few years ago and chipped a bone in my elbow, when my MIL heard about it she told me I was very lucky I didn't land on my leg funny cos at the size I am my leg would have snapped! I was roughly 175 at 5'6 so not really huge! Also after losing 35lbs recently we had a family function, I mentioned I needed to buy a new dress as all the ones I had were too big, " well they must be huge if they're big on you" was her reply.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    And then yesterday leaving work, I take the stairs in the parking garage on purpose. About 50 stairs and by the end I'm usually out of breath. A woman stepping off the elevator at the same time I reached the landing looked at me and said "the elevators exist for people like you" to which I said " I got looking this way taking the elevator that's why I'm doing the stairs. I'm able bodied" she just looked at me and walked away. How rude. "
    :mad: Can't believe how outright and rude people are. Not to mention they think it's perfectly acceptable.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I slipped and fell at work a few years ago and chipped a bone in my elbow, when my MIL heard about it she told me I was very lucky I didn't land on my leg funny cos at the size I am my leg would have snapped! I was roughly 175 at 5'6 so not really huge! Also after losing 35lbs recently we had a family function, I mentioned I needed to buy a new dress as all the ones I had were too big, " well they must be huge if they're big on you" was her reply.

Where does she park her broom when she comes to visit? :grumble: :angry: :explode: :mad:
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    At a 5K walk for breast cancer, I was with a group of people & one of the people quoted their partner who was also there "D*** said we could get you to walk faster if we held a donut on a string in front of you"

I'm sure it was meant to be funny but it was hurtful. :explode:
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    my ex told me i wasnt a real woman, because i didnt like housework.......hmmmmm answered to that he couldnt be a real man cos he didnt like decorating!!
    but worse than the digs, were the sleeping with other women behind my back, and telling me i obviously had no pride because i 'let myself go'.......really??????
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    "Well, you've always been lazy...." (with a giggle indicating that I was supposed to laugh and share the "joke" on myself. Uh--hello, no I'm NOT lazy....I work very hard at what I do. Just because sports are not the end all and be all of my life and I am not particularly physically talented (which I am SO OK with because I know I have many OTHER useful skills and talents and do not define myself by my physical skills or attributes), does NOT mean I am lazy!! My private comeuppance for that kind of attitude will be when I reach my goal weight which "just happens" to be the exact weight I was when the person who said the above started telling me I was OVERWEIGHT BUT which also happens to be right smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for my height. Knowing said person, she will be thrilled that I am so skinny again but for all the wrong reasons and camp on it and obsess over it and act like there's nothing more to me than what I weigh.....and the fact that she will be complimenting me (even for the wrong reasons and to obsession and annoyance) for being the same weight I was when she started haranguing me about my weight before I was ever even close to overweight....that's my own private vindication. Not that I really care what she thinks but still....there's some satisfaction in making her eat her own words even if she never acknowledges it!
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    When are you due?

>.<

This........I was like, I just lost 40 pounds...are you serious.........?

Same here!! I have a theory, if you don't know or are unsure, you just don't say a thing.
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    " No one will ever love you "

I was 6 at the time and a bit overweight and going through bone surgeries, I couldn't move so obviously I wasn't in the greatest shape. Then she made me go on the tredmill and cried when she looked at me because I was chubby.

Now I have an eating disorder and am very thin and she says " your so disgustingly thin now ew "
    I can never win.
    My sister said that to me. Still haunts me to this day. I'm getting better now though and rarely speak to her now
    blimey..you look fab to me, and she was obviously jealous!!:smile:
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ex husband and I were walking in the mall one day about 6 months after I gave birth to #1 child. Woman in front of us was dragging 3 small kids behind her. She might have been 120 lbs soaking wet. He looks at me says "she's had 3 babies back to back... what's your excuse again?!" ( I might have been 145 at the time.)

He harassed me constantly about my weight for years. Since he could eat anything and not gain, he criticized everything I did or didn't do. If I went walking, it wasn't fast enough. If I dieted, my calorie deficit wasn't big enough. I finally had enough after 15yrs and walked away. Told him find a skinny ***** to marry and leave me alone. Right after the divoce, he did. Ten yrs later, I get the last laugh because she might be thin - but she carries his testicles around in her purse and has no soul. Something about karma comes to mind.
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My grandfather used to call me names like water buffalo and hippo all the time. Also, that he could use my shirts or dresses as a tent. I managed to not let him see how much it hurt and my mom (this is her dad) would tell me not to worry about it because he didn't mean anything by it. Then one day my dad saw the tears in my eyes as I left the room and called him out on it. He hasn't said anything since that day except to tell me how good I'm doing now and how I look much better.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    These are all really heart breaking, and I'm sorry for all the pain. I've just realized that the people who ever say things to me have insecurities of their own, maybe even worse than my own. I've learned to stop heeding the words of those poisoning my life.
    Kudos to everyone here for taking that brave step in changing their lives in a healthy manner, whether you've lost 1 pound or over 100 :flowerforyou:.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How many have been told?

"at least I'm not fat!"

I think I was around 13 at the time. I didn't really know what to say to that.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I had just been forced to move back in with my dad because I broke up with my live-in boyfriend of 4 years. My first night back home:

Dad: I know it's probably a bad time to bring it up, but you've put on weight.
    Me: Are you kidding me right now?
    Dad: I just remember when you were skinny when you were younger.
    Me: Oh, when you used to tell me I had an eating disorder?!

I know he didn't mean to be hurtful, but what the hell, dad. Cue me joining the gym the next day.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    who are you going to please with that little thing
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

My new boss: You would be super sexy if you lost some of that stomach and that fat *kitten*! - GEEZZ ! Thanks! 0_o

New boss again- I was going wedding dress shopping: Do they make wedding dress in your size?? Careful not to break one, since your probably going to be very tight in there!
    (After a long talk about how I don't want his opinion on my weight and that he was mean and rude, he apologized and now doesn't mention my weight)

Wow! Harassment much? How very inappropriate for a boss to say. Especially a man! I would've tore him a new one (or reported him)...
  • Kalebsmommy424
    Kalebsmommy424 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "Would it be easier if I was on top?"

-Classic Burn

Ouch..
  • Kalebsmommy424
    Kalebsmommy424 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's a tie...

"I still love you... but I'm not IN love you." :sad:

or...