What's the meanest thing someone said to you?

Options

Replies

• mylove0mylife
    Options
    When I was about 40 - 50 pounds lighter I went into a "normal" store with my friend (who is tall and skinny), and I was just thumbing through the racks. Knowing that some stores don't go above a L or a size 12, I asked the store clerk what size they went up to. She said, "Not big enough to fit you."

Luckily my friend heard and walked over saying, "I guess they're too small for me as well.", and we walked out.

Another thing was my mom used to compare me to my aunt, who is extremely over weight, in order to "motivate me" to lose weight. Since we share the same middle name, she used to call me the name of my sister, and say mean things.

I've also had people say "You'd be so pretty if you lost a little weight". That one hurts.

The harshest one though, not about weight, was when I got dismissed from college...and asked my mom for her information so I could apply to the local community college. We ended up getting into a discussion and my mom said (I quote), "When I was pregnant with you, I stopped drinking because I loved you. Now, I'm drinking to forget you exist." Then she started to cry, and my dad yelled at me for making her cry. Seriously?! -sighs-
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It's a tie...

"I still love you... but I'm not IN love you." :sad:

or...

"Just go ahead and finish, I'm not going to c*m" :noway:

WOW..way harsh...
    In my last apartment, the neighbors used to have screaming loud, obnoxious sex, so one morning I went and put a sticky note on their door that said "She's faking it." They seemed to make an effort to be quieter after that.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    It's a tie...

or...

WOW..way harsh...
    In my last apartment, the neighbors used to have screaming loud, obnoxious sex, so one morning I went and put a sticky note on their door that said "She's faking it." They seemed to make an effort to be quieter after that.

I'm sorry...but that's funny!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    It's a tie...

or...

WOW..way harsh...

we are sorry about that
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    It's a tie...

or...

WOW..way harsh...

WIN! ^
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    When are you due?

>.<

I've usually gotten that one when i only weigh about 30 pounds more than my preferred weight, not when I'm a lot heavier. So I like to say, "Oh I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat. But thank you." They are MORTIFIED.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    one of the meanest things that anyone said to me was an ex boyfriend said I was as big as a whale when I was pregnant with my oldest child..My kids use to make comments when I started working on losing weight about my belly jiggling and being jiggly in other places and I told them that wasn't very nice and I know you didn't mean to hurt my feelings but it does and makes me sad when you say stuff like that and they have never said anything else hurtful again to me when it comes to me weight and being jiggly.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Once when I was a kid...maybe 14 years old. I had this huge crush on a guy and was trying to look pretty to get his attention. Ummmm. He told me that I looked "like an elephant". THat was over thirty years ago and I still remember how much that stung.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    When I was in 10th grade, I was a size 14. My dad bought me a coat I wanted for Christmas and I told him what size I wore, but when I opened it up, it was a size 22. I asked him why he got a 22 and he said, "That's what the saleslady wore and you and she are about the same size."
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A speaking scale told me, "hey, one person at a time, PLEASE!"
  • enigmachik
    Options
    too too many to count. Here are a few that rank among the top:

1. Having a guy pinch my back fat and say, "what happened??"

2. Having someone say (after we had fooled around) that they could never date a fat person.

3. Being told that no one would ever love me.

The third one was the worst because it played on my own fear. I have never been able to get those words out of my head. Part of me still believes it is true and no one will ever love me. Those words haunt me to this day.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Sending out love and support to all. Hope you can all heal, rise about these things and meet your goals!
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's a tie...

or...

WOW..way harsh...

THIS is absolutely genius and hillarious... :)
  • Focusing_on_Liz
    Options
    When are you due?

>.<

I was asked that about 2 weeks ago. When people say that I pisses me off.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    too too many to count. Here are a few that rank among the top:

1. Having a guy pinch my back fat and say, "what happened??"

2. Having someone say (after we had fooled around) that they could never date a fat person.

3. Being told that no one would ever love me.

The third one was the worst because it played on my own fear. I have never been able to get those words out of my head. Part of me still believes it is true and no one will ever love me. Those words haunt me to this day.

People are b*tches
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    When are you due?

>.<

Usually, people are trying to make polite conversation when they say that, and the person who says it is, generally, as embarrassed as the recipient, when there's no pregnancy. My husband's good advice is to never assume a woman is pregnant unless you see a baby emerging from the birth canal. I'm sure that advice has saved me from embarrassment a number of times. I had a boss who was asked that question in the gym, to which she replied, in anger, "I'm not pregnant." Actually, she was 5 months pregnant and didn't know. :laugh:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    A speaking scale told me, "hey, one person at a time, PLEASE!"

This made me pause. Surely that's a joke, right?
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I went to my 20th class reunion just 2 months after my husband walked out on me. I wasn't in the mood to go, but friends thought it would be a good idea. One guy came up to me and said I had gained some weight...like I didn't already know. I said, yes, I would like to lose about 50 lbs. He actually said, "No, you should lose more like 75." Nice.
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your face looks the same...but your body, not so much...........
  • learningtolovemyself1972
    Options
    As all of us with weight issues have had horrible things said to us- to me the worst is being completely ignored as if my existence is insignficant whether its at a store, people standing around making plans to go out that night, etc. That hurts more than what has been said to me over the years. At least if something is said I have the opportunity for a sarcastic comment but when people look at you, right through you, that hurts.