What's the meanest thing someone said to you?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm about 50 lbs over weight. A few months ago when we had a family get together at my grandmother's, she patted my stomach and said, "Suck it in!" She then went on to explain, if I did that, my belly wouldn't look so big. She does the same type of thing to my mother. Tells my mom that she never thought she'd live to see the day when my mom would be so huge & 2 seconds later is trying to force coffee cake on her. It's all I can do not to tell her we're using food to comfort ourselves when she acts like a *****.

My MIL does that with my husband. Tells him he needs to lose weight, but constantly shoves food at him.
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I've had my share of purposefully mean comments, especially back in school, though I wasn't even overweight back then. The things that have hurt most haven't been mean on purpose, really.

My mom went through a phase of constantly telling me to get weight loss surgery, giving me links to studies on them, to newspaper stories on happy thin people who've had the surgery and talking about how much happier I'd be with that. This continued even after I'd carefully explained to her that my doctor thought I wasn't obese enough to need surgery and wouldn't recommend it to me anyway, because of my eating disorder past. I also explained how I just really didn't WANT to have surgery, but would rather lose my weight through diet and exercise. I eventually snapped at her in a crying, yelling fit about how hurtful I found the constant comments, and she did apologise and has since been pretty supportive of my slow approach.

I think the most hurtful thing was a totally well meaning relative who was convinced I was pregnant. I'd just had a failed IVF attempt and was trying to talk myself out of another relapse into bulimia, so timing really wasn't great. My sister was actually pregnant at the time, and she must have had us mixed up or something, but I still think it was bizarre that she then went on to argue against me when I quietly explained that it wasn't me who was pregnant. We we in a very public situation and she was very loud about it, patting my fatty stomach and congratulating and telling me there was no use to be so coy about it etc. A real "please floor swallow me" moment... I think I just made fun of my own fatness and fled to cry in the toilet.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Oh ya, thought of another one that sticks out.

I was treating my rather lightweight mother to an eyebrow day at a salon. They took me back first and I could hear the hostess lady talking to my mom.

(Imagine this in a Asian accent) "Wow, that's you daughter?! She double you size!"

Bless my mom she pretended not to hear it. Now granted at this point I probably was double (plus some) her size.
  • ArieB88wechanged
    Options
    The meanest thing people said to me was- you are sooo pretty but you have too much weight/too heavy
    - Maybe you should work out instead of eating ya know to lose weight...
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband called me "Abrams Tank", ("but I really like big butts..."). Right....
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    These comments aren't weight related, but my soon to be ex (whom I have been with since I was 14 yrs old...21 yrs together) said to me 7 mos ago..I am a gold digging *kitten*, I am disgusting, he wished he never met or married me, I am an "easy f**k, everyone gets in my pants ( I am the shyest girl ever!) and this one takes the cake...(in front of my 8 yr old son) I need a bullet and to be buried out back! Yeah cruel! He wants me back and I'm not havin it!
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Your not even THAT big....:frown: :frown:
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    My nephew who is 9 was writing sentences for fun, and one of the sentences he wrote was: "Kristi (me) is the fattest person alive." I was so hurt , it was stupid because he's only nine but I seriously felt like crying.
  • teampugador
    Options
    Wow I really had thought I was past most of the things that were said to me over the years, but going through this thread brought back so many memories.

Being 8 years old, overweight, and a tomboy with short cut hair. Meeting up with a group of "friends" at their school bus stop and having a random young girl say to me "Hey are you a boy or girl?" I replied with "Girl!" befuddled as to why she'd ask. Her response? "What'd you say? You're a hippopotamus?" My "friends" all laughed. That's the first time i remember being conscious of my weight, and I went into an unhealthy 10-year bout of depression full of drinking, and self-mutilation.

I got this too. I believe I was in 4th or 5th grade and had just recently chopped a good amount of hair off due to lice. Some girl shouted out in front of everyone at recess "Are you a boy or a girl?!"

When I was in 8th grade and shopping for a promotion dress with my mom. I tried on a yellow dress and when I came out of the dressing room my mom said "You look like a bus." I love my mom and she has weight issues of her own, she just doesn't realize the consequences of her words a lot of the time.

When I was 13 my dad sat me down and told me that I needed to lose 40lbs... That was it. No reasoning, no explanation, just lose 40lbs.

During my junior year of college I was having a conversation with a friend I've know since I was 10. I told him I was going to watch what I ate and try to lose some weight. His response... "I've heard that one before."

There's only one person in this world who has said things to me about my weight and my appearance that has stuck with me.

That person is me.

Anything anyone else has ever said I can't remember but I remember every horrible, mean, cruel thing I've said to myself.

):

I can relate to this one too. I am definitely my worst critic. I come up with the meanest things and say them to myself before someone else can. I think it was my way of dealing with people judging my weight. I thought if I was able to say it to myself first then it wouldn't hurt when someone else said it later.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Once when I saw my grandmother for the first time in about 10 years she said "You get fatter every time I see you"

Another time my roommate said "You'd be so much hotter than your sister if you lost like..60lbs"

And once I commented on how this VERY large and unattractive (you'd have to know this person) could have found such a good guy, in both looks and life and she said "Fat and Ugly with a hot husband. Well, you of all people should know"
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I boarded a plane and the attendant greeted me, then offered me a seat belt extender.
    I was a size 16 at the time.
    Wow.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been reading all these posts, and some of them have made me want to cry. Whats worse is that there are 20 pages of them - thats a lot of mean things that have been said.

I have been quite lucky in that my family and friends have never really said nasty things about my weight, and are generally supportive of my efforts to lose it, but there are 3 incidents that really stand out for me.

1) in a local very busy supermarket one day, i came out of an aisle and a man crashed his trolley into mine. I started to apologise, as i usually do in those kind of situations, even tho it was his fault, and he just looked at me and said really loudly, get out of the way you fat ***** and walked off. I just stood there, stunned and upset that a total stranger would say that!!

2) i had just started working in a local pub and was collecting glasses. I walked up to a table and one of the customers said f*** me, its lurch. And it really upset me, and again, i couldnt believe how nasty a stranger could be. A couple of years later, when i was a manager at the pub, his brother got a job there, and after a few drinks after work one night, i told him what his brother had said, and how it had upset me. A few days later, the man apologised and said he was drunk, and had said it because i was tall (i'm 5 ft 10) but to this day, it hurts when i think about it.

3)And recently, i had started to think more about healthy eating and activity, when a skinny colleague, whose job it is to support and motivate people into making healthy lifestyle changes, overheard me talking to another colleague about what i was doing and that i'd lost weight and interrupted it "but you keep starting these things and never stick to the do you? so i cant imagine why you would think this time will be any different" ! All i could think was, i'm glad i'm not one of her clients with that attitude!!

But we are all fabulous people, and with support and otivation from each other, we will all achieve our goals and leave the mean people and comments far behind us.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I hope you die son.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    At age ten:

"Wow, you have a really fat double-chin."

In the last four years, I have received plenty of criticism from my 280+lb grandmother (once upon a time, she was very slim and beautiful).

"Can he even see what's going on down there when you have sex?"

"You should wear those pants, they look so good on your figure" (regarding my extremely baggy, shapeless pants).

"You have the flattest *kitten* I've ever seen."

"You need to lose a couple of pounds. You used to have a flat tummy."

"Pull in your stomach muscles, you're getting a big tummy."

"Are you pregnant?"

"Your butt is really flat and low."

"You shouldn't wear a two-piece. You should get a nice one piece with a really good shaper to keep it all in."

"You should get a cover-up. No one wants to see that."

"You're getting fat in the face."

I could go on. :frown:

I hate birthday and Christmas gifts. I always get 2XL shirts and size 16 pants. I wear a size L and size 12.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    1) in a local very busy supermarket one day, i came out of an aisle and a man crashed his trolley into mine. I started to apologise, as i usually do in those kind of situations, even tho it was his fault, and he just looked at me and said really loudly, get out of the way you fat ***** and walked off. I just stood there, stunned and upset that a total stranger would say that!!

2) i had just started working in a local pub and was collecting glasses. I walked up to a table and one of the customers said f*** me, its lurch. And it really upset me, and again, i couldnt believe how nasty a stranger could be. A couple of years later, when i was a manager at the pub, his brother got a job there, and after a few drinks after work one night, i told him what his brother had said, and how it had upset me. A few days later, the man apologised and said he was drunk, and had said it because i was tall (i'm 5 ft 10) but to this day, it hurts when i think about it.
    OMG it must've sooo painful to be on the receiving end of such nasty comments. Strangers who don't even know what a wonderful you are think they can say such awful things then carry on with their life. They don't give the recipient of their comment a second thought but that person carries the sentiment around forever. It takes a strong person not to be affected by such things.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    oh, and i just thought of another one - maybe i should read another thread and get my mind off remembering all the bad things!!

The bar in the pub i worked in was L shaped, and went into 2 rooms, so the customers couldn't see who was round the corner, but we as bar staff could see and hear both bars, especially if we were stood in the bend of the L. One night, i had served a customer and walked back round the bar, but stopped at the bend to do something, so i could hear the people i had just served, but they couldn't see me. One of them said, I like her, she's lovely, maybe if i was 10 years younger... to which his companion (someone i knew quite well, and thought i got on with) replied you need to get your eyed tested mate, she's nothing to look at!

Now,i don't expect people to think i'm pretty or anything, but to hear that said about you at your place of work, by someone you thought you got on with, in front of a crowd of people you see on a regular basis was pretty harsh.

Right, gonna try to think of the nice things people have said to me now!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, Dad's girlfriend, who was also overweight, told me I'd never get a man looking like this. I told her she didn't seem to have any trouble. I'm still shocked I did that as I was quite shy and reserved at the time.

She never mentioned my weight again and she didn't last much longer. Still hurt at the time, though. I think I was like 16/ 17?
  • kindleworm99
    Options
    actually mines opposite but it made me mad I remember when i was smaller i was shopping with my mom at a lane bryant store and all the overweight employees look at me and said "We don't have sizes for you honey" i was helping my mom gosh It made me mad though lol