Eating 1200 calories a day?

Is it normal to have to try to eat 1200 calories a day?
I only eat when I'm hungry and I find that generally I eat about 500-800 calories a day and sometimes if I eat a lot of unhealthy stuff I'll get up to about 1000 but unless I stuff my face I can't reach 1200?
Also I worry that if I eat too much I'll become fat, like today I feel fat and sick and ugh I hate it.

I'd probably be described as having disordered eating and the thought of not being on MFP scares me because then I wouldn't know what I'm eating and if I've had too much fat or sugar (which often happens even at 700-ish cals a day because of sugary tea :D)

But I don't know what to do because I can't work out due to an injury when I was younger and the thought of eating 1200cals scares me, just because I'd have to eat a hell of a lot to get there and food=fat to me.

Really I just need help because I'm worried about starvation mode but I don't see the point of eating more food than I'm even hungry for?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Um, if you are not eating at least 1200 cals a day, you need to find ways to pack calories(protein shake, Peanut Butter, Nuts) into your meals. If you are scared about eating, you probably should see someone about that. If you fear food, that is the first step towards an eating disorder and you should talk to your doctor about it before it gets worse.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    I eat 1200 and lost 28lbs since the beginning of sep I workout at least 4 times a week x
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Seriously what kind of food are people eating that they can't get to 1200 calories? Are you like, eating a tomato and calling it a day? An apple alone has about 130, put some food in your mouth! Peanut Butter, nuts, meat, they're all calorific.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Please speak to a professional about this....
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Seriously what kind of food are people eating that they can't get to 1200 calories? Are you like, eating a tomato and calling it a day? An apple alone has about 130, put some food in your mouth! Peanut Butter, nuts, meat, they're all calorific.

I completely agree with this. Wow. And second yes my dear it sounds like you should talk to someone. Even if it is just a nutrionist....
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    This does concern me, between the super low calories (which means less of a chance for your body to get the nutrients and energy it needs) and that you yourself described your habits as possibly eating disordered.

Your body needs adequate nutrition for many reasons.

A strong and healthy body rocks. I personally know two people who have gone into cardiac arrest before the age of 21 because of eating disorders......Not trying to scare you, but they can very negatively affect one's body in a *lot* of ways. Please talk to someone you trust as well as your doctor.

You deserve to be strong and healthy :)
  • generally for breakfast i'll have marmite on toast, i don't have lunch because I don't feel hungry during the day but when I get home I'll have a snack like a cereal bar or a banana and a couple of teaspoons of nutella and then for dinner i'll have a variation on chicken, potatoes and vegetables, or maybe chicken and pasta and vegetables (a large plateful).

I do log absolutely everything I eat (my diary's for friends to view)
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member

This.

This is not something that the MFP forums is going to help you with. You need to see someone who specializes in eating disorders.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    I would say from the slogan on your profile pic and the way you speak you need to seek professional help....you are in for a lifetime of misery if you let an eating disorder get hold of you...this will in all likelyhood involve you being infertile and dying early.....go see someone....good luck....x
  • EVERYONE is different! Depends on how much you are working out, metabolism, and a ton of other factors. I would zig zag your caloric intake so your body doesnt adjust.
  • jaybird951
    jaybird951 Posts: 53 Member
    thats tough. good luck keeping the weight off once your inner hungry self comes back home.!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    i don't have lunch

Have lunch
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    look, there is a lot of people on here beating you up about your caloric intake without knowing alot about you. first if you have a small frame and are a really really really small person to begin with, your bmr might be around 1200 calories. that should place you at about 95 lbs...and sedentary. but im gonna guess that you are slightly larger than that. who knows but you...and you have to be honest with yourself...
    if you are active you need to add more calories in too. you can seriously jack up your metabolism if you cut calories too low. you can cause hormonal problems too. calories are important...your body needs that.

if your not active you should be. you can get lean by nutrition alone but if you want to add curves, hit the iron. lifting weights wont bulk you up, but it will add shape. it will keep away the "skinny fat". where you lose weight but still look squishy. that may not even be a concern for you.

but set realistic goals, eat right, feed that body. check out fat2fitradio.com and bodybuilding.com for some insight to nutrition...nutrition is KING. all the supliments, mostly garbage...just eat right, you can do it:glasses:
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0

excellent advice!! this is all you need to know
  • i haven't really provided much information,
    i'm 5'3" and about 124lbs, i've got quite large 'assets' but a slim torso, however my lower stomach bulges outwards but is rock hard, and you can see abs, possibly due to having a layer of fat under the muscle.
    it is my thighs that i really hate but they are almost totally muscle (you can't pinch up any skin, especially if you don't want to cause pain that lasts a good few minutes), however I have no butt. my legs are big because of lots of sprinting and long jump at school so I have massive sprinters thighs. my arms are also very muscular due to stable work such as lifting water buckets and hay bales from a young age and so even just tying my hair gives me biceps most people work hard for, but i really don't like it.

i want to lose muscle without gaining fat.

most people would totally disagree and say I should just do some squats and lunges to tone my butt up and i'll look great but i really hate it. whether its muscle or fat, it still means i'm bigger than all of my friends when i wear jeans and i really hate how i look in shorts and vest tops, like some kind of body builder.

so if any of you have any tips on how to lose muscle (without immobilising) or making it less big/thick then i'll take all of that on board but believe me, toning is not going to make me look any thinner

and accepting it isn't going to help either, i've hated how big i am most of my life tbh
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    You need professional help, not a message board.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member

i want to lose muscle without gaining fat.

You need to see a Dr and talk to your parents, seriously,
  • frando
    frando Posts: 584 Member
    Before I started eating over 1500 calories a day, I didn't loose any weight.

Just look at things like nuts, which are in high in calories and other good nutrients.

Good luck :3
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

^^ This.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    This person speaks the truth.

I call BS, cause if you couldnt stomach more than 1200 calories, you wouldnt be here trying to "lose" weight. Just admit that you have an eating disorder and you won't allow yourself to eat more than 1200 calories.
This discussion has been closed.