Eating 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    wall of text guy has made the situation worse. She is less likely to get help. It will take her longer to realize there is a problem. This is really sad.

OP, you deserve better than this. At one point you were seeking help. I presume because your parents took you. You have a diagnosis. This is a real thing. You deserve better than this. Please go get help. Don't seek solace from people who do not know you and will encourage the very behavior that likely caused your family to get you help in the first place.

BTW, I noticed that you did say that you eat meat. I had missed that earlier, and I was glad to see it.

I find fault with that statement. Honest and open discussions about eating habits and eating disorders and what may or may not constitute a disorder can never be bad.

Tell me, how does eating low calorie while feeling full = an eating disorder? Is she underweight? By your reasoning and your own comparing calorie needs between people, I have an eating disorder as well. And I can assure you that I do not.

I don't think that my statement led to anything harmful, I think it might have been a missing puzzle piece that OP was looking for. She cam ehere seeking answers on why she was full when eating so few calories. Maybe she wasn't logging everything and sneaking in 200 or 300 calories without realizing it. Maybe she doesn't need more than what she is eating.

I told you I'm from a short family, and my mom was overweight at 115 pounds. She's 4'10. and she has days where she eats maybe 1000 calories, and days where she will eat maybe 600. She logged because the doctors freaked out on her when she had to get a benign tumor removed and she wasn't eating everything the hospital served. She JUST doesn't eat that much. Some people don't.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Curious OP, are you seeking thinspiration? You know what I mean ana.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Your attitude is a bit worrying, and your diet is kind of scary -- not just the low calorie count, but also the low nutritional value of the calories you're eating. ( Humans cannot live well on bread and bananas alone. ;-)

Maybe you could try eating some protein at breakfast, instead of bread and butter and Marmite. What about toast and Marmite and an egg? or Greek yogurt and berries and flax seed? or a poached egg with salsa and avocado?

Then, you could eat or drink a little lunch; maybe some chicken-vegetable soup? or a microwaved sweet potato? or a chocolate protein shake? or an egg and a grapefruit?

Maybe have a salad and tuna for your evening snack? or some celery and goat cheese? or a glass of vegetable juice and some cottage cheese? or a cup of soup?

Then, yes, a nice dinner.

At a minimum, I would think, you need to talk to a nutritionist. You can't have been getting the nutrients you need on that diet.

For exercise, you might consider swimming and Pilates, which both tend to encourage a smoother line.

But the basic build you have is what you have; even famine victims still show differences in body shape. Those of us not built like Kate Moss will never look like her, no matter what we do.

Meanwhile, if you concentrate on eating not just more but better -- aim for more vegetables and fruit, and pick them from the "superfood" lists -- you can show off better skin and hair and nails. (Some recent study in the UK showed that teens who ate at least five servings a day of non-starchy veg developed much better complexions!)

Good luck! Please, take care of yourself.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    eat more, anytime i went below 1300 i plateaued or gained weight because your body isn't getting enough nutrients.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What you wrote:
    Tell me, how does eating low calorie while feeling full = an eating disorder? Is she underweight? By your reasoning and your own comparing calorie needs between people, I have an eating disorder as well. And I can assure you that I do not.

Reread this & then go research leptin.

"The reason you found yourself eating less and less over time is because leptin levels drop during calorie restriction. When you eat enough to fuel your body, leptin signals that you have eaten enough and are full. However, when leptin levels decrease, your body signals you are full despite not meeting your daily energy demands. In other words, your hunger signaling gets messed up which is why basing how much one eats during calorie restriction should not be on how hungry you are."
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    wall of text guy has made the situation worse. She is less likely to get help. It will take her longer to realize there is a problem. This is really sad.

OP, you deserve better than this. At one point you were seeking help. I presume because your parents took you. You have a diagnosis. This is a real thing. You deserve better than this. Please go get help. Don't seek solace from people who do not know you and will encourage the very behavior that likely caused your family to get you help in the first place.

BTW, I noticed that you did say that you eat meat. I had missed that earlier, and I was glad to see it.

I find fault with that statement. Honest and open discussions about eating habits and eating disorders and what may or may not constitute a disorder can never be bad.

I don't think that my statement led to anything harmful, I think it might have been a missing puzzle piece that OP was looking for. She cam ehere seeking answers on why she was full when eating so few calories. Maybe she wasn't logging everything and sneaking in 200 or 300 calories without realizing it. Maybe she doesn't need more than what she is eating.

I told you I'm from a short family, and my mom was overweight at 115 pounds. She's 4'10. and she has days where she eats maybe 1000 calories, and days where she will eat maybe 600. She logged because the doctors freaked out on her when she had to get a benign tumor removed and she wasn't eating everything the hospital served. She JUST doesn't eat that much. Some people don't.

For clarity can you post your:

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Just so we can all be in the same book.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone is diagnosing you with an eating disorder. . . . LMAO :laugh: Have them all show you their degrees in Psychology and/or Nutrition. My guess is that they don't have one! :noway:

On a serious note, you might consider contacting Helloitsdan if you really want to learn how to eat more calories and still lose. He has helped a lot of people get on track. :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    look, there is a lot of people on here beating you up about your caloric intake without knowing alot about you. first if you have a small frame and are a really really really small person to begin with, your bmr might be around 1200 calories. that should place you at about 95 lbs...and sedentary. but im gonna guess that you are slightly larger than that. who knows but you...and you have to be honest with yourself...
    if you are active you need to add more calories in too. you can seriously jack up your metabolism if you cut calories too low. you can cause hormonal problems too. calories are important...your body needs that.

if your not active you should be. you can get lean by nutrition alone but if you want to add curves, hit the iron. lifting weights wont bulk you up, but it will add shape. it will keep away the "skinny fat". where you lose weight but still look squishy. that may not even be a concern for you.

but set realistic goals, eat right, feed that body. check out fat2fitradio.com and bodybuilding.com for some insight to nutrition...nutrition is KING. all the supliments, mostly garbage...just eat right, you can do it:glasses:

This.

Like others have said, you can't provide your body with the nutrition it needs to be HEALTHY if you're only eating 500-800 calories a day. There are a lot of healthy, good-for-you foods that are high in calories....nuts, peanut butter, some fruits and vegetables, meat, etc. It's about being healthy, not necessarily being thin.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm just not engaging in the wall of text thing any more. It is against my genetics.

Had you actually read the WHOLE thread rather than responding to a small portion of it without getting the context (watch out on that btw, there's a guy in here who gets REALLY upset if people do that), you would have noticed that she disclosed HERSELF that she has a diagnosed disorder: Body Dismorphic Disorder. You would have noticed that her weight is well within the normal range (as is her height, btw) and that her complaint is that she has muscles. Despite her lowish weight and low bf% she is looking to lose weight and is eating at a ridiculously low level, particularly given the number of people who have told you that they have confirmation that at that height, their BMR's are WAY above 800 calories.

In a situation like that, seriously, offering her, without knowing a darn thing about her, and not having actually read the thread for comprehension, an excuse to continue eating at a ridiculously low level so she can acheive her goal of starving away the muscles on her legs (and the vital organs that will go with it), is actually NOT a good idea.

She disclosed having an ACTUAL mental disorder, which by definition distorts her way of thinking. In that instance, wall of text guy, it really IS a situation in which an open discussion of eating habits and whatever else you said really IS something with the potential to cause damage no matter how interesting you find it to talk about your short family in someone else's thread. Unless of course, you are her psychiatrist and this is part of your treatment plan?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone is diagnosing you with an eating disorder. . . . LMAO :laugh: Have them all show you their degrees in Psychology and/or Nutrition. My guess is that they don't have one! :noway:

On a serious note, you might consider contacting Helloitsdan if you really want to learn how to eat more calories and still lose. He has helped a lot of people get on track. :flowerforyou:

No one is diagnosing her (well maybe other than the girl who called her ana). She herself disclosed that she has Body Dismorphic Disorder. I am taking her at her word.
  • jojorh
    jojorh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please talk to a nutritionist, and a good therapist. I used to be anorexic and it sounds to me that you are. It is not a fun road. I would look at dog food and want to eat itl No joke, it is a very serious mental thing. You might struggle with it for a long time, or struggle with bad eating habits. I would suggest increasing your calories and doing weight lifting, dont eat too little, its not worth it, you are beautiful no matter But, dont start binge eating or anything, be detmined to be a healthy you, not a skinny you.

Hope this helps a little- but please see a therapist.:smile:
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Sure, I'm 27
    I'm every last bit of 5'4.99" high.
    I started on Sept 12th at 210, 34% body fat - I am now 180 @25.6% bf
    I sit at a ****ing desk all..day.. long. Plugging numbers into a spreadsheet, and hating the majority of it 6 days a week.
    I work out 3 times a week for an hour, 30 miuntes with a personal trainer who loves to murder my muscles, and then 20-30 minutes of sprints and jogs on the treadmill afterwards.
  • jojorh
    jojorh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I did not read this whole posting before I responded. My advice is only one opinion, and I wanted to be helpful. Please pick and choose who you listen to wisely. But 800 calories is not enough fuel I dont think. Because that was what I was eating when I was anorexic. Be strong and love yourself, the most! important person to love you is you :blushing:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I actually help people lose weight.
    I can help you too if you like.

If you have low energy expenditure and get your base macros in then knock yourself out.
    You want 1g protein per pound of LBM.
    You want .40-.75g essential fats per pound LBM.
    You want proper carbs for fuel depending on your activity.

Do t know what I'm doing?
    Ill notify my "clients" that thru just got lucky on their fat loss.

Ps: I have shorter women with more fat than you losing weight faster than you eating more than you.
    It's because they do it right.

Let me know if you need help.
    Just PM me!
    =D

Well I just might do that, I meant no disrespect up above. sometimes my responses can be... unmeasured. However I have to say that I don't FEEL like I need to eat moar.. I am trying to take in my weight/g in protein.. which is hard because I have to eat fish or chicken ALL day or choke down those revolting protein shakes to get there. So I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm honestly AFRAID to eat more. and I don't have the hunger to eat more. If you guys want us shorter people to eat more calories, then it's going to be junk.

Like I said above X amount of food makes me full. One head of broccoli gets me full, and I have to force in the chicken breast after it to finish the meal. Or I can snack a small side of french fries and get my 500 calories in one sitting =)

No you don't have to eat french fries. Why don't you try eating some avocado, nuts or seeds, peanut butter, full fat dairy etc etc??? You'll do your body a favour and your taste buds in the process.
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    Okay, the criteria for particular eating disorders is very clean, guys. I would not say she has anorexia yet guys, but OP, you do seem to have hints of ED-NOS, which is what I suffered from and still struggle with. Your fear of feeling and gaining weight is a key characteristic of that and I'm wondering what your food diary looks like...are you having one big meal? Try having smaller, more calories dense meals throughout the day? Nuts are very healthy...they are labelled as high fat but the unprocessed 'raw' ones are healthy and the fats in them are healthy ones.

I suggest having a look at Dan's plan and trying it for a week or two with the food suggestions people have given.

If you want to add me, feel free, and if you are worried that you have disordered eating, speak to a doctor or phone someone. There are loads of different free anomonyous services that can give you advice :) Trust me tht ED-NOS CAN turn into Anorexia but it sounds like you do want to eat more.

Take it from me and a lot of other people in Dan's 'crew' that you can eat more, lose weight and still have your diet very healthy for the calories you take in.

I wish you luck and support in whatever your choices are <3
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Sure, I'm 27
    I sit at a ****ing desk all..day.. long. Plugging numbers into a spreadsheet, and hating the majority of it 6 days a week.
    I work out 3 times a week for an hour, 30 miuntes with a personal trainer who loves to murder my muscles, and then 20-30 minutes of sprints and jogs on the treadmill afterwards.

So starting stats 5'5" 210 34%BF with LBM 138.6lbs
    Working out 3x a week circuit style.
    Now at 5'5" 180 26%BF with LBM 133.2lbs

BMR 1678
    TDEE 2600-2850 daily.

How long have you been dieting down and what's your average daily intake?
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Sure, I'm 27
    [/quote]

BMR 1678
    TDEE 2600-2850 daily.

[/quote]

Well my journal is open, and I log every day. It's accurate minus the occasional single cracker I sneak in. I eat in the neighborhood of 1000 calories day in and day out, with a multivitamin and protein shakes most days. I've been dieting like this since I hired my trainer Sept 12th. And she tells me the same thing, I eat too little. I ask myself if I am truly hungry, or just bored and want to graze - and usually I can wait a bit longer. I eat when I want, I just don't eat that often.

I've tried eating frequently, every couple of hours, all at once, fasting, gorging, low carbs. low fats. with cardio. without cardio. My workouts mostly consist of weight training, lifting. She wants me to do crossfit and I just growl at her. Cardio leaves me out of breath, but unspent, weight training leaves me feeling weak and spent and unable to walk after squatting heavy enough. I just hit a new high in squatting though, I was able to do 205 x3

In high school I was able to do 405 squatting. I want to get back there while slashing off this belleh.

I hit 180 a month ago, and have been at this plateau for 3 weeks now.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Sure, I'm 27

BMR 1678
    TDEE 2600-2850 daily.

The guy is not eating enough PERIOD.

Just keep it simple.

HIS weight x 12-14
    Protien= 1g
    Fat=.35-.50 per lb of LBM or weight
    CHO= fill the rest in

Profit.

The guy is in denial. His whole family is over weight due to overeating (undereating too) and a lack of exercise.
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options
    Find other ways to add calories to your smoothies. And eat things with protein in them, even if its a greek yogurt, most are about 150 calories and have a decent amount of protein.
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options
    I know it was't the short guy cuz he just showed up

Oh gee thanks.

GAWD way to just quote a small portion and miss the biggest point!! Oh EMM GEEE!!!

Are we on here to argue or help? I'm trying to read advice for the poor girl and all I keep seeing are constant battles between everyone else. MFP should be a positive environment, if someone says something you don't like, simply ignore it. I just don't understand some people, how old are we?
This discussion has been closed.