Eating 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    no, dont lose ur legs, man, what a waist to have nice legs and get them all bony...

so according to your thoughts on losing muscle you will give up your nice muscular legs and still have a flat butt? thats what your talking about...

start hitting the squats and lunges and hamstring curls and make sure to get a good pinch at the top...its your body, build it dont tear it down.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    the thing is guys, i dont restrict.
    i've posted what i eat, it's a normal amount, i have two full meals a day and snacks during the day and treat myself at weekends.
    yes, i do hate how my body looks and i've tried coming to terms but it isn't happening.
    what i worry is that if my body's used to eating about 700 cals a day, surely eating more than twice that means i'll start gaining weight because at about 1000 i find that i maintain my weight and i have never been diagnosed with an eating disorder, looked slim, fainted through lack of food or anything. i don't suffer from how little i eat, i never have.

This is why you need to talk to a professional. If you think eating 700 calories is not restricting, you have a lot to learn about nutrition. I hope you find someone to help you.
  • justarandomperson
    Options
    i've posted what i eat, it's a normal amount, i have two full meals a day and snacks during the day and treat myself at weekends.
    yes, i do hate how my body looks and i've tried coming to terms but it isn't happening.
    what i worry is that if my body's used to eating about 700 cals a day, surely eating more than twice that means i'll start gaining weight because at about 1000 i find that i maintain my weight and i have never been diagnosed with an eating disorder, looked slim, fainted through lack of food or anything. i don't suffer from how little i eat, i never have.
    Eating 700 calories a day is a eating disorder. I would bet my life that there is no visible muscle on your body at all. The comment of you having muscular thighs is comical. At your level of calorie consumption it's impossible.

I suggest you go seek help regarding your body image and not here asking questions.
    I have not made up the fact I am muscular. I honestly thought I was fat (and still do) until I was diagnosed with BDD years ago and it was explained to me about the fact I have short-twitch muscle fibres meaning my legs are thick and bulky. My bf% has been worked out at 18 and I would post a picture but I'm on my iPod.
    Why do you think I would want to lose muscle if it wasn't visible? If I didn't have have VISIBLE muscle then I would want to get rid of fat, not muscle. Becoming catablic is what I want. I want to look slim and feminine, not muscular.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Everything you are saying raises red flags. With that being said, I'm not a Dr. All i can say is good luck and I hope you speak with a Dr. about your relationship with food and your body image..
  • stacybrs
    Options
    Wendy's - Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger , 1 burger (142 g) 400 25 24 21 5 930
    Wendy's - Small French Fries - Nz, 113 g 276 39 11 4 1 159
    Diet Dr. Pepper - 32 oz., 32 oz 0 0 0 0 0 160
    Wendy's - Medium Vanilla Frosty, 285 g 400 65 10 10 56 190
    Add Food Quick Tools 1,076 129 45 35 62 1,439

^^^^^
    That's what I ate every day. It turns out the fries weren't large, but that's what I ate. It comes up to 1,076 calories. I tracked it myself. That's under 1200. My sugar and fat were not so great, though. I ate a bunch of crap food. I gained 30 pounds eating this way. I GAINED weight. Now, I'm trying to eat more healthy foods as well as more calories. You don't have to believe me, but it's the truth. It's so redic that people think that if you're eating less than 1200 calories you're going to be stick thin. The exact opposite happened to me, I put on weight. It's hard for me to break out of that pattern, because it was so convenient, but once I tracked and opened my eyes to it, I've been improving my diet and doing better. Now I'm eating three meals and am over 1200. My goal is to eat 5 meals and eat 1400-1500 cals a day, but healthy foods that won't overload my body on sugar and fats and hardly and nutrients.
  • justarandomperson
    Options
    Seriously what kind of food are people eating that they can't get to 1200 calories? Are you like, eating a tomato and calling it a day? An apple alone has about 130, put some food in your mouth! Peanut Butter, nuts, meat, they're all calorific.

I agree too. If you're only getting 700-800 calories a day (and most of those calories are from sugary tea), chances are you're not getting the protein, energy, vitamins and minerals your body needs. When you become deficient in something like that, you get a range of symptoms and could harm the way your body metabolizes food. Do you follow a "food puramid" or a recommended amount of food groups by your country?
    No, I don't add the tea, I just know it means my sugar allowance is always exceeded.
    I do follow a food pyramid and on the app for MFP it actually provides a pie chart so you can see what kind of nutrients you are meeting and often mine is a little over on fat, a little under on carbs but I always eat the right amount of protein and I also don't suffer from any symptoms of mal-nutrition, apart from feeling cold but it's England and it's winter so thats probably not all due to lack of food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    That's what I ate every day. It turns out the fries weren't large, but that's what I ate. It comes up to 1,076 calories. I tracked it myself. That's under 1200. My sugar and fat were not so great, though.

If a junior burger, small fries and a medium frosty fill you up for the whole day, then your hormones are totally out of whack.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Presumably you are here to lose weight. So help me understand how you came to be overweight if you cannot possibly get to 1200 calories without trying *very*hard now?

If you are not overweight, what is your goal that has you eating only a goal of 1200 calories?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You say you have not been diagnosed with an eating disorder - have you even gone anywhere to be diagnosed?

You do not restrict because you are not hungry. You are not hungry because your hormones are effed up. Your hormones are effed up because you have been under-eating.

ETA: your avi alone raises red flags.
  • stacybrs
    Options
    QUOTE:

^^^^^
    That's what I ate every day. It turns out the fries weren't large, but that's what I ate. It comes up to 1,076 calories. I tracked it myself. That's under 1200. My sugar and fat were not so great, though.

If a junior burger, small fries and a medium frosty fill you up for the whole day, then your hormones are totally out of whack.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out the reply thing this time. And I know, they really were. I even talked to my doctor about it, because I was really concerned when I saw that I wasn't eating enough. I seriously thought that I was eating enough. And the jr.baconator isn't too tiny or anything, either. But yeah, I gained a lot of weight from eating that way, and I'm trying to change that. It's super possible to not be a twig when you don't eat enough. That's my whole point. I didn't eat enough and I mean, I knew I wasn't eating healthy foods, but I didn't think that it was too little or anything. I was just really busy all of the time that I wasn't eating enough. Now, I'm really trying to eat more and be healthier. I'm just trying to say, a lot of people have a perception that if you don't eat enough, you'll lose a lot of weight and be skinny. The fact that everyone seems to think that doesn't help people who are seriously disordered. People need to be aware of the effects of the way that they are eating.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i love how honest you are!!! can i plz add you?

Eating 700 calories a day is a eating disorder. I would bet my life that there is no visible muscle on your body at all. The comment of you having muscular thighs is comical. At your level of calorie consumption it's impossible.

I suggest you go seek help regarding your body image and not here asking questions.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    She says she hasn't been diagnosed with an eating disorder. However she also says she has been diagnosed with BDD--body dysmorphic disorder. She mentions the BDD at the same time she is saying she is certain that she has a bunch of not-girly-muscle.

Here's the deal: BDD means that you cannot trust the messages your brain gives you about your body--whether it is hungry, whether it is fat, whether it is muscular, whether is manly, whether it is slim. You just can't trust it.

This thread and your answers make it clear that you are deep in your disorder and NEED professional help. I get that you don't want to accept your body. Tough. The answer here is to get the therapy and possibly meds you need to get your head right about your body. And you're probably best off leaving MFP and sites like it.
  • stacybrs
    Options
    Presumably you are here to lose weight. So help me understand how you came to be overweight if you cannot possibly get to 1200 calories without trying *very*hard now?

If you are not overweight, what is your goal that has you eating only a goal of 1200 calories?

In reply to this, I am here to lose weight, but I do have to try to eat healthy. It's hard for me to do that because if I eat the same meal I usually eat, I'd be at 3000 calories. I'm not trying to do that. I never cook or anything, so it's a learning process for me. I'm trying to eat healthier, but also gain more calories. I don't know how it works, but I could post pictures of myself on here for you if you want, I really am 175 pounds, which is technically overweight for me. I don't know the science of it or whatever, but I never worked out before and I ate fatty, sugary foods. I think that has something to do with it. Maybe if I was under 1200 and eating all healthy, it would have been different. And I have a goal of 1200 cals because I want the fat and sugar to adjust to what I eat, so I don't eat more fats and sugars than I should for what I eat. But, eventually I want to get to 1400-1500 calories.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    She says she hasn't been diagnosed with an eating disorder. However she also says she has been diagnosed with BDD--body dysmorphic disorder. She mentions the BDD at the same time she is saying she is certain that she has a bunch of not-girly-muscle.

Here's the deal: BDD means that you cannot trust the messages your brain gives you about your body--whether it is hungry, whether it is fat, whether it is muscular, whether is manly, whether it is slim. You just can't trust it.

This thread and your answers make it clear that you are deep in your disorder and NEED professional help. I get that you don't want to accept your body. Tough. The answer here is to get the therapy and possibly meds you need to get your head right about your body. And you're probably best off leaving MFP and sites like it.

Agreed on all counts. A good start, OP, might be with the medical professional that diagnosed you with BDD in the first place.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options

In reply to this, I am here to lose weight, but I do have to try to eat healthy. It's hard for me to do that because if I eat the same meal I usually eat, I'd be at 3000 calories. I'm not trying to do that. I never cook or anything, so it's a learning process for me. I'm trying to eat healthier, but also gain more calories. I don't know how it works, but I could post pictures of myself on here for you if you want, I really am 175 pounds, which is technically overweight for me. I don't know the science of it or whatever, but I never worked out before and I ate fatty, sugary foods. I think that has something to do with it. Maybe if I was under 1200 and eating all healthy, it would have been different. And I have a goal of 1200 cals because I want the fat and sugar to adjust to what I eat, so I don't eat more fats and sugars than I should for what I eat. But, eventually I want to get to 1400-1500 calories.

Ummm.... I was directing that at the OP, not at you. And I don't think anyone needs to be surprised that someone who eats fast food every day gained weight. Almost no one logs 100% accurately. If all your food is from fast food or a box or a vending machine, then your regular error is gonna get huge. But for real, you should probably start your very own thread if you want people to have a thread about you. Otherwise this is very confusing to most people. Well, me.
  • stacybrs
    Options
    The truth is, I did talk to my doctor about it and worked things out with him as soon as I noticed that I wasn't eating enough and the op needs to do the same. My doctor made some really helpful suggestions. I don't want to be necessarily skinny, but I do want to be healthy. My energy levels are down the drain, I feel exhausted all of the time, I weigh 175, I get tired walking up the three flights of stairs it takes to get to my apartment...it's just pathetic. I want to be able to live life in a healthy way. I want to get down to 130, because that's where I was before I started to gain weight when I started this job, and I'm tired of it. Oh, and I hate feeling like I can't stand up for very long amounts of time because even that wears me out.
    But, I am 5'7 and 175, so I do need to lose weight. I at least want to get under 150, but 130 would be perfect, haha.
    The point is, everyone is different, but you should talk to your doctor about your own situations. And, seriously, you can eat under 1200 cals and still gain weight, you can. I'm not saying that's what's going on with the OP, but it's definitely possible.
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    BUMP
  • stacybrs
    Options
    sorry! I was really confused! A lot of people were talking about the post I made and you said something that made me think that you were talking about me! I can't get the replies figured out for some reason right now, but I thought that was what was happening to you, too. So sorry!
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    sorry! I was really confused! A lot of people were talking about the post I made and you said something that made me think that you were talking about me! I can't get the replies figured out for some reason right now, but I thought that was what was happening to you, too. So sorry!

Case in point on my previously mentioned inaccuracy with logging. You said you ate a baconator. You log a junior bacon cheeseburger. Those are two ENTIRELY different sandwiches. One would gain weight on the surplus caused by a daily baconator.
  • justarandomperson
    Options
    Okay guys thanks so basically before everyone told me I needed help and that I'm effed up and there's no way I can look how I do eating what I do, my question has been answered :)

I would just like to say that the reason my calorie intake is low is BECAUSE I eat healthy. For breakfast I have 100kcal toast and a 10kcal spread, then have a 50kcal smoothie for lunch then for dinner I'll have a chicken breast 200-ish kcal, something starchy such as three Maoris piper potatoes mashed or boiled or whatever that's 100kcal and some veggies that are around 50kcal again then that rough daily template comes out at 510kcal.

No, I'm not having 6 small meals a day consisting of every nutrient I need and yes, I probably do need to go back to getting help about my body but it's only because I'm not eating much that everyone freaks out.

I'm a UK size 10 and I'm at a normal BMI so it's not like I'm a twig imagining things, I also realise that I am not fat. I know that muscle is the problem and I know that by eating less than my BMR my body will eat muscle and preserve fat. Unlike most, this doesn't bother me. I regularly have to have my BF and BMI tested so when I get above a 25% bf% I can then tone up without the fear that my muscles will make my legs become even bigger.

ANYWAY, if you all recall, the question was how can I get to 1200 calories, not me asking to be told by some beefcakes that being muscular and not eating much can't happen because I'm the living proof, not something you read online or were told by your gym buddy.

Thank you very much to the helpful people that have answered my question. I now know that I should eat more healthy fats and invest in some nutty/avocado-ey snacks to eat throughout the day and get my metabolism back up to speed. Now if everyone could please stop telling me I have issues and need help, that'd be great :)
This discussion has been closed.