Paleo Diet

Options
Looking into changing up my diet does anyone know about this paleo diet? I am concerned about not getting the proper nutrition and need some advise.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's a diet where you don't eat foods from the naughty list.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    plaeo is a joke.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    placebo is the joke \m/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    placebo is the joke \m/

ha, I get it
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    What........no donuts or ding dongs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's based on non-science and demonizes perfectly healthy foods, but you can get proper nutrition on the diet if you choose,

If you think a restrictive diet such a this will help you stick to your calorie goals and you can be satisfied not eating grains and legumes (beans, peas, some nuts) then give it a shot.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    What........no donuts or ding dongs.

If I enjoy donuts, excluding them absolutely without providing any context is silly.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    your not gonna get help here, all the paleo bashers will be out in full force , I suggest joining the paleo group . made that mistake before :ohwell:
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, here's my experience with the paleo diet:

1) I lost 3-stone of weight over 6-months.
    2) I have stuck to it for 3 years without problem.
    3) All my nasty digestive problems went away
    4) I feel for once in my life like I'm "well" and that I have energy
    5) Food cravings and hunger disappeared (a 24-36-hour fast now, which I do regularly, doesn't even register as a negative experience)
    6) I feel like I appreciate food more. I spend a lot more time considering food's place in my diet.

It is based on good science - Especially the science behind the role of insulin in the human body (in both the storage of food and, by abuse, the development of inflammatory diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, Alzeimers, etc), the role played by fat and cholesterol in the human body (Ancel Keys was wrong; These nutrients are *essential* for a whole manner of body functions, including sex hormones), and what role carbohydrates should play in the lives of humans (The essential requirement for carbohydrates is 0g per day - And excepting manual laborers, athletes, and other very physical workers they should not be very prevalent in the every day diet, especially if the focus is fat loss).

There's also a lot of good science behind ketosis as the ideal metabolic state (not to be confused with ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition which comes about from uncontrolled type-1 diabetes. Ketosis is the state where the body uses fat-stores to produce energy in the form of ketones; It mobilizes body fat, but spares body muscle).

If anyone wants more information, add me as a friend on here and send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to answer every and any question I can.

I've read more about this than I did for my masters degree, so I can always recommend reading for anyone who's *really* interested too :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, here's my experience with the paleo diet:

1) I lost 3-stone of weight over 6-months.
    2) I have stuck to it for 3 years without problem.
    3) All my nasty digestive problems went away
    4) I feel for once in my life like I'm "well" and that I have energy
    5) Food cravings and hunger disappeared (a 24-36-hour fast now, which I do regularly, doesn't even register as a negative experience)
    6) I feel like I appreciate food more. I spend a lot more time considering food's place in my diet.

OP, I think this is a key thing to think about. If you have digestive problems you may need to cut something from your diet to solve them. Paleo restricts a lot of food, so it's possible one of those foods would be the cause of digestive problems, but you could likely get the same results by working with a dietician to determine the exact food(s) to restrict.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    It is based on good science - Especially the science behind the role of insulin in the human body (in both the storage of food and, by abuse, the development of inflammatory diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, Alzeimers, etc), the role played by fat and cholesterol in the human body (Ancel Keys was wrong; These nutrients are *essential* for a whole manner of body functions, including sex hormones), and what role carbohydrates should play in the lives of humans (The essential requirement for carbohydrates is 0g per day - And excepting manual laborers, athletes, and other very physical workers they should not be very prevalent in the every day diet, especially if the focus is fat loss).

LOL
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Physiologically we are supposed to eat everything of anything we can find...period, end of story. We just aren't supposed to have 50,000 calories available at our disposal in an unspoiled state ready to eat at all times...
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the Paleo diet itself. Its very healthy. Its also very extreme. All of the health and wellness benefits claimed by Paleo, I achieved long before hearing about Paleo. My personal problem with Paleo is those who follow it who claim its the "One True Way" to eat. I've cut a lot of processed foods out of my diet. But I have never stopped eating bread. Or consuming sugar. My brother claimed (after years of him not believing me that the most important factor of weight loss was diet) that because he's on Paleo he dropped a bunch of weight. Well, in the past 3 weeks of me watching what I eat and tracking it, I lost about 10lbs already.

Its a simple formula. Eat less. Exercise more. If Paleo does it for you, great. But be prepared to embrace it for the rest of your life because losing weight isn't about a quick fix. Its a lifestyle change to be healthier and if you start Paleo it better become your lifestyle. If you can commit to that then go for it.

Personally, I'd rather just eat healthy foods. I stay mostly organic, lowered my meat consumption a bit and avoid the processed crap at the supermarket and restaurants. And I have that same 'clean' feeling that Paleo claims is exclusive to them. But you know what they don't get that I do? When I did my 11 mile long run on Sunday, I get a donut. 8)
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Physiologically we are supposed to eat everything of anything we can find...period, end of story.

Its the Omnivore's Dilemma (tm) 8D
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the Paleo diet itself. Its very healthy. Its also very extreme. All of the health and wellness benefits claimed by Paleo, I achieved long before hearing about Paleo. My personal problem with Paleo is those who follow it who claim its the "One True Way" to eat.

I would agree with you that there are a lot of Paleo enthusiasts out there who claim it is the "One True Way". It's not, it's an option and may or may not work with a person's lifestyle or preferences.

But I wouldn't say it's extreme... Sacrificing refined products, grains, and dairy just seemed like a no-brainer. Phytic acid in grains, for example, is just NASTY preventing the absorption of many essentially vitamins and nutrients in the gut.
    OP, I think this is a key thing to think about. If you have digestive problems you may need to cut something from your diet to solve them. Paleo restricts a lot of food, so it's possible one of those foods would be the cause of digestive problems, but you could likely get the same results by working with a dietician to determine the exact food(s) to restrict.

You're right - I did need to cut something from my diet. Through a lot of trial and error I realised that the spectrum of grains were causing my stomach problems - Years of terrible debilitating cramps and pain - and dairy was causing my skin problems.

But yet again, I don't feel restricted at all. Fact is, if I want a piece of cake, I'll have one (though I know I'll pay for it later). If I want red wine (our ancestors didn't drink red wine), I'll have some red wine. If I want a chocolate bar, I'll have one.

In the grand scheme of things, you have to make some concessions. There are intermittent fasters (as an example) I know who are so stuck in their ways, that they would rather avoid social interaction altogether than, say, break their fast early to go for an early lunch or whatever... Similarly, there are paleo eaters who'll point their finger at anyone who would praise dairy (it has its uses) or enjoy a slice of cake... Extremes are unsustainable.

The way that I see it, you take the principles and the science behind it and you work out how it's going to work for you, for your benefit, and you tweak and experiment along the way.

Humans aren't one-size fits all, and that is why paleo provided me with a greater awareness and a greater appreciation of food and its particular place in my diet.
    LOL

Great contribution. Did you think that witty retort up yourself, or did you have a crack-team of writers on stand-by?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Looking into changing up my diet does anyone know about this paleo diet? I am concerned about not getting the proper nutrition and need some advise.

You can get nutrition by eating a paleo diet. The downside of paleo is that it cuts out way too many yummy, nutritious foods. You can get your nutrition from pretty much whatever foods you want. I find it best to eat things you enjoy. It helps with sanity/happiness.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

LOL

:laugh:

Zero carb diet. OMG! My question is how much are people paying for these book that make such wild claims?!?
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    our ancestors didnt eat any of the food we eat today, regardless if you are paleo or not. Everything has been selectivly bred over the last thousands of years to be bigger, taste better and last longer in storage.

That is a terrible argument for a diet if you ask me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the Paleo diet itself. Its very healthy. Its also very extreme. All of the health and wellness benefits claimed by Paleo, I achieved long before hearing about Paleo. My personal problem with Paleo is those who follow it who claim its the "One True Way" to eat.

I would agree with you that there are a lot of Paleo enthusiasts out there who claim it is the "One True Way". It's not, it's an option and may or may not work with a person's lifestyle or preferences.

But I wouldn't say it's extreme... Sacrificing refined products, grains, and dairy just seemed like a no-brainer. Phytic acid in grains, for example, is just NASTY preventing the absorption of many essentially vitamins and nutrients in the gut.

You're right - I did need to cut something from my diet. Through a lot of trial and error I realised that the spectrum of grains were causing my stomach problems - Years of terrible debilitating cramps and pain - and dairy was causing my skin problems.

But yet again, I don't feel restricted at all. Fact is, if I want a piece of cake, I'll have one (though I know I'll pay for it later). If I want red wine (our ancestors didn't drink red wine), I'll have some red wine. If I want a chocolate bar, I'll have one.

In the grand scheme of things, you have to make some concessions. There are intermittent fasters (as an example) I know who are so stuck in their ways, that they would rather avoid social interaction altogether than, say, break their fast early to go for an early lunch or whatever... Similarly, there are paleo eaters who'll point their finger at anyone who would praise dairy (it has its uses) or enjoy a slice of cake... Extremes are unsustainable.

The way that I see it, you take the principles and the science behind it and you work out how it's going to work for you, for your benefit, and you tweak and experiment along the way.

Humans aren't one-size fits all, and that is why paleo provided me with a greater awareness and a greater appreciation of food and its particular place in my diet.
    LOL

Great contribution. Did you think that witty retort up yourself, or did you have a crack-team of writers on stand-by?

Actually, eating grains as part of an balanced, healthy diet is a no-brainer, unless you have some sort of medical condition. And dairy is awesome and healthy. This is what people mean when they say paleo folks claim it's the "one true way." To claim that *humans in general* should not eat grains or dairy or legumes is just silly. So silly, in fact, that it makes people laugh out loud when they hear it. *SOME* humans have intolerances/allergies to certain foods. But let's not make wild claims like, "Sacrificing refined products, grains, and dairy just seemed like a no-brainer."

This is why you find people who aren't on paleo making comments in these types of threads. Too many people tell too many lies. So don't eat bread or cheese of peanuts if you don't want to, or if a medical condition prevents it. But don't make false claims that are nothing but scare tactics to get people to buy books.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ...(our ancestors didn't drink red wine), ...

Mine did. And they drank whiskey too. I try to follow the same practices .... to keep the tradition alive.