Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• Drewillbeback111
    Options
    My brother in law is an MD, and he and his wife are doing the paleo and are looking good
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    And we don't even really need protein.

Flat out wrong bud. You need fat and protein. You need a minimal amount of carbohydrate.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am still in the process of evaluating Paleo. Here's what I feel so far:
    1) This golden rule still holds true -"Calorie surplus = weight gain (fat and/or muscle)" "Calorie deficit = weight loss". If a Paleo diet causes you to eat less calories than you burn, then of course you're going to lose weight!

I totally agree. The nice thing I've found with Paleo is that since I'm eating mostly protein and veggies, I can eat a lot of food for my calorie goal. On a low fat/high carb diet, the cals add up pretty quickly and I found that I was always hungry, and therefore it was harder to sustain eating that way.

2) It seems much more difficult to eat an appropriate amount of carbs on a Paleo diet. Fact is, carbs give you energy! If your goal is sports performance, a low carb diet will not allow you to perform your best.

I get a pretty decent amount of carbs from veg and fruit. It generally works out to be around 50-100 g/day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Some people do eat a Ketogenic version of Paleo, but most don't. The general rule of thumb is 50-100g/day for weight loss, 100-150g/day for maintenance. Of course that varies due to activity level, age, etc.

3) Yes, there is scientific evidence backing Paleo! However, there is also scientific evidence to discredit it....A LOT MORE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE!

Well, I'm not sure about lots more studies that discredit it. But I'm not about to get into a study-posting battle. Feel free to post a few of the scientific evidence that discredits it. But PLEASE don't post the China Study... been there, discredited that.

4) When sports performance is not your goal, Paleo may be good to try once in a while.

Well, there are a lot of athletes who eat Paleo... but I agree...try it... if "once in a while" means 30 days at the minimum.

5) The Paleo Diet doesn't seem to contribute to one's overall longterm health. There are way too many terrific foods containing valuable nutrients one would be missing out on.

What nutrients would I be missing out on?

6) I feel that there is plenty of evidence that says we should choose whole grains and whole foods over refined sugars and refined grains as this will control insulin levels. Keeping stable levels of insulin in the bloodstream reduces sugar crashing, helps control hunger, and limits storage of unused nutrients into fat cells. This means no white flour, no white rice, no sugary foods. (Although I've learned if there is ever a time that insulin spikes don't make you fat it is directly after a workout when insulin shuttles nutrients into depleted muscles rather than fat storage.)

I'm not sure how grains (aka carbs), whether whole or refined, white or brown, won't have an effect on your insulin level. When I was diabetic, that whole grain bagel spiked my blood sugar as much as that white one. I'm no longer diabetic (but still at high risk) so I'm not checking my blood sugar anymore, but I definitely notice a difference in my blood sugar swings. Before Paleo, I felt blood sugar swings if I went more than a few hours between meals, and I would get seriously shaky. Now that I eat lower carbs and have eliminated most added sugars, I find I'm never shaky, even when I miss a meal. I believe this is related to lower carb, not specifically Paleo, though.

The Paleo goes to an extreme and says no grains at all.

Yup, that's true, because there's nothing grains do for me that adds to my health... there's no nutritional value in grains that I can't get elsewhere from a more nutritious source. For me, grains add to my carb load... and when I have them, it's very easy to overeat them... and gain weight, and f*** up my blood sugar.

7) Paleo is a fad that will come and go.

sigh. head bang.

On a positive note, authors about Paleo bring about an awareness to readers on how carbs affect the body. There is probably something for everyone when it comes to incorporating certain eating habits learned from Paleo authors. Use what works for you! Try it. If your body doesn't respond well, ditch it.

Well said, sir.

The bottom line is: The benefits reaped from Paleo are not worth the costs. Similar benefits can be had through more traditional methods (without eliminating nutritious foods). While a full-fledge Paleo diet is not for me, a patial one might be. I'll take what works for me! ...you should too.

You mean, the bottom line for you. For me, I'm reaping the benefits. I haven't eliminated a single nutritious food from my diet. In fact, I've doubled my fresh veg consumption... works for me.

Evening, folks.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Should cattle eat corn and wheat?

No. Cattle should eat grass...their entire lives. (That's what the cattle my family raises do...does...whatever.)

True story... Not to mention grass fed cattle taste 1000% better than corn fed...

Only if you don't care for a well marbled steak

This actually speaks partially to the argument going on here. Grains add more fat to the cattle. There's a good chance they do the same to us. ;)

I don't understand why everyone doesn't get the fact that there are multiple factors in play. Net calories are important, insulin (and other hormone) levels are important, the amount of sleep you get is important, stress levels are important, exercise is important, goals are important, your overall mental state is important, the people around you are important. Some of these factors may only act to influence other more "major" factors, but I argue that they all come into play, and are thus "important" .

And as for the guy who said you do not need protein to live, you are completely wrong. Just missing any one of the essential amino acids for an extended period of time will eventually lead to death, though it may take a while for your body to catabolize your current stores.

http://www.answers.com/topic/essential-amino-acid Please read the section under "Use of essential amino acids"

Also: http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/abstract/S1097-2765(12)00689-2 - Just messing with amino acid synthesis can lead to cellular death.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This actually speaks partially to the argument going on here. Grains add more fat to the cattle. There's a good chance they do the same to us. :)

Crazy talk. With that logic, next you'll say people shouldn't drink cow milk because it's purpose is to grow calves into cows. Pshaw.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This actually speaks partially to the argument going on here. Grains add more fat to the cattle. There's a good chance they do the same to us. :)

Crazy talk. With that logic, next you'll say people shouldn't drink cow milk because it's purpose is to grow calves into cows. Pshaw.

Butter is made from dairy and butter gave Paula Deen health problems, hence dairy causes health problems
    tumblr_lgkco7X8ej1qdtc2ko1_400.jpg
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am not on Paleo diet but I have read about it and i think it's not that bad of a lifestyle. From my understanding, it is a diet that imitates that of a hunter. So, technically fresh meat, vegetables. no processed food - even grains too since you don't really eat wheat as is, I don't know about cow milk, since it is usually pasteurized (don't quote me on this)

Although it is not a diet I think I can adapt to, it does has its benefits, you just have to make sure like any other diet that you get your essential nutrients from it and most importantly, a diet that you know you can stick to for a long time without feeling like you have sacrificed a lot.

Like vegetarianism, veganism, and omnivore-ism (haha) or even meat-tarianism, Paleo is a lifestyle and shouldn't be bashed. If you are only jumping into any of these lifestyle just to lose weight (without realising that a calorie deficit causes weight loss regardless), then I am sorry, trying a new lifestyle from your current one is not going to be successful. But if you are jumping into a new lifestyle because of the benefits you see in it with regards to your health , etc (I heard a lot of benefits about Paleo from friends who do try it, and benefits from being Vegan and so on), then you are on the right track.

Feel free to try it though and see if it works for you, you wouldn't know if you don't try

Good luck OP!
  • ElloSweetie
    ElloSweetie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    <--- Paleo. Not angry. Actually decreased depression and anxiety disorder since changing my lifestyle to Paleo. I feel fantastic. It's working for me. What works for others- I have no idea but I'm doing well. It's easy for me to maintain because I love veggies and fruits and was already gluten free.
    I'd love some Paleo friends :P
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the process of moving to a paleo diet.

I was actually a vegetarian for aobut 2 year. I felt awful. I gained weight and my stomach issues got worse
    I recently got some autoimmune allergy testing done and found that I am allergic to eggs, wheat, soy and dairy. So I have removed these items (except I have not fully removed soy yet) from my diet for over 2 months now and have lost about 20lbs! I feel great and my stoamch issues are slowly going away. I am stll not fully paleo but working toward it. but not eating eggs, wheat, soy and dairy is pretty close. I still have a long way to go though. My Dr is supervising (specialty in holistic medicine and paleo nutrition) with supplements and my diet.
    I HIGHLY recommend it
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone for the ton of advise. I am doign research and am looking for a healthy lifstyle change that will effect my health and weight. I am not sure if I can live without grains or dairy but I am still researching and appreciate all the input from everyone.

I was not expecting such a reaction or response but the information given was well received. Thank you again to all of you and good luck on your weight loss journeys also. =)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    There is no strict physiological need for dietary carbohydrates in terms of survival. The same is mostly true of fats except for a small number of EFAs. The only thing your body absolutely needs through dietary intake is protein.

That is absurd. There are a number of micronutrients our bodies needs to survive. And we don't even really need protein.

But what is needed for survival, and what is needed for optimal performance are very different things.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I was speaking about macro nutrients. Obviously we need certain stuff like air, water and micronutrients. However, it is not absurd that in terms of survival the lowest level of carbohydrate intake necessary is zero. Even the clever folks who come up with the RDA handbook confirm this is the case. Please see the heading entitled "Clinical Effects of Inadequate Intake"

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=275

Whether it is an optimal or recommended position to consume no dietary carbohydrate is another matter altogether.

Yes, we do in fact need protein. It is an absolute requirement although the actual level is debatable. If you consume no protein whatsoever your body will harvest what it requires from muscle tissue to create the amino acids necessary for life. Once you exhaust that tissue if there is no protein supplied through dietary intake (as well as certain EFAs from fats) then it will lead to death. The same is not true of carbohydrates.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And as for the guy who said you do not need protein to live, you are completely wrong. Just missing any one of the essential amino acids for an extended period of time will eventually lead to death, though it may take a while for your body to catabolize your current stores.

That "guy" would be me, though I am a gal. And you are correct, we need the amino acids, but we don't need dietary protein. The fact is there are a lot of people living without ever eating anything, so all thse nonsensical arguments about dietary needs are useless. The fact that the human body won't die without dietary carbohydrates does not prove a diet without carbohydrates is healthy or ideal. Outside medical need, a smart and balanced diet including all the macronutrients is the most likely path to good health.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    FWIW, I did the paleo diet for a little over two months a couple years ago. Ate lots of meat (especially bacon - went through 4 pkgs a week) and eggs, moderate amounts of coconut oil and vegetables (mostly sweet potatoes), and occasionally nuts. I was surprised by my blood tests afterward. Everything was in the normal range to begin with, but the paleo diet further improved my trigs, HDL, total cholesterol, and blood glucose. LDL went up (still in the normal range, though), but I read that there are 2 types of LDL particles and one of them is actually useful so I don't know what to make of that.

The holidays came and I ended up going off paleo. Too hard to stick with when everyone else was eating all my old favorite junk foods. :tongue: I don't regret trying paleo. It gave me an awareness of how to eat for health, not just weight loss. And it got me to lose my desire for bread and pasta, which left more room calorie-wise for chocolate. :love:
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Please stop calling this diet paleo, you cannot eat paleo in modern society. It is impossible.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

That "guy" would be me, though I am a gal. And you are correct, we need the amino acids, but we don't need dietary protein. The fact is there are a lot of people living without ever eating anything, so all thse nonsensical arguments about dietary needs are useless. The fact that the human body won't die without dietary carbohydrates does not prove a diet without carbohydrates is healthy or ideal. Outside medical need, a smart and balanced diet including all the macronutrients is the most likely path to good health.
    He didn't say people should omit carbs, just that they can, just like your saying people don't need to eat anything to survive.....wait, that's not the same thing, mind you, I haven't had anything to eat yet this morning, so you might be on to something.
  • bcattoes
    Options

He didn't say people should omit carbs, just that they can, just like your saying people don't need to eat anything to survive.....wait, that's not the same thing, mind you, I haven't had anything to eat yet this morning, so you might be on to something.

I understood what he was saying. I was simply pointing out that what is needed to sustain life is a totally different subject that what constitutes a healthy diet.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is if it works for you, use it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I understood what he was saying. I was simply pointing out that what is needed to sustain life is a totally different subject that what constitutes a healthy diet.

Also what is required to lose weight is not always the same as a healthy diet. From a health point of view, excluding my being morbidly obese, I have for many years eaten more healthily than most people I know except for eating too much cheese. My blood levels are just fine, I am on no medications, but I'm sure I have been at risk for getting badly sick.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Also what is required to lose weight is not always the same as a healthy diet. From a health point of view, excluding my being morbidly obese, I have for many years eaten more healthily than most people I know except for eating too much cheese. My blood levels are just fine, I am on no medications, but I'm sure I have been at risk for getting badly sick.

I don't know that there is a universal definition of "healthy diet" but I doubt many professionals would consider any diet that leads to morbid obesity as "healthy" no matter if the foods the diet consisted of were normally considered "healthy foods" or not. I certainly wouldn't. Calorie count should figure into a healthy diet IMO.
  • josiahutah
    Options
    I appreciate your feedback. You definately have more experience with Paleo than I do. From what I understand, Paleo dieters do not eat starchy vegetables. Is that correct? Does this mean no yams or potatos? What else do you exclude? Dairy? Baked yams are one of my favorites when a high calorie, high nutrient, slow digesting carb is needed. As for dairy, I can't imagine why you'd cut out such a good protein source as non-fat milk or non-fat cottage cheese. They are so good for you!

You said, "I'm not sure how grains (aka carbs), whether whole or refined, white or brown, won't have an effect on your insulin level. When I was diabetic, that whole grain bagel spiked my blood sugar as much as that white one. I'm no longer diabetic (but still at high risk) so I'm not checking my blood sugar anymore, but I definitely notice a difference in my blood sugar swings. Before Paleo, I felt blood sugar swings if I went more than a few hours between meals, and I would get seriously shaky. Now that I eat lower carbs and have eliminated most added sugars, I find I'm never shaky, even when I miss a meal. I believe this is related to lower carb, not specifically Paleo, though. "

All I am saying with refined vs unrefined carbs is that we should choose unrefined because all of the extra fiber that slows digestion. This causes our blood sugar to be more stable because it rises more slowly and falls more slowly. This reduces hunger (since the body doesn't sense a sharp drop in blood sugar), reduces fat storage (as the elimination of sugar spikes result in the elimination of insulin spikes which results in the reduction of insulin storing unused nutrients into fat storage) aids in healty intestines, and controls insulin levels (as insulin relase into the blood stream is triggered by sugar in the blood stream). That is how carbs have an effect on your insulin level. Processed carb digest more quickly causing you to lose out on all of the benefits mentioned about unrefined carbs. With that said, there is plenty of fiber to be had in all of those fibrous fruits and veggies you are eating. (You are eating fruit aren't you?)

You said, "Yup, that's true, because there's nothing grains do for me that adds to my health... there's no nutritional value in grains that I can't get elsewhere from a more nutritious source. For me, grains add to my carb load... and when I have them, it's very easy to overeat them... and gain weight, and f*** up my blood sugar."

Do a search for positive effects of whole grains and you will find plenty of benefits. Here is an example from: http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=Whole_Grains_Fact_Sheet
    "Health Effects of Whole Grains
    Heart disease
    Research demonstrates an association between consuming whole grains as part of a low-fat diet and a reduced risk of heart disease. Studies have consistently found that individuals with three or more servings of whole grain foods per day have a 20 to 30 percent lower risk for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease compared to individuals with lower intakes of whole grains.7,8,21-24 Researchers have also observed that diets rich in whole grain foods tend to decrease LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol), triglycerides, and blood pressure, and increase HDL cholesterol (the “good” cholesterol)."

I am acutally genuinely interested in what types of foods you can get the same types of nutirients that are more nutritious.

You being prone to diabetes throws a wrench into things. I am happy for you to have found something that has improved your health and helped with diabetes. Obviously, your body responds very well to Paleo.

Out of curiosity, what is a typical meal for you? What are a couple of your favorite meals?