Trying to figure out why carbohydrates are the "bad guys"

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it is because they turn to sugar and are stored as fat

this is unlikely

It IS likely. You are thinking of food when it goes into your mouth....and NOT the biological process it goes through when digested. All carbs are turned to glucose in the body for digestion

It's more likely that, when in a caloric surplus, excess carb consumption blunts fat oxidation and increases fat storage rather than DNL occuring.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I think it is because they turn to sugar and are stored as fat

this is unlikely

It IS likely. You are thinking of food when it goes into your mouth....and NOT the biological process it goes through when digested. All carbs are turned to glucose in the body for digestion

It's more likely that, when in a caloric surplus, excess carb consumption blunts fat oxidation and increases fat storage rather than DNL occuring.

True.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lean protein/veggies and fruit keep you fuller longer, are healthier for you and are not processed like most "WHITE" carbs. You get carbs from fruits and veggies too. I do occasionally eat "carbs" but they will be whole grain. Not white rice, not regular pasta. Everything everyone here said about blood sugar and carbs and fat are correct. Everything here that was said about eating carbs makes you want to eat more carbs is correct. If we all ate carbs like that before we started our lifestyle change that explains why we ended up here to begin with, doesn't it?

Carbs, in moderation, are not bad for you but to have a healthier "lifestyle" eat fruits and veggies and lean proteins. It will keep you full longer and is so much better for you and isn't PROCESSED and full of sodium.

It's just plain and simple logic.

Even more logical is to base decisions on content rather than colors.

I get that you're specifically making a counterargument against white v. brown carbs, but there is a lot of merit to eating a colorful variety of foods- different colors indicate different vitamin profiles, and you can go a long way towards a nutritionally balanced diet by choosing to include a variety of naturally colorful food.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If I had cut down on carbs 2 years ago, I probably wouldn't have diabetes. Now I have no choice.

carbs don't cause diabetes

over consumption of food can cause type 2 diabetes though

It was overconsumption of carbs that did it to me...it was almost all I ate. Believe me...I know.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about any macro nutrients except protein. As far as carbs, I just try to avoid the "white" ones (bread, rice, pasta, etc) as much as possible, but I don't obsess over it.

This. Beautiful answer.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Lean protein/veggies and fruit keep you fuller longer, are healthier for you and are not processed like most "WHITE" carbs. You get carbs from fruits and veggies too. I do occasionally eat "carbs" but they will be whole grain. Not white rice, not regular pasta. Everything everyone here said about blood sugar and carbs and fat are correct. Everything here that was said about eating carbs makes you want to eat more carbs is correct. If we all ate carbs like that before we started our lifestyle change that explains why we ended up here to begin with, doesn't it?

Carbs, in moderation, are not bad for you but to have a healthier "lifestyle" eat fruits and veggies and lean proteins. It will keep you full longer and is so much better for you and isn't PROCESSED and full of sodium.

It's just plain and simple logic.

Even more logical is to base decisions on content rather than colors.

I get that you're specifically making a counterargument against white v. brown carbs, but there is a lot of merit to eating a colorful variety of foods- different colors indicate different vitamin profiles, and you can go a long way towards a nutritionally balanced diet by choosing to include a variety of naturally colorful food.

Yes, that's true. I'm just the type of person that chooses clothes based on color, but not food. I don't care what color my food is. :laugh:

And I like my white carbs.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If I had cut down on carbs 2 years ago, I probably wouldn't have diabetes. Now I have no choice.

carbs don't cause diabetes

over consumption of food can cause type 2 diabetes though

It was overconsumption of carbs that did it to me...it was almost all I ate. Believe me...I know.

Most doctors will tell diabetics to restrict carb consumption to help control blood sugar.

From personal experience, the less carbs (I'm not talking about fruits/veggies, I'm talking about the others) I eat, the less cravings I have, the better I feel and less migraines. I have to be real careful with grains, whether processed or not, or I end up with severe migraines.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    go to netflix and watch fathead
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For me they are the bad guys because they spike my blood sugars so badly. Your mileage may vary of course. I know some diabetics that don't have that problem as much as I do.
  • MisFitMom219
    MisFitMom219 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am one of those 'carb sensitive' people...& yes it is a REAL thing. The only way I found this out was from consistent food monitoring and playing with my macros.

Carbs are not bad!!!!! Being a vegetarian I consume a large number of complex carbs...like veggies -especially broccoli- & sweet potatoes which I love! <3

Now when I consume simple carbs like bread or anything high carb in mass quantities my body retains water like you wouldn't believe...Also the spikes in my blood sugar are no fun and send my cravings through the roof....

Summary. Not ALL carbs are bad...just avoid simple ones that have no nutritional value & are usually found in processed foods (:
  • scottcr1rider
    Options
    Check out this podcast! Vinnie explains everything you need to know about Carbs and losing weight!

http://www.vinnietortorich.com/
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am one of those 'carb sensitive' people...& yes it is a REAL thing. The only way I found this out was from consistent food monitoring and playing with my macros.

Carbs are not bad!!!!! Being a vegetarian I consume a large number of complex carbs...like veggies -especially broccoli- & sweet potatoes which I love! <3

Now when I consume simple carbs like bread or anything high carb in mass quantities my body retains water like you wouldn't believe...Also the spikes in my blood sugar are no fun and send my cravings through the roof....

Summary. Not ALL carbs are bad...just avoid simple ones that have no nutritional value & are usually found in processed foods (:

Bread, and all starches, are complex carbs. Sugar is a simple carb.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Bread is not considered a simple carb. Just a heads up. Not discounting its effect on you just that for the most part it is a starch and that makes it a complex carb source. Add a lot of sugar like in cake then it would be more in line with a simple carb.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    For me they are the bad guys because they spike my blood sugars so badly. Your mileage may vary of course. I know some diabetics that don't have that problem as much as I do.

Yep I am one of those diabetics that has no problems whatsoever with Carbs. I eat upwards of 300+ carbs a day and that is while in a calorie deficit and my A1c have been holding out at 5.3 average... But more importantly is probably the fact I lost 300+ lbs. I remember a conversation I had the first visit to my Endo Dr. and he said lose the weight, lose the diabetes and no truer words have ever been spoken... I will always have it but as long as I eat right, exercise, and maintain this new lifestyle, it should be enough to keep it at bay for many years to come. I will say my carbs come from grains, multigrains, etc. I tend to avoid anything made with Enriched white flour. I will eat potatoes (but tend to prefer sweet potatoes these days) nothing wrong with a nice big baked potato!! Nom Nom Nom.... Best of Luck...
  • Regaller
    Options
    Carbohydrates eventually break down into sugar once they enter your body. Sugar taken into the body always produces an insulin response from your pancreas in an effort to balance blood sugar. A person’s body uses insulin along with the excess sugar to store fat. The more carbohydrates a person eats or drinks, the more the body has to produce insulin to balance blood sugar, and hence, the opportunity for the body to store additional fat. Any carbohydrates taken into the body that are not used as energy, will likely be stored as fat with the help of insulin. By eating or drinking foods with fewer carbohydrates, one reduces the insulin response from the pancreas and the body simply will not be able to store as much or any fat, depending on how much less carbohydrates are taken in. In short carbohydrates can be the “bad guys” because they probably contribute more to a person’s weight gain than fat actually does.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates eventually break down into sugar once they enter your body. Sugar taken into the body always produces an insulin response from your pancreas in an effort to balance blood sugar. A person’s body uses insulin along with the excess sugar to store fat. The more carbohydrates a person eats or drinks, the more the body has to produce insulin to balance blood sugar, and hence, the opportunity for the body to store additional fat. Any carbohydrates taken into the body that are not used as energy, will likely be stored as fat with the help of insulin. By eating or drinking foods with fewer carbohydrates, one reduces the insulin response from the pancreas and the body simply will not be able to store as much or any fat, depending on how much less carbohydrates are taken in. In short carbohydrates can be the “bad guys” because they probably contribute more to a person’s weight gain than fat actually does.

What about protein?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Hmmm explain why the same thing does not apply to protein even though it produces an insulin response. The key to both causing fat gain would be a caloric surplus not the insulin response.
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wait....I thought Gluten was the bad guy....we're back to carbs again?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Wait....I thought Gluten was the bad guy....we're back to carbs again?

Glute: noun singular
    Glutes: noun plural
    Gluten: verb shaking of glutes
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    They're not the bad guys. Next...