Sexual Orientation Changed Through Reparative Therapy?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Mark is old testament? Weird, my bible must be broken.

Mark 12:18-27

The first part of the scripture they are asking about Moses and Old Testament laws. Read it!

The passage you cited says there's no marriage after death, so...?
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do not believe orientation can be changed. I do believe some folks get confused when they are younger, and/or feel pressured by society to be something they aren't. Both straight and gay.

I should know. Raised Christian, went to a Christian college, lost God along the way because of shame and fear, married for 12 years, to my best friend in order to hide my sexuality from my family, church and society.

I finally came out this year, and surprisingly it was when I found the strength from prayer to God. It was just as bad as I feared all those years, but totally worth it to finally be who I am. I 40 year old gay christian woman.

It is not a choice, but people sometimes make choices about their identity. (That they may or may not regret)

exactly - we all try to "fit" - I am happy for you that you found peace with yours
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    The passage you cited says there's no marriage after death, so...?

... so necrophelia is okay. Just not man-on-male-corpse.

(edited to add) But anyway, I think it's funny that Jesus didn't disabuse them of that rule. He focused on what happens to the seventh marriage after the resurrection. Seemed like a great opportunity for Jesus to say "Moses said WHAT?"(/end)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    is it possible to think it is wrong but also to accept those that are?
    Of course it's possible, as demonstrated by the OP and some of the early posts that followed.

Though being tired of those "flamboyant gays" that "seem to be flaunting for the sole purpose of flaunting" probably doesn't fall into the "acceptance" bucket.
    true...I must admit I do not like seeing a guy who has to make sure everyone knows his orientation. that would also go for flamboyant heterosexuals but I dont see that as often as the flamboyant gay who "over does" it.. I am not talking about the comment above where some guy makes a comment on some other guys *kitten*. I am talking about the guy who is overly feminine. not all gays are like that just like not all straight guys are super macho. I dont care for either. is that bigoted? maybe. sometimes I wonder if I am jaded.

as far as the topic is concerned, I would not advocate any kind of conversion therapy that wasn't self directed and self motivated.
    Other people have already mentioned the heteronormative perspective. I think that idea is valid. It applies to anything "different" (from our perspective). I don't think you are being unreasonable in what you are saying. But in a highly politicized discussion such as this, giving the benefit of the doubt, exercising patience and generosity, etc. all tend to crumble under the weight of righteousness and anger.

If I was leading a business meeting, and two people starting making out, I'd call them on it, regardless of the genders of the participants. I think "flaunting" is pretty subjective, though. And for most scenarios, it doesn't matter. I'd rather not have to deal with people making out in front me while watching a movie. But I don't necessarily have a right to make them stop. I do have a right to change seats. I don't want to live in a world where a government entity will enforce what I like. Let them enforce safety and equality, not morals and taste.

Depending on the definition and context, I don't like "flaunting" either (for anything). But I wonder how I would feel if I was ashamed for years of something fundamental to who I was, and then somehow overcame the shame and secrecy and wanted to "celebrate" the discovery of my truth. Or even just had to deal with bigotry and hatred about who I was, and simply wanted to enjoy expressing authenticity. I might want to flaunt a bit myself.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    "Therapy" suggests a malfunction, something that needs corrected.

Sexual orientation does not need to be corrected. Anything claiming it can do so is just a shaming tactic designed to shove obvious behaviors under the rug.

Funny. This is the same argument used by NAMBLA and other pedophile organizations.
    I doubt very much that the "tolerant" crowd would tolerate a pervert seducing their children in the name of being tolerant of other people's sexual orientation.

What the?!?!

To the person that says Nambla is funny. Please think before you say such thoughtless, hurtful things about actual real traumatic, life altering experiences that actual people have been through. I'm speaking now as a survivor of sex abuse and I speak for myself and no one else (because I do not want to get into arguments about what I went through as it was extremely traumatic for me and it was rape and I was not in a consensual relationship with my step father when I was a young child). It is absolutely not the same thing as two consenting people that are of the age of consent being in a loving relationship or even just having sex. If you can not understand that, you are a sick person with a screw loose. That is not the same thing as an older adult in a position of power (usually in some type of parenting role) manipulating, abusing and raping children. I'm not even going to explain this. It is beyond absurd that a person could not get that and would even start it out by calling it funny. You need help. Anyone that equates those things needs help.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I suffered from low blood pressure before this thread - I am cured, is it a miracle or am I just some gay weirdo?
  • cindaroses
    Options
    And Jesus sayeth unto them, "unless thy neighbor is gay."

GTFO.

It is possible to disapprove of a way of living and oppose certain worldviews while genuinely caring about a person and their well-being.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

GTFO.

It is possible to disapprove of a way of living and oppose certain worldviews while genuinely caring about a person and their well-being.

Indeed. I disapprove of your religious views, but I wouldn't wish ill upon you.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    "Not in a box.
    Not with a fox.
    Not in a house.
    Not with a mouse.
    I would not eat them here or there.
    I would not eat them anywhere.
    I would not eat green eggs and ham.
    I do not like them, Sam-I-am."

I place about as much importance on this quote as I do on any quotes from the Bible. Just because you find the Bible significant to back up your beliefs on homosexuality, doesn't mean it proves anything. If you want to believe it to back up your own hatred or intolerance against a group of people, I cannot stop you. But quoting Leviticus in this thread proves about as much as what I just quoted.

And PLEASE, stop eating green eggs and ham. It is ruining the family structure and corrupting our youth.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options

GTFO.

Indeed. I disapprove of your religious views, but I wouldn't wish ill upon you.

YES! Which is why I don't discuss religion or politics with any of my friends. We don't agree, simple as that. But we still love each other.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Joking aside (and I believe there is a lot of that going on in this thread, otherwise the world would be a very sad place indeed) ...
    As a professional translator, I know how much can get lost in translation, so I would never quote anything for real if I don't understand/have read/can research the source text - eliminating the bible as serious reference for me (the words cooks and pie come to mind).

On a thread related note: Why are so many people so hell bend on dictacting how others have to live their life? Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just accept and love people (male and female) for who they are instead of what they are? There is still this little naive bit of me left that hopes one day we will *draping flowers into her hair and dancing into the sunset* :-) Peace out.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    "Not in a box.
    Not with a fox.
    Not in a house.
    Not with a mouse.
    I would not eat them here or there.
    I would not eat them anywhere.
    I would not eat green eggs and ham.
    I do not like them, Sam-I-am."

I place about as much importance on this quote as I do on any quotes from the Bible. Just because you find the Bible significant to back up your beliefs on homosexuality, doesn't mean it proves anything. If you want to believe it to back up your own hatred or intolerance against a group of people, I cannot stop you. But quoting Leviticus in this thread proves about as much as what I just quoted.

And PLEASE, stop eating green eggs and ham. It is ruining the family structure and corrupting our youth.

People just don't realize that when they eat green eggs and ham, my plain eggs and ham get greener.

its-science-anchorman.gif
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Gay men will marry your girlfriends.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YCdcnf_P8

So very true!! lol This was posted on my FB and compared to some of the men I have met, I would marry a gay man in a heart beat lol
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Honey Boo Boo said everyone's got a little gay in them! :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    The New Testament doesn't say thou shalt disapprove of and oppose gays.

Leave judgement and enforcement of cloudman's laws to cloudman.

Anything else is jihad.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Doctor Oz is a quack. This just confirms it, for me. This form of "therapy" is actually being actively called out by health professionals for it's detrimental mental effects (such as depression): http://www.salon.com/2012/11/28/gay_healers_youre_quacks/
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think people that watch and take Dr. Oz seriously need some therapy.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I beleive all "gay" people are born that way. I also believe there are people who participate in homosexual activity that are not "gay". Before you blast me, hear me out.

I have seen, through the years, many adult survivors of child sexual abuse who participate in homosexual activity (if their abuser was same sex) that do not identify themselves as gay, and normally participate in "hetero" sexual relationships. My graduate degree is in human behavior and I work in the criminal justice system and have seen this play out over and over and over.

People who are born gay can no more become straight than people who are born white can become black. And I really can't see why anyone would want to change them anyway.

However, the people who participate in homosexual activity as a response to child sexual abuse by a same sex perpetrator and who state they had strictly hetero inclinations prior to the abuse, and most generallly seek out heterosexual situations, if interested in changing their sexual behavior (from same sex to hetero) probably can work some of that out through therapy. However, I'm not even totally certain this is possible in many cases.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    "Therapy" suggests a malfunction, something that needs corrected.

Sexual orientation does not need to be corrected. Anything claiming it can do so is just a shaming tactic designed to shove obvious behaviors under the rug.

Funny. This is the same argument used by NAMBLA and other pedophile organizations.
    I doubt very much that the "tolerant" crowd would tolerate a pervert seducing their children in the name of being tolerant of other people's sexual orientation.

What the?!?!

To the person that says Nambla is funny. Please think before you say such thoughtless, hurtful things about actual real traumatic, life altering experiences that actual people have been through. I'm speaking now as a survivor of sex abuse and I speak for myself and no one else (because I do not want to get into arguments about what I went through as it was extremely traumatic for me and it was rape and I was not in a consensual relationship with my step father when I was a young child). It is absolutely not the same thing as two consenting people that are of the age of consent being in a loving relationship or even just having sex. If you can not understand that, you are a sick person with a screw loose. That is not the same thing as an older adult in a position of power (usually in some type of parenting role) manipulating, abusing and raping children. I'm not even going to explain this. It is beyond absurd that a person could not get that and would even start it out by calling it funny. You need help. Anyone that equates those things needs help.

First of sorry about your past. Now second your reading comprehension is kind of off. I am pretty sure by funny they meant ironic that Nambla uses the same argument. Even though they are pedophiles. That is there sexual orientation. Is it wrong? I believe so absolutely. I also believe homosexuality is wrong but I am tolerant of it. On topic though I don't think anyone is born gay. I think social influence and other outside factors help shape a persons sexual orientation.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Ahhh, people quoting Bible when they don't realize what they are saying. Christians don't follow Old Testament laws... We are under the New Testament. All those questions posted are from the Old law... Thankfully we no longer have to worry about cotton/polyester blends and animal sacrifices!

Actually "we" are under the laws of nature, far more powerful than your set of laws. Under nature's laws sexuality is determined in the womb and into the structure of your brain weather you are human or a mouse and cannot be changed by praying or whatever. Your god may be powerful but he ain't no brain surgeon.