How many pull-ups/chin-ups can you do at once?

Options

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I can eat like 60 in a minuet mmm

picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1981

I read the title wrong, but I refuse to remover the orange goodness.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just got my PB of 2 sets of 5 wide bar (overhanded) pullups last night.
    Not done chin ups for a while. Last time I could do about 15... I try tonight
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you do your max, then work on doing assisted with rubber bands or an assist machine. Work on doing reverse pull-ups. The key is to maximize pull-ups is to increase the volume and frequency that you do them (do more of them more often). If you don't have a pull-up bar at home, get one and pound out a set of as many as you can during every commercial break
  • janelgreo
    janelgreo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Highest I have done was 12 in a row overhand pull-ups (a little wider then shoulder width). That was last week.

For all of you struggling, if you can only do one, half of one, or none. Do these, they've helped me a lot.

Negative Pull-ups--
    1) Get a box or something that lifts you up a little higher, or if the bar is low enough for you, you don't need one.
    2) Jump up to the bar to the point where you're at the top of the pull-up (bar touching chest).
    3) Slowly lower yourself, count to 10 & do as many as you can until you can barely even hold yourself up for 2 seconds.

**It's going to BURN, A LOT! So ENJOY THE BURN!!

If you do this consistently, let's say twice a week, I guarantee you'll gain a lot of reps. I went from 1-12 in about 2 months, but I wasn't consistent on it, did it once a week or once every other week.

Also, FORM FORM FORM! I'm sorry but kipping pull-ups don't work the same muscle as regular dead hang pull-ups.

Here are some GREAT advice for pull-ups from Bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/yes-you-can-do-pull-ups-for-major-reps-heres-how.html
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Im not sure of my max, but our physical fitness test includes 20 dead hang pullups for max score so I can do at least 20 but havent ever just kept going to see where I am at...might have to try that.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    6 pull ups. I can't do chin ups because I don't have a bar, I cling onto the edge of a square beam.
    I wonder if it's harder than a bar, anybody ? would I get better results using a bar ?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Pullovers are a great way to isolate the lats and strengthen them if that's your sticking point on doing a pullup like it was with me.

Get ready for a knucklehead to tell you you're doing a skullcrusher wrong though...
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Most I have done was 15 wide-grip strict-pull ups but I was not trying to reach my max on this so idk atm
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I can do 8 neutral grip ones but I do jump up to start the first one. Hey I'm little!
  • TexanThom
    Options
    I can do the same as everybody else...ONE! You asked how many at once...ONE!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    3 sets of 12
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I can do about 30 with a 30kg plate but haven't tried without a plate.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I do the negative pull up or assisted...I need a little help. I do two sets of ten. I keep trying to do more and more completely on my own. But I can only do one unassisted pull - up !!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    6 pull ups. I can't do chin ups because I don't have a bar, I cling onto the edge of a square beam.
    I wonder if it's harder than a bar, anybody ? would I get better results using a bar ?

i find that chin ups are easier for me.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    So far I can do about a half of a pull-up. It is one of my goals this coming year to try and get to be able to do 5 pull-ups.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Correction, I just did 8 !
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    So, nobody can do a pull-up? LOL!

Hey, quit laughing! I've gotten myself up A WHOLE INCH!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    10 but then I stopped because I was super excited as that was my goal for the end of the year. I will be working on increasing these & my new end of year is 20 in a row!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I can do 4-5 (5 is my highest) deadhang pullups, 7 deadhang chin ups, or 24 kipping pull ups before I have to let go of the bar.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    one at once... unless you are looking at this in a multi-verse... then ∞