How many pull-ups/chin-ups can you do at once?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Last night I did 14 over hand grip pull ups, full range, no swinging or cheating.
  • tmfrizzell
    Options
    On Monday night after my workout I was able to do 3 chin ups (overhanded), and was so excited that I tried again this morning. I couldn't do any chin ups this morning, but was able to do 3 pull ups (underhanded).

I've never been able to do either of them in my prior 34 years, so I could not be happier.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The only way I can do them is using the neutral grip handles some pullup bars have, or on a suspension trainer. Palms out (standard pullup) hurts my shoulders and palms in most pullup bars I've used have odd grips for. I can do anywhere from 5-10 of these depending on the day. Seems inconsistent.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Chin-ups, 3 sets of 10 on a good day. Depends on at what point in my workout I do them. If I do them last I'm lucky to get 10-7-5.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    18 dead hang pull-ups, 20 chins
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    0....I will be working on this!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Maybe one :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I dont like the sentence "im going to have to work on _____________" unless it ends with a scheduled date to do so.

To whom, exactly, are you referring? I didn't see where anyone on this thread used that sentence.

REALLY???? wow... you didnt look hard enough - Im staring right at it.. You sure youre not just playing devil's advocate?
    I need to work on my upper body strength.

^ right there....

AM I BLIND - oh wait - dont answer that.... I already know I am.

I think you completely misinterpreted my intention in asking you to point out which comment you were referencing. I read every post, and did not see that. I was sincerely asking you to be more specific because I didn't know what you were referring to. No need to get so defensive and hostile. :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Wide Grip Pullups I can do 12. With a weight belt and +45lb plate added, I can do 7.

Any other pullup variations matter not. It's all about Wide Grip.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    To answer the actual question:
    "How many pull-ups/chin-ups can you do at once?"

I think technically one person can only do one pull up at a time :-) "Consecutive" and "concurrent" are two very different answers!

I have no idea how many concurrent I could do, but my guess is zero.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can do 11 neutral grip pull-ups in good form. The first time I started it took about 3 months to get there. The second time (after a lay-off) it took about 2 months... I would do reps throughout the day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I think they all have their place =)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I think they all have their place =)

agree..I like to go wide grip, narrow grip, normal grip, weighted ..et al
  • climbergirl2
    Options
    I can do 15 in one series.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can eat like 60 in a minuet mmm

picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1981

I read the title wrong, but I refuse to remover the orange goodness.

LMAO!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    3 wide-grip, 6 chin-up grip. Working on getting those up.
  • Cwyman1
    Options
    I've heard that you do your max, then work on doing assisted with rubber bands or an assist machine. Work on doing reverse pull-ups. The key is to maximize pull-ups is to increase the volume and frequency that you do them (do more of them more often). If you don't have a pull-up bar at home, get one and pound out a set of as many as you can during every commercial break

Good info! I made myself one at home in my basement. Works pretty good.
  • Cwyman1
    Options
    Highest I have done was 12 in a row overhand pull-ups (a little wider then shoulder width). That was last week.

For all of you struggling, if you can only do one, half of one, or none. Do these, they've helped me a lot.

Negative Pull-ups--
    1) Get a box or something that lifts you up a little higher, or if the bar is low enough for you, you don't need one.
    2) Jump up to the bar to the point where you're at the top of the pull-up (bar touching chest).
    3) Slowly lower yourself, count to 10 & do as many as you can until you can barely even hold yourself up for 2 seconds.

**It's going to BURN, A LOT! So ENJOY THE BURN!!

If you do this consistently, let's say twice a week, I guarantee you'll gain a lot of reps. I went from 1-12 in about 2 months, but I wasn't consistent on it, did it once a week or once every other week.

Also, FORM FORM FORM! I'm sorry but kipping pull-ups don't work the same muscle as regular dead hang pull-ups.

Here are some GREAT advice for pull-ups from Bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/yes-you-can-do-pull-ups-for-major-reps-heres-how.html

WOW! Thanks for all the great info.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    None. And proud of it. I've never really aspired to be able to do it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    None. And proud of it. I've never really aspired to be able to do it.

thanks for posting!!!