30 Day Shred December (Challenge?)

Options

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Day 7 of L1 done. It really is getting easier every day. Also I have felt I have more energy generally and also added a 25 minute bike ride and also power walked my dog today instead of a gentle stroll. Only thing I still have a problem with is jumping jacks and skip things. I still try them and do more each day but have to revert to jog on spot instead for last bits. Think, as previous posts said, its my knees that are the problem here. Still very pleased with my progress.
  • lili89
    lili89 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I completed day 6 of level 2, i love the workout but iv unfortunately strained a muscle in my hip doing leg lifts! i hope it repairs as soon as possible as i am really noticing a difference in my body shape and don't want to have to rest too long.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am very proud of you for attempting this with the spinal cord injury that you had. Good for you! Did your dr say that he feels it will be okay? I would definitely listen to your own body since you have specific issues that not all other people have. I have had open heart surgery and have a mechanical aortic valve, so have to listen to my body too.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have a back injury as well, more soft tissue than an actual neurological injury requiring relearning how to walk (good for you btw). I have done the 30DS video twice over now and just started Ripped in 30 yesterday for some variety (so yes, it gets better to the point you get bored with the same thing!).
    I know it's now a week in and I hope you have not given up but if your body can't handle what JM puts out there, MODIFY it. Reduce the weight or range of motion or reps, I use an exercise bike for the cardio instead of the plyometrics as my joints can't handle the impact, at all. I do stability exercises instead of some of her crazy ab stuff. Just keep moving. It's only 20 minutes. I also found a heart rate monitor useful and gives me my calories.
    So do what works for you to keep you moving rather than trying to keep up to someone on the video, especially if you have never exercised before! My results are not as dramatic (I have bad knees too) but my arms are much more toned and my ab's are solid, not a 6 pack, but strong. Which helps my back too. I'm pretty happy with that so now on to modifying Ripped in 30...
    And don't forget rest days, 30DS does not mention them but put them in for muscle recovery-time (just make sure you get back to it the next day!)
    Good luck.

Wonderful advice from someone with similar issues as you have!!!!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,411 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Just have to get...the...plastic...wrap...off...the...darn...DVD...I already hate Jillian!

5'6"
    bust 37 1/2
    waist 30
    hips 36 1/2
    thighs 19 1/4
    left arm 11 1/2
    right arm 10 3/4

12-1 ...day one down...muscles hummin'
    12-2 ... rested
    12-3...day two...muscles are now screamin'; also walked 5 miles; total steps 12,724.
    12-4...shopping w/daughter after work...more fun than workin' w/Jillian!
    12-5...third shred day, plus 3 miles, plus up/down steps at work-ground floor to fourth floor seven times.11,200 steps, 4.89 miles
    12-6...shopped and cooked...up/down steps at work-ground floor to fourth floor seven time-that about covers it...
    12-7...walked two hours w/SO, also four floors at work...total steps 12,975, 5.67 miles...will double shred this weekend while puppy sitting!!!
    12-8...fourth shred day! 20 mins of Bob Harper...hurt you cuz I can DVD! 164 mins walking...total steps 19,513, 8.54 miles.
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Don't worry about the weight on the scale. There are countless reasons why your number on the scale could be higher (water retention, too much salt etc.) Go by what your tape measure and the fit of your clothes tell you.

Edit: Also don't fall into the trap of thinking that cutting calories will cure all evils. If you've already cut it to 1200 or less then cutting out even more might hinder weight loss more than it helps. Take a look around the forums, there's a lot of info about eating enough for your bodily needs. I especially recommend this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    [/quote]

Thanks for this. I think you're right and I'm going to keep an eye on the scales but trust the tape measure more. I hadn't cut my calories before at all and I was probably eating way too much, but now I'm using the app and sticking to 1200 calories and I feel much better for it. I work from home so don't need to eat a lot so this feels right.

Got 2 days left of level 2! Can't wait to move up a level as this one is getting annoying now!
  • cpanus
    Options
    I'm in. Just have to get...the...plastic...wrap...off...the...darn...DVD...I already hate Jillian!

5'6"
    bust 37 1/2
    waist 30
    hips 36 1/2
    thighs 19 1/4
    left arm 11 1/2
    right arm 10 3/4

12-2 ... rested
    12-3...day two...muscles are now screamin'; also walked 5 miles; total steps 12,724.
    12-5...third shred day, plus 3 miles, plus up/down steps at work-ground floor to fourth floor seven times.11,200 steps, 4.89 miles
    12-6...shopped and cooked...up/down steps at work-ground floor to fourth floor seven time-that about covers it...
    12-7...walked two hours w/SO, also four floors at work...total steps 12,975, 5.67 miles
    12-8...fourth shred day! 20 mins of Bob Harper...hurt you cuz I can DVD! 164 mins walking...total steps 19,513, 8.54 miles.
    12-9..shred day 5! 20 mins w/Bob! 164 mins walking...total steps 19,262, 8.41 miles
  • lizz2013
    Options
    So, halfway through my 30DS and here are the results so far:

weight - no change
    arm - 13.5" no change
    bust - 44" now 43"
    waist - 39" 38"
    hips - 44" 43"
    bum - 46" 45"
    thigh - 27" no change

I haven't been calorie counting except for the last 2 days so I'm amazed there's any change at all! I feel slimmer and fitter already though so I'm positive about the next half! Hoping for another inch off everywhere, but we'll see!
  • sandradev1
    Options
    Did day 8 yesterday so day 9 today of L1. Getting much easier and seeing results on the tape measure and my energy levels. Looking forward to changing to L2 soon.
  • licialooful
    Options
    hey everyone! i've been stalking this forum for a while now and decided to try the 30 day shred after reading about it on here. i'm so glad i did! even though i haven't posted anything before, reading about other people doing it and seeing results has definetely kept me motived. I'm currently on day 3 of level 2. I did level 1 for 9 days, took a day off, and started up with level 2 after my break. I'd also like to add that on day 3 level 2 still kicked my *kitten*... lol. I didn't take any measurements before I started but I did take a couple before pictures. When I started I weighed 185.5 and this morning I weighed in at 183. I wasn't going to take another photo until day 30 but this morning I was feeling a little down about loosing such a small amount of weight so I took an updated photo and boy am I glad I did! After 12 days Jillian Michaels is my hero lol. I am 100% convinced my lack of weight loss is because of muscle gain now and after seeing how much my body has changed in just 12 days of doing this I am PUMPED to continue! This is my first time ever posting on a forum and I can't figure out how to add photos, but I am tracking my weightloss on youtube and I made a video (does anyone else LOVE windows movie maker??) with my photos side by side. If anyone is interested in looking at my before/after pictures you can find them at http://www.youtube.com/licialoosesweight. Hope everyone is having as much fun with this program as I am!! Also, what is everyone's plans after the 30 day shred? I am thinking asking my husband for her body revolution series for Christmas and doing that next.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Just got my first taste of level 3. 9 days to go! Those sumo jumps are killllller! And here I thought I had "muscular thighs". Woops, I guess not!
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also, what is everyone's plans after the 30 day shred? I am thinking asking my husband for her body revolution series for Christmas and doing that next.

I am going to do C25K and I'm super excited about that. I am finally back to WANTING to run and I am soooo happy. I am on D8L1 and am thinking about moving up to L2, but it scares the heck out of me.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    Well had very busy day today and thought I would not do shred today. Later this afternoon I changed my mind and so glad I did because I really enjoyed it after all and felt more energetic after.
    I did day 9 of L1 today. I was beginning to get bothered about moving onto L2 as I still can't manage all the cardio parts and have to march it out instead. Well....I took a peek and now I'm really excited. It looks to be more stength/toning and there are only jumping jacks for 30 secs at beginning (YEH). Thinking of changing over tomorrow and dong 11 days of L2 instead.
  • HuggyTheDinosaur
    Options
    I just joined at the suggestion of a friend. Today was day one of the shred.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Today was day 1 for me!
  • cpanus
    Options

5'6"
    bust 37 1/2
    waist 30
    hips 36 1/2
    thighs 19 1/4
    left arm 11 1/2
    right arm 10 3/4

12-2 ... rested
    12-7...walked two hours w/SO, also four floors at work...total steps 12,975, 5.67 miles
    12-9..shred day 5! 20 mins w/Bob! 164 mins walking...total steps 19,262, 8.41 miles
    12-10.shred day 6! stairs at work 7 times, 65 mins walking...total steps 13,422, 5.86 miles.
  • lizz2013
    Options
    Well done to everyone who is starting the shred! I'd definitely recommend cutting calories at the same time (to what MFP recommends) as you'll see much better results! Good luck!
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I did Day 6 of level 1 this morning. I can feel my endurance increasing, but I still feel it working! Can't do the Natalie style push ups, though! And the squats I do is something in between Natalie and Anita. I can definitely see some improvement in my body, but my weight hasn't come down yet... Maybe I'm too focussed on weight!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    I did Day 6 of level 1 this morning. I can feel my endurance increasing, but I still feel it working! Can't do the Natalie style push ups, though! And the squats I do is something in between Natalie and Anita. I can definitely see some improvement in my body, but my weight hasn't come down yet... Maybe I'm too focussed on weight!

I think with this workout it is best to ignore weight and focus on the tape measure and photos. You gain a lot of muscle so any weight loss is an added extra really. Good luck :)
  • lizz2013
    Options
    Just finished Level 2!!! Now I can pretend for the next 24 hours that its all done with! Bit worried about Level 3, but I'm determined!!!