How long to wait before you got rid of your "fat" clothes

Options
12346»

Replies

• SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am going to get things tailored that I paid quite a bit for and still love and everything else I am going to give to my friends/family and donate whatever they don't want. This post made me laugh because I have bags of clothes that I need to get out of my house! They are actually driving me nuts.

That's exactly how I feel - they are driving me crazy!! I have all these clothes and nothing to wear - well not much to wear :)
    I found a frined in need to give the better maker items to and will donate the rest.
    I did tailor some of the pants in the waist previously, but they are too big again and it's through the hips and butt so they look bad when they are baggy. - Easier and more fun to get new updated style ones.
    Thanks for the input everyone.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I put mine up on Craigslist as soon as I can fit into the next size smaller. I don't want them sitting around...I might think it's okay to slack on my eating or exercise because I have some pants to fall back onto!

eww, who buys used clothes on craigslist!

the people, like me, who have a family and cant afford to buy brand new clothes every time you turn around. Ill gladly take clothes from thrift store, craigslist, freecycle, ebay, friends, family--- shoot ill even take it from the food pantry. Free is best but cheap is good too!
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way...getting rid of the "old/ negative" (in this case fat clothes) makes room for the "new/positive" (your new body and new clothes)!
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I donate them the minute they get too big. I don't want to ever be the size I was again and well I'm too cheap to have to buy a bigger sized clothes. I do good to buy smaller sized ones. lol
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I've done it sporadically. However I did just get rid of some more the other day which are a size larger than what I am. For me it's more motivation to make sure I never land back in them!
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    As soon as they get too big and I replace them, they go to the church's clothing drop-off.

I HAVE, however, kept one pair of jeans from when I was my heaviest so that I will never forget what I have accomplished and to remind me to never let myself get that way again.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my 18/20 clothes 2 yrs ago went to a size 10/12 and regret it now with a huge weight gain partially from hypothyroid...So right now I have my 10/12 stuff in the closet waiting and had to go out and buy some clothes I can 'get by' in til I get back down to my goal weight..... I never thought I would need my 18/20's again but it happened and I wish I would have kept them.... Good luck on your journey and keep up the great work!
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them ASAP! As soon as I size out of something, into the Goodwill pile it goes. I don't want to mentally give myself the option of going back there, and in the event I do backslide, I want it to be a wake-up call. If my jeans are getting a little tight, I don't want to be able to just reach into the back of my closet for a bigger size.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have gotten rid of anything that was bigger than a size 24 pants or XXL shirt. I can now wear a 22 pant, but I only have two pair so I am still wearing size 24 and using a belt. Once I get down to a size 20, I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy at least one or two pair of jeans, though I do have several pair of 18.

So, for me, it's time to get rid of them as soon as I have other clothes to wear.
  • bellavita0125
    bellavita0125 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I get rid of my fat clothes as soon as they are too big and no longer flattering, so to speak. I only kept ONE pair of jeans that are from when I was at my heaviest. I kept them because I want to take a comparison picture once I reach my goal weight. Plus it is kind of fun to put them on and really get an idea of how big I WAS and how far I have come from that. Hope this helps..
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have ketp one pair of jeans,one bloise and one t-shirt as a physical reminder of where I will NOT go back to...
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    gone I'm a 6-8 and i have a few pairs of 10s that i wear w/ a belt but otherwise all of it is gone
  • redsag26
    Options
    I have tossed all of my 'fat' clothes when they became unwearable. I only kept one outfit which I wore in the picture I took the day I start losing weight so when I hit goal I could take a picture of me wearing them again. We can't live life expecting we will fail. Toss/donate/sell them.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, as soon as they don't fit- as in, falling off, they are gone. It has worked, I never went back to those size 22/24 clothes. I am just a few lbs/inches away from my next size- and I cannot wait to shop (and drop off clothes).

Too expensive? Whats more expensive? Too much food, medical bills, medication? Just a matter of priorities- if you leave the clothes around, you give yourself the option to gain the weight back.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I put mine up on Craigslist as soon as I can fit into the next size smaller. I don't want them sitting around...I might think it's okay to slack on my eating or exercise because I have some pants to fall back onto!

eww, who buys used clothes on craigslist!

the people, like me, who have a family and cant afford to buy brand new clothes every time you turn around. Ill gladly take clothes from thrift store, craigslist, freecycle, ebay, friends, family--- shoot ill even take it from the food pantry. Free is best but cheap is good too!

All my jeans now are from the thriftstore. Its better than paying 50 bucks for something I plan to get too small for. For those of us living within our means thats the way to go
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with lots of posters here, as soon as the clothes are too big or I go down a size then out they go!!!! I donate them to the Hospital Thrift Store and the Salvation Army so I feel good not only about losing weight but also about helping others who are less fortunate. In the past I have kept some clothes that were too big, but that always felt like a safety net and an excuse to slack off, well not this time!!

As I drop a size, I appreciate and celebrate my success, donate the clothes and start to work on dropping another size!! I refuse to go back to my old ways, this is a new me for life!
  • mrsbiscuit
    Options
    I vote get rid of them, too! I'm donating my too-big clothes as I grow out of them, personally. I'm keeping ONE pair of jeans from my highest weight so I can do one of those stand in one pant leg pictures when I get to goal, lol. And as a reminder that I NEVER want to go back there again.
    The only thing I've regretted getting rid of are *smaller* clothes.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For me, as clothes were just getting ridiculously baggy, I would get rid of them and try to replace with new clothes. If I got rid of like 3 pairs of jeans and 6 tops I would try to buy at least 1 new pair of jeans and 3 tops to make sure I had enough clothes. I went from a size 13-14 to a 3-4. The biggest pair of pants I have now are 9's, but they are skinny jeans so I can still make them work!
  • srobinson84
    srobinson84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    They are gone as soon as I no longer can wear them. I will never go back, ever.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!