Giving up cheese

Options

Replies

• SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What's the point of life if you give up cheese? Here's what I think, forget about those yucky cheap cheeses. When you need some cheese treat yourself to a good quality cheese. Try Old Amsterdam Gouda. At $20 per pound you're not likely to eat it without control.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Lol insect poo?
    If you love subway cold cuts do you know what % of the animals eyes, brains, intestine and bone make it into that "healthy" lump of meat they gingerly slice and place on the bread for you?
    Mmmmmmm eat fresh!

#fearmonger
    #boredatwork
    #laughingatcheesethread
    Win.

I think Dan and WinnerVIctrious are tied for win of the thread.
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    This is what I eat for my evening meal

Small Garden Salad With Iceberg Lettuce, Cucumbers, Carrots and Cherry Tomatoes - Iceberg, Cucumbers, Carrots, 1 cups
    26 cal
    Baguette French - Bread French, 100 grms
    285 cal
    Homemade Cheese fondue, 150 g
    344 cal
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When i started MFP i was fallowing calories etc. but I was not losing. I randomly decided to stop eating cheese for a few months and I started losing really fast. Hahah go figure.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    LOL Most folks from the States would not eat hotdogs or lunchmeat if they actually knew what was in them. I eat souse and I know what's in it. :D
    Lol insect poo?
    If you love subway cold cuts do you know what % of the animals eyes, brains, intestine and bone make it into that "healthy" lump of meat they gingerly slice and place on the bread for you?
    Mmmmmmm eat fresh!

#fearmonger
    #boredatwork
    #laughingatcheesethread
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Here is why I gave up cheese. I hope you have a few minutes to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bavqEcofOK0

It seems like (and I like how they left that part out) those are specialty cheeses you wouldnt find in most US stores.

Those studies are mostly US based, one was Canadian, our neighbors up north. All backed by studies published by reputable medical journals.

Eat what you like! You know my reasons, I don't want to eat cheese because the aroma and flavor is due to the mite poop!
    This is right up your alley........knowledge is power, this should load your gun and empty your stomach, just don't starve yourself.

http://www.insectsarefood.com/iaf.php?title=bugs-in-our-food-supply&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Nothing wrong with insects, it's insect poop that gives cheese the aroma and flavor. So, go for it.

Insect poo?? Really?? How about cultures that cause fermentation along with acids. It seems like everytime you post the things you say are more and more clueless. lol

Insects are sometimes used in the fermentation process according to this video, though my guess is that these aren't standard practice for most US cheeses and certainly not processed cheese:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cheese-mites-and-maggots/

And in some cutlures in the world they eat insects as protein. So what? This poster, this video and he logic (or lack thereof) is all about fear mongering. Orthorexia much??

I was merely clarifying a point made by someone else. I also stated that including insects in US cheese production is likely to be a rare practice. I buy cheese for my family. Perhaps you are reading too much into what I said.

My apologies if I was not clear, my comments were more about the ludicrous assertions of the poster we were both quoting and referng to.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Cheese is gross. Once you stop eating it, you'll realize how disgusting it is. It just adds zero value to anything. It's a horrible food product. Its just a big giant glob of fat. Why would you put into your body that which you are trying to get rid of?

dietary fat =/= body fat

My goodness so much misinformation.

Personally I love cheese :D
    Misinformation, indeed. Dietary fat DOES equal body fat. The body coverts food fat into body fat quickly and easily, 100 calories of ingested fat can be easily converted to 97 calories of body fat. Basic human biology, people. Though I still love and eat cheese just more carefully.

Only if you are in a calorie surplus. Don't demonize fats or any other food for that matter. At maintenance or in a deficit, dietary fat does not equal body fat. In a surplus anything you eat equals body fat!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Doesn't everything cause cancer, now?

*enjoyed my cold white pizza for breakfast this morning*
    Not spinach. Or kale. Or peaches. Or mangoes. Or lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, swiss chard, cantaloupe, potatoes, dates, carrots or bell peppers.

In fact, diets consisting of whole, plant based foods have been known to REVERSE cancer, as well as heart disease, diabetes and a variety of auto-immune diseases.

However, diets rich in animal foods, such as cheese, are correlated with higher cancer rates.

So, to answer your question:
    NO, NOT EVERYTHING CAUSES CANCER NOW. But the pizza you ate this morning may help promote it's growth.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    NO, NOT EVERYTHING CAUSES CANCER NOW. But the pizza you ate this morning may help promote it's growth.

they walk among us
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Boy, this is one...cheesy....argument. lol
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I just skipped from page 1 to page 6, and the discussion hasnt moved an inch! Good thing I did not waste time on pages 2-5. lol
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

they walk among us
    Intelligent people? It must freak you out, huh?
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I gave it up a long time ago. But I never liked it in the first place. Good luck!
  • erinn1977
    erinn1977 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Laughing Cow cheese. They are wedges that are only 45 calories and they are pre-portioned. I usually eat a wedge on baked crackers or pretzels.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sorry, wrong. I personally love cheese, but it is not healthy, so don't delude yourself into thinking that it is. Cheese is the most prevalent source of dairy fat and, therefore, the primary source of exposure to dioxin which even the EPA admits is the primary cause of Kant types of cancer (Charnley, et al. Human Exposure to Dioxins from Food. 1999 - 2002. Food Chem Toxicol. 2005. May; 43(5): 657-660.). Cheese is a powerful inducer of acid load, which increases calcium loss, so that blows away arguments for eating cheese to boost your intake of calcium. Cheese has 10 times more saturated fat as a chicken breast. Even low fat cheese is a very high fat food.

So, wait, you think fat is bad for you, I see where the disparity lies here.

Think what you like, but saturated fat is not the healthiest fat. I eat fats, fats are important. But cheese has a very high level of saturated ft. Not hard to look up the medical studies. Fats do not require much work for the body in terms of "digestion"; they will never be negative calorie foods!

There is no such thing as a negative calorie food! All food has calories.
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i gave it up when i went vegetarian. It was really hard at first but it just got so much easier and now I dont even want it. It's nice to know I cut out a lot of fat and extra calories too, that helps me stay clear of it. I used to eat like half a chunk cheddar cheese and not think anything of it. That's 550 calories and 45g fat (25g sat). Occassionally I do buy lactose free cheese slices (25 cal/slice, 0 fat) but the taste isn't the same and I dont have to have it.

Nutritional yeast may be something to look into. A lot of vegans/vegetarians use it (B vitamins). It has a cheesy flavor and a decent amount of protein.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a great source of protein and yummy. I keep cheese sticks in my car for a quick low cal snack. The Cheese haters here are probably vegan and don't think any dairy is good which it is.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm cheese.....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I keep cheese sticks in my car for a quick low cal snack.

be careful...not sure if this is true but-

"Cheese sticks should always be refrigerated when not being cooked with or consumed. If cheese sticks are left out they can form bacteria and spoil, therefore making the person eating the stick sick. Cheese sticks can be left out at room temperature only if they are sealed from the air, not left in high heat and not left out for more than two hours."

Read more: About Cheese Sticks | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4571804_cheese-sticks.html#ixzz2DzYnAH2p
  • rebeccab515
    rebeccab515 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to cut way down myself as my cholesterol is sky high and I eat a log of cheese!