YOGURT......

Options

Replies

• chaosrocks
    Options

I do agree that now a days you can say this about most foods, because in fact most foods are processed and unhealthy. Not from a natural source. By me saying we are the only species it was just an example so you can futher research and question why are we the only ones? But I suppose I asked for the whole supermarket schpeil.

But... I'm trying to give health advice to a person who asked for it, not to decipher how far we've evolved and what products we should and shouldn't use.

Studies about dairy has proven to cause indigestion, acne, hormonal imbalance, etc.
    After pasturization and homogenization you will find dairy has slim to no nutrients in it.

Often people assume we need calcium to grow. Now this is true, where do you get calcium from? with the most common answer being milk... Actually our own body stores calcium so unless you have a disorder you wont need milk or any other dairy product to do that for you, because your body take care of that itself. Now knowing this when you are consuming too much calcium this is causing an imbalace, now your body has to fix and balance itself.

There are much more reasons to not consume dairy. But you can choose wether to better educate yourself on nutrition, or not.

This is the science I believe whether anyone chooses to take it in to consideration is totally up to them.
    I was under the impression that this webpage was to share health and wellness information.

Actually I work in and am qualified to degree level in lifestyle healthcare, previously in pharmacy and primary research laboratories. I have read plenty of published research and base my opinions and recommendations with my nutrition clients on that. But if it suits your Notmilk powered POV to think I am stupid enough to swallow what commercial organisations want us to believe wholesale crack on. If you want to share information feel free, but please make it accurate you missed out "in a small number of susceptible individuals".

Of course out bodies store calcium and it's partner nutrient, in the bones. When our diets are deficient or when we need calcium to alkalinise the blood we will draw on those stores. Personally I like my dairy nourished bones and teeth the way they are - never broken so much as a phalanx, no fillings until my late thirties after an illness, prescribed meds and oral neglect. N=2 since my sibling is the same. If my clients wish to eat canned oily fish with the bones still in plus a wide variety of green vegetables on a daily basis instead of dairy to get the nutrients they might miss (not just calcium as you claim) they are to be applauded and encouraged, but in the real world very few do.

As a Vegan I also have never broken any bone in my entire life, never had any health problems, I can't remeber the last time I had a common cold. And my teeth are beautiful and unfilled.
    Seeing as you are 'Qualified' you would know that canned oily fish and dairy aren't the only options either. Because if those were the only sources for stong bones, I could take on a rhino seeing as they are vegetarians
  • chaosrocks
    Options
    I totally missed the part about the body storing calcium so we don't "need" it. Where does she think the body gets the clacium to store???

My apologies, I didn't know you needed every detail.
    You can google it if you must.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think so. I like greek yogurt anyway for the protein. Also helps balance out the bacteria in your gut, I've read. I've also heard it's a good substitute in recipes such as sour cream and such. Haven't tried it yet, though.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Studies about dairy have been proven to cause health problems? Cool, I'll just keep eating my nummy goat yogurt and ignoring the studies!

Seriously, though. Humans are also the only species to eat cooked food. And the reason we did both is because they are evolutionarily advantageous. Humans began losing lactose intolerance when we started settling down in one spot because the ability to drink animal milk helped us survive when other food sources were scarce. And we started cooking food because it allowed us to absorb more nutrients than from a raw food diet, which helps run our precious brains.

Where did you find this information out? Seriously... I'm interested

With pleasure.

For the evolution of lactose tolerance:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_evolution/2012/10/evolution_of_lactose_tolerance_why_do_humans_keep_drinking_milk.html

For the role of cooking in evolution:
    http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/10/raw-food-not-enough-to-feed-big-.html
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=cooking-up-bigger-brains
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I didn't want anyone to get all caught up in my Question lol Yes or No would have been fine with me :p
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If it is high in protein and low in sugar... yes :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I totally missed the part about the body storing calcium so we don't "need" it. Where does she think the body gets the clacium to store???

Really, that's OK. I have certain sources I trust and I doubt any of them would back up anything you've posted. But, yeah ... the human body doesn't create calcium out of thin air. And with a grandmother suffering through severe osteoporosis, I'm not taking my chances.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As a Vegan I also have never broken any bone in my entire life, never had any health problems, I can't remeber the last time I had a common cold. And my teeth are beautiful and unfilled.

You're 21.
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt everyday. I get Light N Fit Greek Yogurt...it's soo good and has fruit on the bottom...idk about sugar content but there's only 80 calories.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy eating chemicals made in a lab, sure. Eat up!

I enjoy the nourishment of self-righteous people. :flowerforyou:

Activia Vanilla yogurt contains cultured grade reduced fat milk, fructose, water, sugar, contains less than one percent of whey protein concentrate, corn starch, modified corn starch, kosher gelatin, natural vanilla flavor, malic acid and sodium citrate. Activia also contains the active cultures L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus and Bifidobacteria Lactis.

If you knew me in real life you would never call me self righteous. My Mom fought cancer for 18 months. She's one of the inspirations I use to avoid weird chemicals in my diet. I'd call that the opposite of self righteous.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just go for Greek yogurt (the Trader Joe's one is delightful), Icelandic yogurt, or organic yogurt. All of the ones I mentioned are easy to find without chemicals.

How I wish Skyr was easy to find in the US? I miss it so much just from my short time in Iceland. The Siggi's is junk compared to Skyr. If you have access to Skyr, give it a try. it has next to no fat naturally and good protein count. Fage has to serve as a substitute until we travel again, lol.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

You're 21.

BOOM!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you are 'Qualified' you would know that canned oily fish and dairy aren't the only options either. Because if those were the only sources for stong bones, I could take on a rhino seeing as they are vegetarians

There is no point in the conversation if you are going to ignore parts of the discussion that don't suit your adversarial position, is repeating GREEN VEGETABLES any clearer?

Given you live in the land of pearly whites and are only 21, I'd hope your teeth are unfilled and you don't have osteoporosis or cardiac problems! My sibling and I add up to roughly four times your age, I haven't had a common cold in eight years and only one stomach upset (from a meat take away I was too lazy to reheat ironically!) over the same period. My sibling had influenza last winter, our diets diverged over ten years ago tho. Not really sure what that has to do with dairy, I'm not aware of any serious claims it boosts immune function!!
  • chaosrocks
    Options

There is no point in the conversation if you are going to ignore parts of the discussion that don't suit your adversarial position, is repeating GREEN VEGETABLES any clearer?

Given you live in the land of pearly whites and are only 21, I'd hope your teeth are unfilled and you don't have osteoporosis or cardiac problems! My sibling and I add up to roughly four times your age, I haven't had a common cold in eight years and only one stomach upset (from a meat take away I was too lazy to reheat ironically!) over the same period. My sibling had influenza last winter, our diets diverged over ten years ago tho. Not really sure what that has to do with dairy, I'm not aware of any serious claims it boosts immune function!!

So tell me why you are bringing this up again if you say there is no point?
  • chaosrocks
    Options

Really, that's OK. I have certain sources I trust and I doubt any of them would back up anything you've posted. But, yeah ... the human body doesn't create calcium out of thin air. And with a grandmother suffering through severe osteoporosis, I'm not taking my chances.

Whatever. I do believe there are healthier ways to get calcium. But if that is the only way you know how to treat a disease as such, I would never suggest against it.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned the benefits of the probiotics in yogurt.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned the benefits of the probiotics in yogurt.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml

oh we did in a roundabout way. I told people that the health benefits in Activia are just a marketing scam and that those benefits are the same in regular yogurt. I should have gotten more specific though you are right.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Just go for Greek yogurt (the Trader Joe's one is delightful), Icelandic yogurt, or organic yogurt. All of the ones I mentioned are easy to find without chemicals.

How I wish Skyr was easy to find in the US? I miss it so much just from my short time in Iceland. The Siggi's is junk compared to Skyr. If you have access to Skyr, give it a try. it has next to no fat naturally and good protein count. Fage has to serve as a substitute until we travel again, lol.

I think you can use this Skyr searcher tool: http://www.skyriceland.com/where-to-buy-skyr
  • chaosrocks
    Options

Whatever. I do believe there are healthier ways to get calcium. But if that is the only way you know how to treat a disease as such, I would never suggest against it.

Why not share your 'certain sources'?
  • chaosrocks
    Options

You're 21.

BOOM!

Jealous? ;)