The Biggest Loser, the worst show on TV

Options

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I do not watch much tv but I just think it's amazing how much weight these people lose. Who cares why they're doing it or why they didn't do it before? Good for them for getting healthier and I hope they keep the weight off.

Wrong. They dehydrate before every weigh in, work out in as much clothing as possible when the cameras are off, and after the finale, almost all of the contestants gain 10-20 pounds in water weight because they weighed in SO dehydrated. Season 1 winner dehydrated to the point where he pissed blood for the final weigh in.

Yeah, show us that.... We need to see real plateaus, real struggle, real breakthroughs.

This last season, there was a week where most of the black team didn't lose or gained weight for the week so they could vote off the returning do it from home chick.. I thought how could they have eaten when the place isn't packed with ****ty food? The answer, they simply didn't dehydrate themselves for their weigh in.

What the $&^*(^&*%
  • Brandnewme150
    Brandnewme150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I take different things from it that others might. I see a bunch of people working out every week that are much heavier and in poorer health than I am and it makes me feel like I have no excuse not to exercise. The show also got me onto Jillian's videos, which are such are great find to me. I'm never going to join a gym. It's not me. I will do her videos at home and become stronger as I lose weight. I usually hear Jillian say things that are positive.

I don't care if someone else thinks this is the worst show on TV and I agree with several things in the Center for Health Media & Policy quote... but it's naive to not recognize that it's a TV show... produced by a business... that might want to make a profit. If the show was put together by PBS, then the gripe would be more justified. There are far worse reality shows on TV with absolutely no redeeming qualities, IMO.
    Love this, I'm the same way I do the biggest loser workouts and im doing ripped in 30 right now.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Jillian Michaels fan specifically for her DVDs (see my profile if you don't believe me).

That said, I couldn't agree more with this post. I never did care for this show, and these words above have been my reasons. Bravo and well said!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Note - MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE, DEHUMANIZATION AND EATING DISORDERS - http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Whoa... holy...

That is unreal!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Note - MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE, DEHUMANIZATION AND EATING DISORDERS - http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

WOW, that is just horrifying.

:noway:

I hope those of you saying "just don't watch it if you don't like it' read this.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Read that article and I'm retracting my statement!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Not that I hope that the people on the Biggest Loser fail (because I do think its great that they can get an opportunity to make a positive change to improve their health), but they live in an unrealistic bubble and I always wondered if they are so 'successful' in the long run. How come they dont have a reunion show showing where everyone is years later - huh? huh? huh? I'm guessing its because many of them return to their old habits when they dont have Jillian and Bob screaming and shaming them.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show, though I did see some of it a few times. If you are morbidly obese and willing to exercise a ton and eat sparsely you can do it yourself. Maybe not to the degree that these people do but you can lose 100 pounds in a year or more. People do it.
  • maz_z
    maz_z Posts: 55
    Options
    I think its awesome that they are losing weight, but at the same time, its an unrealistic idea for most of us out here. once they are out of the house, most loser's put weight back on as it is simply not a sustainable lifestlye.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm in the minority. I started watching the show about 4 years ago. The show has been one of my inspirations for losing weight and getting in shape. It didn't create unrealistic expectations to how much weight I was going to lose. Im pretty sure I'm not the only person that was inspired to make a huge lifestyle change.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Many of them gain their weight back
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Some will say the show is so motivational, but what is motivational about someone who could not better themselves without dangling a huge cash prize in front of them, sequestering them in a remote location and having crappy trainers berate them while forcing them through exercise for 6-8 hrs a day? Why couldn't they find the motivation and will power to adhere to a diet and exercise program without all that? There are many stories here of people who did just that, those people should be commended and celebrated well before any Biggest Loser constant should.

And that, dear sir, is why this post is awesome.

Biggest Loser is just sad beyond belief, and it just feeds into the ever-present notion that weight loss has to be a miserable 100% balls-to-the-wall-burning-2000-calories-per-workout-and-be-hungry-or-stay-fat-forever endeavor. The notions of patience, relearning a healthy relationship with food and the body, and building that new body from within are totally missing from that show. It is downright dangerous IMHO.

And, now that I've agreed with you, I'll post this nugget:

XRa82.gif

Totally agree with both posts quoted.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    They have done reunion shows/specials. They often bring old contestants back to the show and to be in the workout DVDs. Some do fail and go back to old habits but it's not any different than those who go back after losing tons from gastric bypass, weight watchers, or other weight loss programs.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This is just...horrifying. Wow. Makes you look at the show in a whole different light, yikes!!!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    That's why Caroline Rhea left after season 3, the behind the scenes of that show are shocking
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Isn't the VS Fashion Show unrealistic results?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    ...I take different things from it that others might. I see a bunch of people working out every week that are much heavier and in poorer health than I am and it makes me feel like I have no excuse not to exercise...

This is the ONLY half positive thing I see in that show.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    ...I take different things from it that others might. I see a bunch of people working out every week that are much heavier and in poorer health than I am and it makes me feel like I have no excuse not to exercise...

This is the ONLY half positive thing I see in that show.
    Well, to me, it's a full positive.

I can't think of anything positive at all from shows like Jersey Shore, whatever Housewives of whatever place, so.... The Biggest Loser isn't the worst there is on TV.
  • kbogart1996
    kbogart1996 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, my friend who once was a shill for Scott Hermann Fitness.