The Biggest Loser, the worst show on TV

Options

Replies

• willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Big whoop regarding that article. She's probably a weak person and the show triggered it. The show didn't CAUSE it. End of story. That said, I'd rather watch VS any day.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with Jillian as a person or her fitness videos. I totally forgot about the dehydration before the weigh-ins since it's been years since I've seen the show. I do remember one contestant from an early season who gained every pound back after losing a LOT (200 lbs or so?) of weight. I remember seeing him on tv saying how he just 'failed' in the real world. It's true - when the contestants are locked away in a remote location away from their lives and families and the real challenges of sustaining weight loss, how could they not have problems keeping the weight off after the show?

I guess it's just a double-edged sword. It makes great television to see people make major physical changes. That in itself is motivating. It's just sad to see what actually goes on behind the scenes. Next season each contestant is going to be assigned a CHILD too. How is the show going to help the kids battle self esteem issues? --- SIGH---

Kind of reminds me of the Ringling Brothers, "The Greatest Show On Earth" --- it's excellent entertainment until you find out that the poor animals are being abused in order to learn the tricks. UGH!!!!
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters, but I will disagree with your post.
    Not that it is not just another crappy tv show, maybe it is to some degree. I agree It is totally plugged with corporate sponsors, that is annoying and one reason I pay for DVR :) I hate commercials in general.

However, I have worked with people with addictions for a long time. It is not easy for anyone to quit smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. I think It is just as hard for people to quit overeating once it has become a coping mechanism. Some of the people on Biggest Loser are addicts. Most cannot say "oh ya, I just need to exercise like crazy and watch what I eat" and end up with a six pack. They need rehab (biggest loser environment) where someone is watching them, pushing them and trying to keep them in line. Just like some people who are alcoholics and need rehab cannot say "Oh ya, I just need to quit drinking and my life will be back to normal" It is a process. It takes determination, it takes that power within that you don't know you have. The treatment is just slightly different. An alcoholic rehab is not going to get in your face and yell at you. They may have to medicate you, sedate you, restrain you, then tell you to dig deeper though.

To see how much exercise is required, how much you have to pay attention to what you are eating, and how much determination it takes is a real eye opener for those watching the show. We live in a society where everything is at our fingertips. Many people diet and try to exercise and give up because 'it didnt work for me', because the pounds didnt just fall off. I think this show really shows how hard you would have to work in order to lose that many pounds in such a small amount of time.

But, whatever, it is just another stupid reality show. It is on one of hundreds of other channels available on cable television.
    I cannot say that watching VIctoria Secrets annual show is any better, and it is definitely just as unrealistic as any crappy reality show like the biggest loser. You can't tell me they all keep those bods eating the right amount of food, making healthy food choices and not over exercising.

Just sayin'
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan anymore anyways... but I'm especially ticked off when I saw the commercial that next season they are putting KIDS on the show too. Those poor kids are going to be so screwed up. Exploitation at its finest.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Weight is not a moral or character issue. It’s a health issue. But the Biggest Loser is relentless in characterizing contestants as initially weak, childlike, and even, in trainer Bob’s words, “broken” people.

I have never seen that show, but I'm willing to bet that if you are willing to go on a show like that, you just might be "broken," at least mentally, emotionally, spiritually, etc.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. My objection to the show started with the title, and I've never had time for it.

I only have two issues with the articles the OP quoted. One is the contempt for people who get to that size. I don't believe this happens for no reason and I think often it's a way of self medicating. I don't have any way to back that up, just a sense.

The other is that I don't believe it's only about the money - I do believe these people desperately want to lose weight, and I bet they feel it's their last chance. And I think people can make changes much more easily when you take them out of their usual environment, away from all the frustrations of their day to day lives.

Two cents.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think the comment about being too humiliated to go to the gym is an interesting one.

I might be one of the "fit people" at the gym that some people might feel "humiliated" by...But I actually really respect people who make the effort to go to the gym fullstop, regardless of what their weight is or what they look like. At least they're making an effort to fix the situation. I think that's true of most serious gym-goers. There's not many there who'd look down on you if you're putting the effort in.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to watch the show. It is impossible not to be intrigued and fascinated by watching people do something so difficult and [apparently] succeeding.
    That said, I think it is horrible how the show presents the results as almost entirely due to how the people work out. Losing weight is about how you eat. The show barely touches on how the contestants eat. It is an incredibly important teaching moment lost -- week after week, season after season.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Pertaining to the person who said they need to put stuff on tv about real athletes its called sports and they make millions doing it lol. Would def be kinda cool to have reality shows based around their training schedules!! But I also hate reality t.v. and hate watching it since 98% of it is usually crap or lies... But hey why must we always look for subliminal messages in everything, if someone sees it as motivational let em,hopefully they will do their own research and find a way to get results in a healthy way.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm a reality TV junkie, so I have watched several seasons of Biggest Loser. I have also read the horror stories. I like Jillian Michaels, but I like her better off the show. That said, I just found out today that a local lawyer is going to be on this season. I'll be watching, or at least watching everything but the challenges--I hate that part. I record it every week and end up watching about 1/3 of the show, to include the weigh-in and the end where they show the kicked off contestant at home. I am also interested to watch because they have decided to have the contestants wear BodyMedia Fit armbands again this season.

Don't care anything about the VS Fashion Show, but I did wear VS products today. Don't own any Biggest Loser products.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    ...I take different things from it that others might. I see a bunch of people working out every week that are much heavier and in poorer health than I am and it makes me feel like I have no excuse not to exercise...

This is the ONLY half positive thing I see in that show.
    Well, to me, it's a full positive.

I can't think of anything positive at all from shows like Jersey Shore, whatever Housewives of whatever place, so.... The Biggest Loser isn't the worst there is on TV.

LOL, those shows are why I don't have cable.

I say "half positive" because they are still working out a crazy amount of hours and working out with injuries. It still pushes the exercise must equal pain and agony mentality.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    It motivated me... because I didn't want to become the people on the show. I didn't want to get to that point. So it made me take a close look at myself and make changes NOW instead of continuing down the path I was on.

But that was it.

Otherwise, the show is junk and unrealistic.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Note - MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE, DEHUMANIZATION AND EATING DISORDERS - http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Yeah. Never watching this show again! (Haven't watched it in a long time anyway). Very sad!!!
  • I adore JM workouts, but find that show utterly unwatchable.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Big whoop regarding that article. She's probably a weak person and the show triggered it. The show didn't CAUSE it. End of story. That said, I'd rather watch VS any day.

So wait: this woman had an eating disorder because she's a WEAK PERSON? *head explodes*

FWIW, I wouldn't watch either.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I think the Biggest Loser is basically public atonement/confession. It's not bad because they need to work out, they get abused into working out. Don't like that.

The Victoria Secret Fashion show is nothing but ladies wanting attention and getting it for it from millions of people they find personally unattractive.

So yeah, neither are very appealing.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

So wait: this woman had an eating disorder because she's a WEAK PERSON? *head explodes*

FWIW, I wouldn't watch either.

Sorry, your profile pic made me laugh out loud, like literally.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love watching the show, probably watch reruns of it almost everyday.

It's reiterated throughout the show that you can't reach that level of weight loss at home, but, you may have missed that if you've never actually watched an episode.

I would never expect to lose what they're losing, wouldn't want to.

What is good about the show is that it's a showcase of the hyperobese actually losing weight and often even keeping most of it off. Yeah, some do regain, but there are plenty of people who lose weight slowly at home who regain too, that's not surprising. It's a good show for that person who has watched their family members fail at weight loss, who is obese, to see other obese people lose the weight. The most amazing thing for people to see is the people who were sent home early in the season who show up at the finale 30% + lighter having lost the weight at home. There is nothing I love more than seeing someone who thought they couldn't lose weight end up going home early in the show and then winning it at the end.

Honestly, I don't really care if a lot of people on here hate the show, there is plenty about it to hate. Some of their tips are idiotic, the product placement is over the top, and the emotional breakthroughs are just another reality stunt. What I love to see is how great someone who was 400 lbs can manage to look 8 months later having used diet and exercise to their advantage.

If anyone benefits from that show by deciding to make changes in their lives, then, well, it's a whole lot better than Jersey Shore.

Any obese person at some point though has to have their own moment of realization. For me, it was sitting in a local Chinese buffet. I looked around and noticed that half the clientele that particular day were beyond obese and a whopping 25% of those in the restaurant were using motorized carts to get around. It just hit me that we were all in their trading our freaking mobility for a couple extra plates of cheap food. It was mortifying. I probably would have noticed that at some point even if I had never watched Biggest Loser.. lol

There just are much worse things on TV to vilify..

No, I don't care about the VS fashion show either.. lol I bought a few of their bra's and they had the underwire's popped through a couple months later, didn't last anywhere near as long as any others I've bought, so I haven't been back. I don't own any Biggest Loser stuff either though..
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've only seen a couple episodes over the years and agree it sucks, but calling it the worst show on TV is a bold statement- there is so much crap on television I can't even wrap my head around picking a "worst"
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I don't watch the show, though I did see some of it a few times. If you are morbidly obese and willing to exercise a ton and eat sparsely you can do it yourself. Maybe not to the degree that these people do but you can lose 100 pounds in a year or more. People do it.

You don't have to exercise a ton or eat sparsely to loose 100 lbs in a year, I've lost over 160 lbs in 13 months while not ever starving and having a normal exercise plan.

From what I can find on the internet, 40-50% have kept their weight off after 2 years after their show, which is a high rate for any program type.

But I don't care for the show for many of the same reasons already mentioned. The fact they're putting kids on this year is disturbing. Having an adult go into that situation is one thing, kids who probably don't have the cognitive skills yet to deal with who they are and what they're getting in to is just wrong.