Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts towards hydration
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No. Pure water, is water. Sodas, juices, dairy products are liquids that contain water. You need water, Water, WATER. Pure Water!
    No. No you don't. As long as you are hydrated by anything that contains enough water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope

If your milk is solid, you may want to check the expiration dates in your fridge.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Milk is 85-90% water. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_milk_is_water

You can get "water" in many different ways.

hydrating-foods.jpg

Edit: The 8 glasses of water recommendation is an arbitrary number. It does not take into account water you get from food. The climate where you live. The energy that you expend daily. To much water can make your kidneys work harder than they need to. No one knows how much to much water is. Just like no one really knows how much water is required daily.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope

Milk is a solid?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No. Pure water, is water. Sodas, juices, dairy products are liquids that contain water. You need water, Water, WATER. Pure Water!
    No. No you don't. As long as you are hydrated by anything that contains enough water.

^^this is correct

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/2/165.short

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short

http://bjsportmed.com/content/40/5/406.abstract (sports drinks might actually be more effective than plain water)

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/592S.short (food counts too)
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Seriously? No Milk is not water! It breaks down into our systems differently..Water is water and Milk is Milk..I mean fish and chicken are both meats so are they the same? NO!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those saying it's water. Also, tea is not water. Yes, it's made of water, but tea is also a natural diuretic. Soda has water in it too, do you log that as water? No.

I was told that you are supposed to drink one ounce of water for every 2 lbs you weigh. I weight 190, so I need to drink 80 oz of water daily.

I don't think 2 water bottles a day is enough, in my opinion.

Tea is not such an extreme diuretic that it cancels out the water you used to make it. That is a myth. And yes milk counts towards hydration as well. I still drink tons of water because I am thirsty and I want to. But, when I drink green tea or milk it also hydrates me.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Anything that hydrates you can be counted towards your water intake, so yes. Count the calories as well.
    This goes for coffee as well, and sodas etc. It has been shown that the caffeine has a negligible effect.
    Your stomach doesn't know what was mixed with the water before it got there else drinking a glass of water and eating anythng with it wouldn't hydrate you either...think about it.

This makes no sense...
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cows drink water, water is liquid. Cows make milk. Milk is liquid.

Therefore:

Milk = Water
    are you serious .... i'm sorry but wtf?
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

to everyone else thanks for the info :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No Milk is not water! It breaks down into our systems differently..Water is water and Milk is Milk..I mean fish and chicken are both meats so are they the same? NO!!

Yes there are compartments in your stomach

One is labeled milk, water, OJ etc

Each gets seperated
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Anything that hydrates you can be counted towards your water intake, so yes. Count the calories as well.
    This goes for coffee as well, and sodas etc. It has been shown that the caffeine has a negligible effect.
    Your stomach doesn't know what was mixed with the water before it got there else drinking a glass of water and eating anythng with it wouldn't hydrate you either...think about it.

This makes no sense...

It makes absolute sense.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    As long as you account for the calories, feel free to click the up arrow in your water ticker as well. The ultimate goal is to be hydrated, and the water part of milk counts.

8 oz of whole milk = 227 g., containing:
    8 g fat
    11 g carbohydrate
    8 g protein
    Totaling approx 27 g of solids, leaving 200 g water, about 88%.

So, if you want to be really technical about it, it's only giving you 7oz of water per 8 oz serving. :tongue: :drinker:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

This makes no sense...

It makes perfect sense. If you eat chocolate with coffee in it and then drink water, the water still counts. Same if you mixed it into the water before mixing it in your tummy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

This makes no sense...
    Au contraire...it makes perfect sense.

Whether someone may or may not prefer to count/log anything but water, that has nothing to do with how your body processes it. Some of the silliness in this thread is akin to saying that if you put peanut butter on fried chicken, it's not fried chicken anymore and you don't have to log it as such.
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i'm hoping he means counting it as hydrating his body with fluids. then yes it counts but the difference is obviously the calories involved. and two to three bottles a day isn't enough water even if you drink 3 cups of milk you need more. you should be drinking any where from 9-12 cups of a water a day if your working out then you should up that to 1 gallon of water at the very least.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Cows drink water, water is liquid. Cows make milk. Milk is liquid.

Therefore:

Milk = Water
    are you serious .... i'm sorry but wtf?

What do you mean? What's wrong with it?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

And they both count towards protein.....and hydration, actually.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i'm hoping he means counting it as hydrating his body with fluids. then yes it counts but the difference is obviously the calories involved. and two to three bottles a day isn't enough water even if you drink 3 cups of milk you need more. you should be drinking any where from 9-12 cups of a water a day if your working out then you should up that to 1 gallon of water at the very least.
    if i break it down into cups i drink about 6 cups of milk and 6 cups of water by 8 oz = 1 cup