does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

to everyone else thanks for the info :)

Honestly? I just keep an eye on my pee. Some days I'm thirsty all day and suck water down like a fish. Other days, I don't feel like drinking that much, so I just keep an eye on the color and drink when I feel like it or need to. If it's a pale yellow or close to color-less, you're plenty hydrated. Everyone has a different magic number. You'll find yours. :)
    solid advice

You collect your pee? are you drinking that for hydration? I'm confused now.

Where did I say I drank my pee? I said I look at the color and drink when I feel like it or need to, not look at the color and drink IT...
    why cant it be both? i mean stare at them long enough you might wonder the taste difference

It has to be filtered. Otherwise, you're going to end up constantly increasing the concentration of everything you're peeing out. Rookie pee-drinker move.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8ez3ywuIQ1r6hxuw.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

Honestly? I just keep an eye on my pee. Some days I'm thirsty all day and suck water down like a fish. Other days, I don't feel like drinking that much, so I just keep an eye on the color and drink when I feel like it or need to. If it's a pale yellow or close to color-less, you're plenty hydrated. Everyone has a different magic number. You'll find yours. :)
    solid advice

Where did I say I drank my pee? I said I look at the color and drink when I feel like it or need to, not look at the color and drink IT...
    why cant it be both? i mean stare at them long enough you might wonder the taste difference

images13-1.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    No, Water is used to rid the body of unhealthy toxins. Water also fills the stomach, doesn't add calories and makes you less hungry. If you drink a glass of water before a meal, your less likely to eat as much. Therefore it's extremely important. If a person has high cholesterol, drinking water is better and reduces the weight in a healthy way. I know, I drank coffee tea and milk all the time but until I started drinking 8 cups of water per day, I didn't start to lose weight.

N=1. No way could any other lifestyle changes have had a simultaneous impact. Good study.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

solid advice

It has to be filtered. Otherwise, you're going to end up constantly increasing the concentration of everything you're peeing out. Rookie pee-drinker move.
    how the hell did this end up with us talking about the proper way to drink pee?
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist & Realist,
    While you guys were busy argueing about the glass of water, I drank it.
    Sincerely the Opportunist!

to OP milk isnt water, I class it as a protein, water is water yes milk itll hydrate you, so will food, a tomato has dam load of h20 in it but I wouldnt class that as a glass of water xx also milk is high in sugars log it as milk.
  • lovechicagobears
    Options

Blame the person who failed reading comprehension.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Milk has calories in it water dont simple
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

touche
  • brittuhnay
    brittuhnay Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    ...no... they're two entirely different things
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    This topic is making me thirsty! Off to have a glass of water with ice. It's a good thing I don't drink milk or I'd be stuck! (Can I count my glass of water if it has ice in it?)
  • lovechicagobears
    Options

touche
    Not you. The original person who misunderstood. I knew you were joking. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Milk has calories in it water dont simple
    So let me make sure I have this straight....if I take a glass of water and add 1 gram of vegetable oil to it, it now has 9 calories. So if I drink that substance, it won't hydrate me any more because it now has calories in it?

Seems legit.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Water = Water. Milk = Milk. They are not the same thing, unfortunately.

While I agree that milk (skim) is great protein and very good for you, it cannot be considered the same thing as water.

Coffee and tea are also (to some extent) good for you and keep you full but those also cannot really be considered the same things as water because they dehydrate you. For every cup of coffee or tea you have, try to have an extra cup of water.

I would not say this is necessary for milk because it does not dehydrate you, however I would not count it towards your daily water consumption goal.

But milk is still really good for you and as long as you watch the calories (especially if you're drinking something other than skim), because even at ~80 calories per serving too many glasses can add up fast, then DRINK UP! :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options

That post was meant to be humorous. We need a snark font.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I know it is late, but is this a serious question? Water is water, milk is milk...pretty self explanatory
    again i state. i was just wondering if milk counted towards the amount of water i need to drink in a day not if it actually was water but if i needed to drink just as much or even more water because of the milk i drink
    So, did you come to any conclusions? Are you going with 1) it's a liquid mostly of comprised of H20 and count it or 2) taking the stance that it's milk, not water? There is only one scientific answer btw. :wink:
    so many different opinions haha

I posted peer reviewed studies - not opinion. Basically milk can be counted towards your hydration.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Water = Water. Milk = Milk. They are not the same thing, unfortunately.

While I agree that milk (skim) is great protein and very good for you, it cannot be considered the same thing as water.

Coffee and tea are also (to some extent) good for you and keep you full but those also cannot really be considered the same things as water because they dehydrate you. For every cup of coffee or tea you have, try to have an extra cup of water.

I would not say this is necessary for milk because it does not dehydrate you, however I would not count it towards your daily water consumption goal.

But milk is still really good for you and as long as you watch the calories (especially if you're drinking something other than skim), because even at ~80 calories per serving too many glasses can add up fast, then DRINK UP! :)

The dehydrating impact of caffeinated is negligible. Coffee is hydrating.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this also. Basically liquid is liquid. If you have say, 8 glasses of juice I feel that's almost the same as water. Ya know?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    This topic is making me thirsty! Off to have a glass of water with ice. It's a good thing I don't drink milk or I'd be stuck! (Can I count my glass of water if it has ice in it?)

or ... can you count the ice you put in your milk?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Luckily for me, I centrifuge my milk before drinking it and consume the H2O, fat, protein, and carbohydrate solids separately (though in the same sitting). That allows my body to correctly file the molecules, and I get my deserved 7oz of hydrating H20 per cup.