does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    It surprises me that people constantly try to change the system that this site already has in place. The water count does not say "We recommend you drink 8 glasses of hydrating liquid" it says "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day". Water counts as Water, nothing else.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    No, milk is milk. Water is water. Tea is not water, soda is not water, sports drinks are not water! It makes a difference when you are drinking enough actual water.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I know it is late, but is this a serious question? Water is water, milk is milk...pretty self explanatory
    again i state. i was just wondering if milk counted towards the amount of water i need to drink in a day not if it actually was water but if i needed to drink just as much or even more water because of the milk i drink
    So, did you come to any conclusions? Are you going with 1) it's a liquid mostly of comprised of H20 and count it or 2) taking the stance that it's milk, not water? There is only one scientific answer btw. :wink:
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I know it is late, but is this a serious question? Water is water, milk is milk...pretty self explanatory
    again i state. i was just wondering if milk counted towards the amount of water i need to drink in a day not if it actually was water but if i needed to drink just as much or even more water because of the milk i drink
    So, did you come to any conclusions? Are you going with 1) it's a liquid mostly of comprised of H20 and count it or 2) taking the stance that it's milk, not water? There is only one scientific answer btw. :wink:
    so many different opinions haha
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    milk is a dairy, it's not the same as water. it's a food group!

Milk is almost 90% water. Think back to high school chemistry. Water is a molecule. Milk is composed of many molecules (fat, protein, milk sugars...). In the intestines, the body absorbs molecules individually. So the water "sees" the water molecules as water, the fat molecules as fat, ect. The body doesn't "see" milk.
    It surprises me that people constantly try to change the system that this site already has in place. The water count does not say "We recommend you drink 8 glasses of hydrating liquid" it says "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day". Water counts as Water, nothing else.

It's also a recommendation that hasn't been given by any credible source and has long been disproved. I have no idea why they say it.

No, milk is milk. Water is water. Tea is not water, soda is not water, sports drinks are not water! It makes a difference when you are drinking enough actual water.

How? In terms of hydration?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yeah, could you imagine the health consequences if someone didn't drink water, considering water is needed for life itself.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    so many different opinions haha
    Seriously? Good luck with your nutritional needs.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    In my book milk counts as milk, water as water and tea as tea.....

Well, sure, if you wanna be rational about it. But can't I just have a chocolate shake and call it water?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

How? In terms of hydration?
    The logic all goes back to my previous post - if I put peanut butter on my fried chicken, it's not fried chicken anymore because even though it started out as fried chicken, now it has something else on it, so it's magically no longer fried chicken. That makes just as much sense as saying tea isn't water anymore because you dunked a bag into it and changed its color, or that milk doesn't hydrate you just like water does because even though it's 90+% water, it has a few additional ingredients in it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

to everyone else thanks for the info :)
    I got what you were saying.. I was goofing around when I talked about skim cows because for the longest time I had no clue that when fat was removed from the milk it was replaced with water. Make perfect sense now, it's rather like white water...with no raft.

I say it's hydrating your body... so drink up! :drinker: :wink:
  • djames92
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

I got what you were saying.. I was goofing around when I talked about skim cows because for the longest time I had no clue that when fat was removed from the milk it was replaced with water. Make perfect sense now, it's rather like white water...with no raft.

I say it's hydrating your body... so drink up! :drinker: :wink:
    thats what im leaning toward.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    oh, good Lord.

I think the OP is reasonable, and he gets it, of course. it does help/count toward your hydration. you're good.

for the rest of you goof balls:

400pancake_bunny.jpg
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yeah, could you imagine the health consequences if someone didn't drink water, considering water is needed for life itself.

Yeah, I'm totally worried about all those babies drinking nothing but breastmilk...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Honestly? I just keep an eye on my pee. Some days I'm thirsty all day and suck water down like a fish. Other days, I don't feel like drinking that much, so I just keep an eye on the color and drink when I feel like it or need to. If it's a pale yellow or close to color-less, you're plenty hydrated. Everyone has a different magic number. You'll find yours. :)
    solid advice

You collect your pee? are you drinking that for hydration? I'm confused now.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Water...... is water....
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Honestly? I just keep an eye on my pee. Some days I'm thirsty all day and suck water down like a fish. Other days, I don't feel like drinking that much, so I just keep an eye on the color and drink when I feel like it or need to. If it's a pale yellow or close to color-less, you're plenty hydrated. Everyone has a different magic number. You'll find yours. :)
    solid advice

Dude, didn't you know being green is all the rage now? Gotta do your part and recycle! :bigsmile:
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options

solid advice

Where did I say I drank my pee? I said I look at the color and drink when I feel like it or need to, not look at the color and drink IT...
  • djames92
    Options

solid advice

Where did I say I drank my pee? I said I look at the color and drink when I feel like it or need to, not look at the color and drink IT...
    why cant it be both? i mean stare at them long enough you might wonder the taste difference
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm totally worried about all those babies drinking nothing but breastmilk...

Checkmate!
  • Scialina
    Options
    No, Water is used to rid the body of unhealthy toxins. Water also fills the stomach, doesn't add calories and makes you less hungry. If you drink a glass of water before a meal, your less likely to eat as much. Therefore it's extremely important. If a person has high cholesterol, drinking water is better and reduces the weight in a healthy way. I know, I drank coffee tea and milk all the time but until I started drinking 8 cups of water per day, I didn't start to lose weight.