does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    i'm hoping he means counting it as hydrating his body with fluids. then yes it counts but the difference is obviously the calories involved. and two to three bottles a day isn't enough water even if you drink 3 cups of milk you need more. you should be drinking any where from 9-12 cups of a water a day if your working out then you should up that to 1 gallon of water at the very least.
    if i break it down into cups i drink about 6 cups of milk and 6 cups of water by 8 oz = 1 cup
    Yer good, and just to confuse the ones who need to take an elementary science class, the good news is, I heard that beer is more hydrating than water. :laugh:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Anything that hydrates you can be counted towards your water intake, so yes. Count the calories as well.
    This goes for coffee as well, and sodas etc. It has been shown that the caffeine has a negligible effect.
    Your stomach doesn't know what was mixed with the water before it got there else drinking a glass of water and eating anythng with it wouldn't hydrate you either...think about it.

What he said.

Seriously? No Milk is not water! It breaks down into our systems differently..

Huh? Last time I checked, milk was made up of many molecules, including water, that get absorbed as separate components...so the water in milk is absorbed as water.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    hydrating-foods.jpg

Yummmmmmmm...
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as water either because it's simply not water. Tea and coffee, however, I do count as water.

Tea & Coffee, those the primary ingredient is water, are both dehydrators and do not have the same effect as water (actually has the opposite).
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    ahhhhh no
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as water either because it's simply not water. Tea and coffee, however, I do count as water.

Tea & Coffee, those the primary ingredient is water, are both dehydrators and do not have the same effect as water (actually has the opposite).
    Wrong answer.
  • lovechicagobears
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

to everyone else thanks for the info :)

Honestly? I just keep an eye on my pee. Some days I'm thirsty all day and suck water down like a fish. Other days, I don't feel like drinking that much, so I just keep an eye on the color and drink when I feel like it or need to. If it's a pale yellow or close to color-less, you're plenty hydrated. Everyone has a different magic number. You'll find yours. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The dehydrating effect is negligible
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    to everyone who thinks that i actually was wondering if milk was water no i am not that dumb. and since you didnt get it i mean that since i drink alot of milk do i count that toward the amount of water i need to drink in order to stay hydrated

to everyone else thanks for the info :)

Honestly? I just keep an eye on my pee. Some days I'm thirsty all day and suck water down like a fish. Other days, I don't feel like drinking that much, so I just keep an eye on the color and drink when I feel like it or need to. If it's a pale yellow or close to color-less, you're plenty hydrated. Everyone has a different magic number. You'll find yours. :)
    solid advice
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those saying it's water. Also, tea is not water. Yes, it's made of water, but tea is also a natural diuretic. Soda has water in it too, do you log that as water? No.

I was told that you are supposed to drink one ounce of water for every 2 lbs you weigh. I weight 190, so I need to drink 80 oz of water daily.

I don't think 2 water bottles a day is enough, in my opinion.

I second this
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh no

Vegan bias. What if the question were "I drink 6 glasses of almond milk a day, and 6 glasses of water. Do I need more water or does the almond milk contribute to my hydration?"
  • djames92
    Options
    I disagree with those saying it's water. Also, tea is not water. Yes, it's made of water, but tea is also a natural diuretic. Soda has water in it too, do you log that as water? No.

I was told that you are supposed to drink one ounce of water for every 2 lbs you weigh. I weight 190, so I need to drink 80 oz of water daily.

I don't think 2 water bottles a day is enough, in my opinion.
    uhh that would be 95 oz not 80....
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

I've thought about this enough - I decided to not count coffee even though it's mostly water. I do count tea though. Not sure why :-)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

That's actually the recommendation I've been taught to give from my nutrition classes. Make sure you don't feel thirsty and make sure your pee is light in color. The "8 cups a day" thing is nonsense.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No Milk is not water! It breaks down into our systems differently..Water is water and Milk is Milk..I mean fish and chicken are both meats so are they the same? NO!!

Yes there are compartments in your stomach

One is labeled milk, water, OJ etc

Each gets seperated

^^ This.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I know it is late, but is this a serious question? Water is water, milk is milk...pretty self explanatory
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

That's actually the recommendation I've been taught to give from my nutrition classes. Make sure you don't feel thirsty and make sure your pee is light in color. The "8 cups a day" thing is nonsense.

Amen. Finally some common sense!
  • djames92
    Options
    I know it is late, but is this a serious question? Water is water, milk is milk...pretty self explanatory
    again i state. i was just wondering if milk counted towards the amount of water i need to drink in a day not if it actually was water but if i needed to drink just as much or even more water because of the milk i drink
  • lovechicagobears
    Options

Umm, yeah... I weigh 312 pounds. I'd have to drink 156 ounces per day. That's 19.5 eight-ounce glasses. I'm really not into hyponatremia...

I stand by my "check your pee" statement.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    so i know your supposed to drink alot of water every day but when i drink milk do i count that as water or do i just have to drink that much water still?

milk is a dairy, it's not the same as water. it's a food group!