does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified better. Someone who routinely drinks coffee may build a tolerance to it so it will not cause any form of dehydration. However, someone who does not drink coffee regularly has a good chance of becomming dehydrated. So it is important to remember to drink water if you are not a regular coffee drinker.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My god. :sad:
    I think there are as many uneducated people on this site as MySpace.
    This site is MySpace trying to lose weight.
    So much fail as my daughter would say...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I post only to move ths back to the top. because it's fun.

oh, and I'm enjoying a loca moca java this morning. I was thirsty before I drank it, but am not now. does this mean it is hydrating me, or am I now more dehydrated than when I woke up because it isn't really a liquid, there are calories in this can and also scary, scary caffeine?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    when I'm on a dive boat, I try not to drink too much water as peeing in my dry suit is fun for the first few minutes and then not so good. peeing off the back of the transom during a surface interval is just too damn hard. I eat fruit instead to get fluids. Then at the end of the day I drink beer.

will I die?
    Yes. Sooner or later, we will all die.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And people wonder why they have trouble losing weight and getting into shape!! 7 pages of arguing over whether milk is hydrating?? Of course it is. Better not to get hung up in the little things and make it too complicated.
    Eat less than you burn at a reasonable deficit
    Eat good macros with nutrient dense foods
    Stay hydrated
    Move more

'nuff said!
  • jendialam
    Options
    If tea didn't count as water my Mum would be dead lol unless wine counts? :P

I think my mom and sister would agree about the wine.... LOL
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This thread contains more misinformation than most MFP threads.

Why do people continue to post that milk is not water and cling to the drink 8 cups of plain water a day myth? Milk is not water but it contains water. I think there should be a requirement to read every post before posting a reply.

All beverages with the except of some very high alcohol content alcohol have water in them. Most food has a percentage of water. Some very high. You could never drink a liquid and still be adequately hydrated.

The color of your pee can be a indicator of hydration but not always. Certain foods can influence this. For a while I was taking a multi-vitamin that made my pee a fluorescent yellow. It was kind of fun.

Your body is very good at regulating water. Conserving when it needs to and dumping excess when there is to much. Excessive amounts of water do not boost metabolism, flush toxins from your body, or cause weight loss. Excessive water can overwork your kidneys. Adequate hydration is important, 8 glasses a day is an arbitrary number. Their is a benefit to water during weight loss in that it can make you less hungry or make you feel more full.
  • Aish30
    Aish30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Did you mean if milk counts towards your fluid intake?.
    Yes it does. And so does any other liquid you drink except for alcoholic drinks.

In fact, milk is a great post workout drink.

Post workout nutrition is crucial for muscle recovery & rehydration. The common advice is to have whey after a weight lifting session because it's a fast protein. You want to get protein in your muscles as fast as you can for recovery.

Truth or marketing from supplement companies? Fact is that many weight lifters have used milk as a post workout drink for years.

Milk Content. 1 cup (250ml) whole milk contains 8g protein, 13g carbs & 8g fat for a total of 150kcal. 1 cup also has 290mg calcium & 107g sodium. This combo makes milk perfect for lean body mass gains & recovery. Full content:

Casein. Slow digesting protein. Milk consists for 80% of casein, a dairy protein that keeps you full longer and helps fat loss & muscle repair.
    Whey. Fast digesting protein. Milk consists for 20% of whey which helps muscle repair. This is the same kind of whey you find in protein shakes.
    BCAA. Milk is rich in branched chain amino acids : leucine, isoleucine and valine. A diet rich in protein, especially dairy protein like milk, will get you plenty of BCAAs. No need to waste your money on supplements.
    Carbs. Milk contains lactose. Your body uses this sugar to replenish your energy stores. Some can't digest lactose. Check the tips at the bottom.
    Fat. Unless you go fat-free, milk contains 1 to 3g fat per 100ml. Fats digest slowly and keep you full longer, thus decreasing hunger.
    Calcium. Dairy calcium increases fat loss & improves bone health. The latter is especially important if you're a woman (osteoporosis).
    Water. Milk is about 87% water. Proper hydration improves muscle recovery and can increase strength by preventing fatigue & stalling.
    Electrolytes. Milk contains sodium & potassium. These minerals improve re-hydration by retaining the fluids you consume post workout.
    Nutrients. Biotin, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, vitamin K, riboflavin and many others (naturally or through fortification).

5 Reasons You Should Drink Milk Post Workout.

Muscle Gains. Research shows a mix of slow and fast digesting protein is superior for lean body mass gains. Milk is 80% casein, 20% whey.
    Fat Loss. Dairy calcium increases fat loss. The fat in milk keeps you full longer which decreases hunger and thus helps you to lose fat.
    Recovery. Milk is a fluid and has electrolytes. Research shows milk is superior to water and sport drinks for rehydration post workout.
    Cheap. When you consider the protein (whey/casein/BCAA) and calorie content of milk, it's one of the cheapest foods available.
    Easy. Milk requires zero preparation. 1 quarter (1 liter) milk can be a perfect post workout meal depending on your daily caloric needs.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would honestly treat milk as a food and not as water. I rarely drink calories (as much as I can help it). Four liters of water a day though works for me.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    let's keep it going, folks. I know we can get this topic to roll over if we try hard enough.
    :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I read an article that says ANY non-alcoholic beverage is hydrating.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    milk is not water. but in the context of hydration, milk will do. Up until not that long ago in history no one drank water, they drank beer or other fermented drinks (that's the shortened version).

and then there's the pee test. As someone else said, certain vitamins turn your pee a virulent yellow. Has no one here eaten asparagus? More importantly though - if your pee is clear, you are stressing your kidneys.

and what about water filling your stomach making you less hungry? again, false. Studies have shown that this is not the case as water is processed pretty quickly. soup, on the other hand, is good at filling the stomach and making you less hungry.

Plus - is water the best liquid to have? We could argue not, after all, milk has good nutrients, tea has antioxidants, Guinness has iron the list goes on.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, there's an awful lot of abandoned common sense at the front-door of this thread.

Of course milk is hydrating. So is cucumber, soup, and even things containing tiny amounts of water. Milk is mostly made up of water.

And if only 'pure' water can hydrate you I know an awful lot of people who never drink plain water and I fear I may have to give them the bad news: that they're dead, and most likely zombies, and that I must now destroy them to save human-kind.

Now, I'm quite literally going to go away and drink a nice cold glass of milk.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hydrating-foods.jpg

Yummmmmmmm...

bump. good chart!
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    To the OP, no it does not.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    To the OP, no it does not.
    Now your just trolling.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified better. Someone who routinely drinks coffee may build a tolerance to it so it will not cause any form of dehydration. However, someone who does not drink coffee regularly has a good chance of becomming dehydrated. So it is important to remember to drink water if you are not a regular coffee drinker.

Yes, a tolerance will be built up for the teeny tiny dehydrating effect of the actual coffee which is more than made up for by the milk or water it is made with.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should not drink milk period, our bodies have not evolved yet for us to be used to this unnatural product. Also, if you are serious about working out, it increases the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Good luck.

If our bodies have not evolved to be able to drink it, how come we can??? And btw - milk is a very good drink if you work out.
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    Not that this has anything to do with the discussion but Mark Rippetoe recommends a gallon of milk a day for bulking. :wink:
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope

Umm no. Milk is not a solid. I think you are thinking of cheese.
    Milk is 85-90 percent water so a cup of milk is not the same as a cup of water. However, you could safely count it as water if push comes to shove.

Having said that, you are right with straight water being the better choice. Especially over soda.