Irritation: Clueless people who need to add their 2 cents

Options
124»

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    can i get a coles notes version?

all i all its a weightloss site and everyone on here knows more than the next person and loosing 5lbs basically qualifies you as a nutricionist/doctor on this site.

I myself delete those hooligans and keep my list to people who want and try to help without advising me how to live my life
    If you don't want to read the original post, it's probably best to not comment. I was talking about people in real life, not people online. FYI

I it was a joke. 2 It happens everywhere everyone knows better than the next person thanks to dr Oz or whom ever is the big thing at that time

3 maybe being a little less snarky? just an idea?
    Sigh... Kinda hard to "delete" people from real life... You generally go to prison for that.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    can i get a coles notes version?

all i all its a weightloss site and everyone on here knows more than the next person and loosing 5lbs basically qualifies you as a nutricionist/doctor on this site.

I myself delete those hooligans and keep my list to people who want and try to help without advising me how to live my life
    If you don't want to read the original post, it's probably best to not comment. I was talking about people in real life, not people online. FYI

I it was a joke. 2 It happens everywhere everyone knows better than the next person thanks to dr Oz or whom ever is the big thing at that time

3 maybe being a little less snarky? just an idea?
    Sigh... Kinda hard to "delete" people from real life... You generally go to prison for that.

Stop making me laugh in the library. :angry:
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Stop making me laugh in the library. :angry:
    Hahaha Thank YOU for the laugh! :wink: Stupid training module I'm doing at work is making my brain hurt.

But ok... Shhhhh... No more laughing!
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Alas, if only it were that easy! People tend to mouth off with very little prompting. If I was looking over your shoulder at your phone, you'd be as annoyed as the fabulous mariposa224 is! ...but, nooooo, I get to hear opinions on what I eat/do regardless of whether I bloody well ASKED (generally, I don't ask).

That said, one of the things I like to remind myself is that what other people think of me is none of my business. This is hardly a perfect solution for me, but it helps. Sometimes.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    People tell you to stop tracking once you meet your goal? Why? So you can gain it all back again? Ignore the idiots and just do your thing. It's what I do. I've been on maintenance for a year and a half and I still keep track. It's just a habit now, it's pretty easy, and it helps me make sure I'm getting proper nutrition and staying right where I need to be. :drinker:
    Right, that's why I do it as well. :smile:
  • JohnMessmer
    Options

I have read the original post, in fact twice now, and I do not see where you state that you are referring to real life interactions; in fact, I was going to comment that if you have friends that make unwanted comments you should just unfriend them as there are always new friends who will never say a thing to you and just let you do whatever (personally I try not to have those kinds of friends) with the 'ol "tomorrow is a new day" garbage; however, I saw in a later post where you clarified it was real life folks and not those online.

I don't let real life people bother me at all, in fact I announce that I am going out for a walk during lunch when they head off to Wendy's. When they ask me how my weight loss is going I simply say "It is going fantastically ever since I stopped going out to Fast Food for lunch every day", generally they say something like "that's great" and then they have a salad for a day or two, it is a great source of humor to me.
  • mariposa224
    Options

I have read the original post, in fact twice now, and I do not see where you state that you are referring to real life interactions; in fact, I was going to comment that if you have friends that make unwanted comments you should just unfriend them as there are always new friends who will never say a thing to you and just let you do whatever (personally I try not to have those kinds of friends) with the 'ol "tomorrow is a new day" garbage; however, I saw in a later post where you clarified it was real life folks and not those online.

I don't let real life people bother me at all, in fact I announce that I am going out for a walk during lunch when they head off to Wendy's. When they ask me how my weight loss is going I simply say "It is going fantastically ever since I stopped going out to Fast Food for lunch every day", generally they say something like "that's great" and then they have a salad for a day or two, it is a great source of humor to me.
    Sorry my original post was apparently unclear. I realize not everyone reads all the replies, but I did also state it on the first page when someone else thought that I was talking about MFP people (which it sounds like you may have seen). The first scenario has happened more than once with more than one person. Apparently they think I'm going to waste away or something. It's somewhat a back-handed compliment and is only mildly irritating... It just gets old. It has come from people who are casual acquaintances with at work, close friends and more casual friends. I don't really have a say about the people at work. They're going to be here and say what they like regardless. And yes, I can and do mostly ignore it. I was just saying that it's still annoying.

Good for you for letting them know how it is. lol

My 3rd scenario, it's a person I have known for many years and he's currently incarcerated, unfortunately. I write to him and we've talked about my weight loss and fitness. He's been into weights since long before he was in prison, but he's apparently one of the more uneducated lifters who know very little. As I mentioned, I tried to explain that it's nearly impossible for women to bulk up JUST by lifting heavy (there are many other factors that go into getting bulky for females) and even gave him examples. It was like talking to a wall. And it annoyed me. Thus my rant. :wink:

I know what works for me, I'm keeping at it... And I'm glad to see you are as well.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Its very simple. My misses does it, I'm learning to do it. Ignore them and walk away. If they wish to discuss it simply say I'm not willing to discuss any of my dietary needs or wants with you. You're input is not required. Feels rude at first, but works.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    The next time someone complains about your tracking, do this:

tumblr_llz63n76nU1qii6tmo1_400.gif

That's what I do at least :wink: People might think you're nuts, but they won't comment on it again.

Don't sweat the people telling you this nonsense. As long as you're healthy and happy with yourself, that's what matters the most. I also think having fitness goals beyond your goal weight/size is the mark of someone who really is going to stick with this for life and not just say, "oh, I lost my weight, I'm done now." Go forth and conquer!
    I couldn't see this one at work. But now I got a good LOL out of it. Thanks! :laugh:
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    GoGranny.gif

I just loved this rant !

Do what you need to do ....... ignore/delete people who are bugging you ...... they're probably just jealous anyway LOL

Hiya Mariposa224. First off CONGRATULATIONS on your achievement!
    I detect Envy, too. After your huge investment in achieving your health goals, why wouldn't you protect that by logging to maintain?! Maintaining and finishing anything in life is tough and logging inputs/outputs makes this so much easier and beats flying blind. In successfully maintaining you are doing something most folk don't know how to, hence the pitiful envy comments designed to plant seeds of sabotage and put you into an unhealthy yo-yo situation. This so they can make themselves feel less inadequate and guilty about their own poor health... 'cos your making them look bad! :laugh:

Also, some people just can't adapt to other people breaking out of the narrow pigeonhole they've allotted them... for the rest of their life so it seems! Give it plenty of time and lots interactions, and eventually the folk in real life will forget their old mental pictures and wrong opinions of you, and start remembering the awesome you that you are today. The comments are because THEY have the problems adjusting, not you. So you just shake that water off your feathers.

Speaking of feathers. Maybe you could try radically changing your hair/wardrobe style so folk can have something new to focus (pick) on.

Depending on the opportunities available to you and how badly it irritates you, you might swiftly fix your work situation by changing jobs and creating a completely new first impression of yourself with new work colleagues.

If staying put, then assuming that you have a group health insurance plan, your current work colleagues should be so happy (and more encouraging) that you are improving their group premiums by reducing their average risk, such as the chances of your suffering from obesity- related health problems like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. and through weight-training you are taking good care of your bones and core muscles which should fend off back injuries and a multitude of other health issues. Maybe they should think about that too?!

Home/Private-life that's a bit trickier to change, unless you want to transfer somewhere else for a year or two. I'd be tempted to :devil: make a reply like: "Thanks, :huh: but I wasn't on a diet. Dieting is for dummies. I've made a permanent lifestyle change and I do this to maintain good health. :bigsmile: How are things with you?"
    [Baffle and confuse then redirect them to thinking about themselves :laugh: ].

Anyways, take care of yourself and keep on keeping on. :flowerforyou:
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You completely read my post wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with people on this site. It has to do with people in real life...

delete them anyway :) when they ask you why you're poking them in the eye, tell them 'i'm looking for the ignore button'
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I nominate this post for the most sensible, reasonable rant, evar.

I second this.... :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I just flex my arm and they shut up.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Irritation 1: The people telling me I don't need to lose anymore. This one isn't as bad as the others, at least to me. I'm not TRYING to lose anymore, but I'm also not trying to GAIN either. So, unless you're my doctor, guess what? You probably aren't qualified and shouldn't be involved. I doubt you would want ME to tell YOU that you could stand to lose a few pounds or that some exercise would do you a world of good.

Irritation 2: The people who are bothered by the fact that I still basically track everything that goes in my mouth, with a few exceptions. (The exceptions being when I can't find anything in the database or online that's comparable to what I'm eating/have eaten. In those instances, I generally just figure I'm over for the day, and since I'm in maintenance, it's not a big deal.) They generally make it sound as though they feel I'm being obsessive. To each their own. Honestly, I continue to track so that I know how MUCH I've gone over when I go over, but I also track to ensure that I'm getting enough protein and fiber. It's not your business, honestly, and I'm not asking YOU to track what YOU eat, so why do you care if *I* track what *I* eat? It's not as if my tracking is affecting you.

Thank you! This is my big issue!
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    One word sums it up. Jealousy!