I want your secret

Options
1235»

Replies

• JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Got my thyroid and insulin levels checked, and straightened out. I lost 25lbs without even trying within 4 months of that. THEN I got pregnant with our first, and puked for 34 weeks....

But the last 15lbs happened from good old healthy living and regular exercise
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn, but don't eat so little that it ends up biting you in the butt later.
    Get people supporting you and rooting you on.
    Stay focused.
    Take diet breaks on occasion.
    Make weightlifting a priority.
    DON'T CUT OUT THE FOODS YOU LOVE!! (make them fit in your macros on occasion so you don't feel deprived)

AND have fun!!:flowerforyou:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've got no secrets... Eating less and moving more is still working for me (except on Saturday... That's bacon double cheeseburger day! The best part is that's not a joke.). I would say fill up on veggies and don't try to be perfect, just try to be better!
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    (I haven't read all the replies so I apologize if someone has already mentioned this.) I would recommend--if your body lets you and your baby cooperates--breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed!! Not only is it great for your baby, but it really helps you burn extra calories.

That said, try not to cut too many calories in the first month or so. It will affect your milk supply. And you want that milk supply because, if you can keep breastfeeding exclusively for many months, that weight will come off faster than just dieting and exercise alone. It's magical.
  • 0katieface0
    Options
    - Eating slowly
    - Trying to cut out the "little" unnecessary calories. Packets of sugar in your coffee. The little candy you take of a coworkers desk. Etc.
    - No soda. If you have to eat out, learn how to find the healthiest things in every restaurant.
    - Work out every chance that you are able (but within reason...once per day), because there could easily be days when you are too busy.
    - Challenge yourself in your workouts. If you aren't sweaty, it's probably not doing anything.

I went from 140 lbs to 130 lbs in about a year with these tricks.
  • MrsAnderson_GettingHealthy
    Options
    I plan on consulting my midwife as soon as my daughter is born about the calorie intake that she believes that I should have in order to have a good milk supply and to lose weight at the same time. I am sure she will be happy to know that I am losing weight since she has commented multiple times about me being overweight.

I have really enjoyed reading all of the replies. I have great determination, I have a wonderful support system here at home, this website seems to be full of supporters/wonderful advice, I plan on eating healthy, I plan to exercise almost daily.

I know that for the first 6 weeks, I won't be able to work my butt off but, I can eat healthy and I can start a walking routine right away (when I feel good enough). I am excited to begin this adventure and I am very pleased to see so many people on this website that are there when you have questions or need help with anything.

It won't be hard for me to log daily because, I have the app, I have the computer and I have the willpower. Thanks again everyone!
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The only secrets you need:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit consistently
    2. Find an exercise routine you enjoy and do it consistently.
    3. Stay patient and continue to repeat steps 1 and 2.

^^^^^^^^ THIS & I've lost 106 lbs!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    1, Eat up to a calorie deficit, for me it's 1300 calories base plus exercise calories.
    2. Gym for 1 hour, dripping wet, at a minimum 5 days a week. Treadmill to 500 calories burned OR I go figure skating (my sport I love).
    3. don't eat kid's leftovers. throw them out.
    4 very rarely eat out, and plan ahead by looking at the restaurant's chart.
    5. good breakfast choices. (Bagel thins, 99% egg whites, Total cereal) AND a piece of WHOLE fruit.
    6. good lunch choices (salad w/ lean protein on it, MEASURE your salad dressing.
    7. Cookinglight.com for dinner choices.
    8. Have a "lose 10 pounds a month" goal. Which means that #1 and #2 are important in your mind for 30 days, and then repeats.
    9. severely limit bad drinks like sugary sodas, fruit juices, beers & wines. I allow myself about 4 ounces of wine a week.
    10. get involved in a project. I cleaned out my garage one day, and didn't snack.
    11. watch America's Funniest Home Videos or something entertaining - to take stress away. I'm a stress eater, and laughing is a great release.

and
    12. Log even when you have been very bad on your diet. Logging that you ate a pie or 2 bowls of ice cream makes it a reality to you and . . .. then MOVE ON to a new day of better eating.

and,
    if you are breast feeding that focus alot on plant based nutrition. Greens, fruits, legumes, whole grained rice . . . and you will be doing wonderful health benefits for you and your baby. Cows have great milk supply, and they eat grass.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been "successful" (I didn't have much to lose...I came here to track patterns) by not cutting ANYTHING out. My secrets::
    Moderation.
    Lifting heavy
    Tracking
    Not beating myself up if I have an off day
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I plan to lose 100 pounds and I love hearing people's success stories and hearing their "secrets" as to how they did it.

I am going to make a lifestyle change by eating healthy, counting the calories that go into my body, exercising and trying to cut out soda.

What did you do that made you so darn successful? What exercises/workouts/workout videos did you do? What diet did you have? What food kept you fuller the longest?

This is a chance for you to brag and explain to me how you did it... feel free to add pictures if you would like!

For me it wasnt about cutting out a food or starting an eercise program. it was my way of thinking. Instead of saying.. "Im going to try" i said.. "Today I WILL.." and i stuck with it. You CAN do this and im POSITIVE about that!! :heart:
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I agree. I changed my eating and that worked for awhile..it wasn't until I found the workout that was right for me that things really started to change. Everyone is different. A workout that I love you might dislike more than anything.
  • user549
    user549 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One simple exercise: turn your head to the right, to center, to the left, and back to center. Repeat when offered food. :)
    In all seriousness, things that have helped me:
    -Making an actual list of why I want to lose. I thought I knew, but when I sat down to write it all out, I found that I could write for several minutes easily. Seeing it all together really helped motivate me.
    -Think about short term vs. long term pleasures. We know that eating {food} will make us happy for a few minutes, and that not eating it will make us happy for years to come. Just try to remember that.
    -Make yourself come on here before you eat something you know you shouldn't. Look at success stories, tell yourself "I want to post mine on here in {timeframe}!". Don't say someday. Someday is a long way off.
    -As many have said, get back on the horse. Every day counts, but, at the same time one bad day (or several) won't ruin everything. When you were gaining, you probably had some healthy days, but you still gained, same is true for losing.

Remember that these are not secrets. There are no secrets. This is hard d*mn work. These are just things that have helped me keep working.
    (btw - I'm not done. I'm not a success story. I'm just a few months ahead of you on this journey, and hoping to help.)
  • 0katieface0
    Options
    I think also if you want to lose weight and keep it off, there are little tricks that will help, in addition to all the hard work required. For sure a trick for me has been make tiny changes in your diet every day, things that you might not notice but add up to large amounts of calorie reduction and fat reduction in the long term. Also I found when I tried to make all the changes at once it was way too hard. Much better to ease into it and then see the results gradually.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is the secret pretty much.

Also, why wait? Cut the soda out now. I quit cold turkey after years of 2 liter plus a day. You might as well start moving too. Walking is good for you and the baby, take a walk around the neighborhood every day, you won't regret it. Start eating healthy now, again this is good for you and the baby.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My secret is meal replacements:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!