is 600 to 800 NET cals per day too low?

Options

Replies

• Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options

how so? won't keep the weight off? how so? damage? how so?

Your body needs calories and nutrition, vitamins and minerals. You can't get enough nutrition on a very low calorie diet. It's why anorexic people, you know, their hair falls out and eventually they die.

^^^ wow...^^^ i'll bite my tongue ^^^. If anyone here was anorexic they probably wouldn't be logging in their soy milk and turkey sandwich on MFP.. How much body fat is on someone who is anorexic? Are you comparing people with 30 percent body fat with someone who is anorexic? ok..

There are people who have posted on this thread that say they are eating a very low calorie diet.. Obviously they are alive, and just fine. Your body does need calories and nutrients.. why not let it use your exes body fat as fuel? No, let's just eat more.... SMH
  • Cptrob
    Options
    Yes, damage yourself with weight loss and fat loss.. such a bad outcome :(:(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

^^^ wow...^^^ i'll bite my tongue ^^^. If anyone here was anorexic they probably wouldn't be logging in their soy milk and turkey sandwich on MFP.. How much body fat is on someone who is anorexic? Are you comparing people with 30 percent body fat with someone who is anorexic? ok..

There are people who have posted on this thread that say they are eating a very low calorie diet.. Obviously they are alive, and just fine. Your body does need calories and nutrients.. why not let it use your exes body fat as fuel? No, let's just eat more.... SMH

NOBODY should eat less than 1200 unless under the direction of a physician. 30% body fat or not. Have you even read how this website works?

If you are 4'10 and your doctor says, yeah, eat 1,000 cals, great. If you are going to have gastric bypass and your doctor says eat 800, great. But for the average person here, 1,200 is the minimum. Get it?
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    You're fine I think
    I lost more weight using another site that was less technical than I have on this site
    I went back to MY way (calculating bmr X activity level - 500 cals = goal calories) and have started losing again.
    I don't do that eating back your exercise calories crap

Note: I eat more than 1200 cals a day. Do I net 1200? No
    Me too. I think yesterday my net was 713. Big whoop.

Read what the other posters have been saying. You can do damage to your body and you won't keep the weight off by creating too big of a defecit. It isn't big whoop.

Agreed.... I don't get why people worry about net (your calories eaten minus burned calories)
    BECAUSE WITH WEIGHT LOSS YOU HAVE TO BURN MORE THAN YOU EAT DURING THE DAY.

I'm no expert but this topic is thrown around so much and it always confuses me.... that's why I just found out my TDEE and I create my own deficit and not pay so much attention to net calories... I've seen people on here log the most ridiculous exercises like sitting on a mower mowing.... it all depends on what they consider "exercise", their net would be lower than someone not logging that in to activity...

MFP, when it gives you a caloric goal, has already factored in your BMR and potential daily activity calorie burn. So you're already eating less than your body needs (BMR) by eating the goal set by MFP. Eating less can be beneficial for "extreme weight loss," but long term, it may not be a good idea, I wouldn't think. Then you begin depriving your body and your body can begin breakding down the good stuff, ie muscle, rather than fat. Just a thought

Understood - it gave me a calorie goal. But the net and exercise calories left me confused so..
    I changed my stats; entered in sedentary and that I wanted to MAINTAIN my weight.
    Now, I log all my exercises in and the calorie goal gets higher....then I leave 500-1,000 calories remaining. That's my deficit.
    (MFP didn't calculate the deficit because I told them I'm maintaining )

My net still ends up at 800-1,000 some days... I just don't know if that should be important when I know my TDEE and eat around my BMR or higher?
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    FEMALE FORMULA: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in lbs ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age)

ME
    BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x 152 ) + ( 4.7 x 65 ) - ( 4.7 x 26 )

655 + 661.20 + 305.5 - 122.20

BMR = 1224.50

•If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725

1224.50 X 1.725 = 2112.27 (maintenance goals)

2112.27 - 500 = 1612.27 <~~~~ cals to eat if I want to lose

Mine are set at 1500

I don't eat back my exercise calories
    Tell me again how I'm damaging my body?
    Basic Math
  • Cptrob
    Options

NOBODY should eat less than 1200 unless under the direction of a physician. 30% body fat or not. Have you even read how this website works?

If you are 4'10 and your doctor says, yeah, eat 1,000 cals, great. If you are going to have gastric bypass and your doctor says eat 800, great. But for the average person here, 1,200 is the minimum. Get it?

I'll put up the white flag.. I give up.... you win... i really hope you don't post this gospel in too many threads lol.
  • Cptrob
    Options

BMR = 1224.50

•If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725

Mine are set at 1500

Basic Math

What's math and logic? My second cousin said not to eat less than 1200 calories, therefor that is FACT...

Silly math and logic in your fantastic post!!!!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    FEMALE FORMULA: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in lbs ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age)

ME

BMR = 1224.50

Mine are set at 1500

Basic Math

You wouldn't eat back exercise calories because your exercise was added up with your TDEE....

Makes sense. You're doing fine..

I don't get why anyone should eat back exercise calories UNLESS they entered in sedentary on MFP.

Blah. Too many different ways.... different advice..... I say screw counting the net/exercise calories and just find the total daily burn and go from there...
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    :explode:
  • Cptrob
    Options
    im hungry now.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options

Your body needs calories and nutrition, vitamins and minerals. You can't get enough nutrition on a very low calorie diet. It's why anorexic people, you know, their hair falls out and eventually they die.

There are people that post on here to track there calories and are anorexic. I am not one of them but I know a few. This mfp is actually a huge hit on sites pro ana sites. just to let you know.
  • Cptrob
    Options
    My apologies...

Just saying that eating less does not make you anorexic like the cat avatar lady said.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This thread...

When+I+see+dumb+people+on+Facebook.+happens+all+the_784c23_3463928.jpg
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    My apologies...

Just saying that eating less does not make you anorexic like the cat avatar lady said.

Agreed. The cat lady was wrong.

lol
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    No need to apologize, I was not offended. Just saying. counting calories and keeping track is very important to anorectic's so it is not far fetched to think they would be on sites like this. =)
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options

BMR = 1224.50

Mine are set at 1500

Basic Math

What's math and logic? My second cousin said not to eat less than 1200 calories, therefor that is FACT...

Seriously, you need to read how weight loss works. If you eat below your BMR your body is going to react to the extreme deficit -
    If the body does not get enough energy from calories in, it will seek ways to slow itself down.
    Leptin levels drop, cortisol levels rise.
    Anabolism stops and catabolism begins.
    The body switches gears hormonally and tries to maintain fat, a non active tissue that stores energy, by burning lean mass, an active tissue that uses calories.
    So in essence fat mass starts to stay the same while lean mass drops.
    Someone on a 600-800 net is going to force their body to slow down its metabolism, screw up your hormones and lose lean mass, which is NOT the desired effect. Your body has to have fat to function normally. If you maintain a severe deficit for long enough, your body will try to conserve those fat stores - even if you have way too much body fat to begin with - this is why starvation diets don't work.

Seriously, read this - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Cptrob
    Options
    ... ...
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Anyway, why can't we just live and let live? As long as someone isn't starving themselves, which is generally defined as eating less than 1,200 cals / day (for women anyway) why can't we just do what works for us personally?

Except the OP is talking about netting 600 - 800. Not even close to 1200.

And "what works" for you personally, could potentially be doing damage that you cannot see to your organs. That is why people are so adamant on this issue.

^^^ This.

Also I like having lean body mass aka muscle. Do you think you'll support lean body mass and get that shapely look you may want? Or go skinny fat because you catabolize muscle? And then because you have less LBM lower your BMR and so require less calories and find if you eat badily you pile weight on easier because you need less calories?

I know I'd rather have more LBM and be able to eat more calories myself. I know I keep posting this pic but this is my misses:

abzilla.jpg

and at around 5' 1-2" she is on 1600 calories a day. WHY eat less and look worse at the end of it and put on fat more readily? It doesn't make sense?

Question -- she eats 1,600 calories per day NET?? Or what? Is she maintaining her weight now? Because we would want to eat less than she does because some people want to lose weight not maintain... I don't know. I'm just curious.

1600 calories (plus pre/intra workouot products, adding perhaps 50 cals) and then about 300 a day from exercise subtracted. Thats what she has to lose weight, slowly in a controlled manner.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

BMR = 1224.50

Mine are set at 1500

Basic Math

Seriously, you need to read how weight loss works. If you eat below your BMR your body is going to react to the extreme deficit -
    If her BMR is 1224.5 and she eats 1500, how exactly is she eating below her BMR? Fact: 1500 > 1225

Yea, I've already figured in my activity.....
    If I went by the MFP guided cals, there would be days I'd be eating OVER maintenance calories...
    How can I acurately plan out my day on that?

And I use the Harris Benedict Formula - "a method used to estimate an individual's basal metabolic rate (BMR) and daily calorie requirements. The estimated BMR value is multiplied by a number that corresponds to the individuals's activity level. The resulting number is the recommended daily calorie intake to maintain current body weight. The equation assumes a normal body composition, with an average ratio of muscle mass to fat mass, so it may be inaccurate for individuals who are very muscular (the formula underestimates true requirements) or for individuals who are very fat (the equation overestimates true requirements).

The Harris-Benedict equation may be used to assist weight loss — by reducing the calorie intake to a number below the estimated maintenance intake of the equation."

I only subtract 500 cals because 500 X 7 = 3500 cals = estimated 1lbs loss

What's unhealthy about this?
    See before you had computers thinking for you, there was this thing called basic MATH
    You actually had to figure things out on your own

And I'll adjust according to pounds lost
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

If her BMR is 1224.5 and she eats 1500, how exactly is she eating below her BMR? Fact: 1500 > 1225

The OP's BMR is 1600. And she is Netting 600-800. HELLO?