is 600 to 800 NET cals per day too low?

Options

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Seriously, you need to read how weight loss works. If you eat below your BMR your body is going to react to the extreme deficit -
    If her BMR is 1224.5 and she eats 1500, how exactly is she eating below her BMR? Fact: 1500 > 1225

The OP's BMR is 1600. And she is Netting 600-800. HELLO?

At her age, height and weight, she would still easily lose a pound a week with moderate (3-5 days a week) exercise eating 2,000 calories a day (I'm not talkin net - forget net)

She's eating around 1300 calories a day she said so yes the OP should increase her calories
    Even if she ate (once again FORGET NET) 1600/day (2lbs loss a week) would be better than 1300
    So you need 300 extra cals a day OP

Add a decent protein shake for after workouts - done
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    errrrr ......Add a decent protein shake for after workouts - done
    how do you think we managed before these were invented.
    im not even gonna trawl through the stupid answers, we all do things the way that suits us, we hear so much crap about netting or BMR ETC , my view is we eat what we need, if we eat more we dont loose we can even gain, everyone has a different need depending on what your body needs to use. PLUS JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOES THINGS DIFFERENT WHO ARE WE TO SHOUT THEM DOWN.
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cat lady sAid never go under this magical 1200 calorie number.must be accurate data
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yup. Too low.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My doctor said absolutely no lower than 1200 net calories for me, and I'm 5'4" and weigh 141#.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others your aren't eating enough, try adding some snack throughout the day likes nuts and yogurt and fruit or raw veggies
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    OK I have to defend the OP. For some people (like me) it's very difficult to lose weight unless you eat about 1,200 calories per day. This is the minimum amount of calories for a healthy weight loss, and the National Institute of Health backs this up. If you're netting a little below 1,200 because of exercise that's OK in my book. Now, 600 does seem really low, and I only do moderate circuit training for about 20 minutes a day, so I usually NET at least 1,000.

For those of you with significant weight to lose, it makes sense to eat more than 1,200, but if you're on your last 10 or so pounds, good luck losing on more than 1,200!! :wink:

I am in my last 10 pounds - and was plateaued at 1200 calories for 4 months. Upped it to 1750 and right back on the loss train again - 2 pounds a month since the change. I can only say what worked for me...
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was replying to Cptrob, who has repeatedly told the OP that 600-800 net is fine. He's repeatedly said that going under BMR will just burn more fat. The post I replied to had another quote within it, I was not addressing that at all since 1500 net is just fine.
  • Cptrob
    Options
    im still waiting for anyone to actually post some scientific data....
  • christy7981
    christy7981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Please see an actual Certified Nutritionist/Dietician like I did. My Certified Nutritionist/Dietician told me to up my calories from 1200 to 1500 but she said not to worry about net calories (post work out calories) I burn around 900 calories a day working out so normally I net around 600. I am always full because I eat very healthy.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, assuming the diet is properly balanced (and I probably would take a vitamin supplement), the major issue is not one of health, but sustainability. It's very difficult for most people to eat that little for an extended period of time without great discipline.

I'm also assuming that you have weight to lose, that you are not already a thin person who is anorectic.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Scientific data for what, to not eat too little?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Alright, here goes. Also it's not a "magical number" of 1,200 calories. It's estimated that the AVERAGE woman needs 1,200 calories and the average man needs 1,800 calories to keep from going catabolic. This means using muscle and other organ function for fuel. Not only is this dangerous and can cause numerous health problems, but it will generally cause a higher percentage of unneccesary muscle loss. This means that your body now takes less and less calories throughout the day to sustain. Hence my original comment on this thread.

It takes about 500 calories a day (The brain consumes 20 to 25 percent of our calories when we're at rest) just for BRAIN function. The rest of your Basal Metabolic Rate is how many calories it takes just to maintain full organ function/breathing/pumping blood, etc. This should be your starting point. Your caloric deficit should be off of your activity level, NOT cutting lower than your BMR.

To manufacture the natural chemicals and neurotransmitters to provide a balanced body and mind, the brain needs the right kinds and amounts of raw materials. Without these building blocks one or more of the neurotransmitter chemicals become deficient. The body cannot make many of the nutritional requirements the brain needs to function.How well we nourish our brain can affect our mood, energy level, memory and cognitive function. You cannot live off of "burning fat" as your organs needs nutrients that they cannot create with your "stored fat".

Does this mean that 1,200 calories is to much for some people? Sure. If they are under 5 foot and have no muscle mass. But it's a good general starting point.

It's been said that losing up to %1 of your body weight for people in the "obese" category is fine due to excessive adipose fat. So... if you are 200 pounds it's safe to lose 2 pounds per week with your deficit.

The problem with Netting such low calories is that you are denying your body both the nutrients and energy it needs to perform all of its functions correctly. You are ALREADY eating at a caloric deficit by being at 1,200 calories (in her case like a 700 calorie deficit) and then you are THEN working out and making it even larger. This is not healthy or advisable because what was an acceptable deficit you've just made HUGE therefore denying your body what it needs.

If we are just going to argue here then whatever. Be unhealthy, make poor decisions, and deny your body what it needs. See how that works out for you in the long run. :drinker:
  • christy7981
    christy7981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. Please go see a nutritionist who can advise you properly. I love this site and app but the message boards have a lot of want to be certified nutritionist/doctors. My nutritionist told me that net does not matter. The calories you consume matter.
  • Cptrob
    Options
    good post above ^^^^..

but there is still a good chunk of bad information there.. But do what you want...

and Cat lady, data that backs anything you are saying.. not a difficult concept.

Don't maximize use your fat storage as energy, good play.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    When you severely restrict calories, it puts stress on your body, releasing cortisol.

Cortisol is released in response to stress, sparing available glucose for the brain, generating new energy from stored reserves, and diverting energy away from low-priority activities (such as the immune system) in order to survive immediate threats or prepare for the exertion of rising to a new day. However, prolonged cortisol secretion (which may be due to chronic stress or the excessive secretion seen in Cushing's syndrome) results in significant physiological changes.

Low calorie dieting increases cortisol: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20368473

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    To test the hypothesis that dieting, or the restriction of caloric intake, is ineffective because it increases chronic psychological stress and cortisol production--two factors that are known to cause weight gain; and to examine the respective roles of the two main behaviors that comprise dieting--monitoring one's caloric intake and restricting one's caloric intake--on psychological and biological stress indicators.

RESULTS:
    Restricting calories increased the total output of cortisol, and monitoring calories increased perceived stress.

Leptin & Ghrelin: These are the hormones that regulate hunger. Ghrelin is the hormone that tells you that you are hungry. Leptin is the hormone that says you have had enough.

The effect of low calorie diet is that Ghrelin is increased and Leptin is decreased. Exactly the opposite of what you would want to happen if you are trying to eat less.
  • Cptrob
    Options
    thanks for the info... i didn't get a chance to go thru it, but i will read it a little later.. I enjoy reading these..

Thanks again for getting some info.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    In addition, your body needs vitamins and minerals for proper function. People on low calorie diets typically do not get enough.

Potassium deficiency results in weakness, erratic heart rhythm, and death. Low blood sodium can result in confusion, seizures, erratic heart rhythm. Calcium deficiency results in thinning of the bones. Magnesium deficiency results in heart-rhythm problems. Lack of iron causes anemia. Vitamin deficiencies cause hair loss, inflammations, susceptibility to infection, muscle pain, confusion, and hosts of other problems.

There is plenty of info out there, on this forum and elsewhere about the dangers of low calorie diets. Everyone should educate themselves on it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Of what?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you consistently have been netting 600 to 800 calories, and have missed your period, then that's an obvious sign your energy availability is too low which is causing the disruption.

Luteinizing Hormone Pulsatility Is Disrupted at a Threshold of Energy Availability in Regularly Menstruating Women
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full