PALEO (Cavemen) Eaters...

Options
123457»

Replies

• strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

The point is not that we evolved from Eskimos. The point is Eskimos eat the way they do and are completely healthy while doing it. How is this possible when eating large amounts of meat is allegedly not consistent with evolution?

So... I guess, thanks for having me waste my time reading a report that has precisely nothing to do with my previous post.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Best to just take the best bits from things like Paleo and Plant Based, in my opinion.
    Just eat a balanced diet, find what works for you and make sure it is something you can stick to.
    I eat a little meat each week, but not too much, fish 2x, beans, some dairy(greek yoghurt or cottage cheese daily, little milk), some fruit, some potatoes, small amount of grain occasionally(usually rice) and lot of vegetables. I try to limit processed foods as much as possible, making 80-85% of my diet wholefoods.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

The point is not that we evolved from Eskimos. The point is Eskimos eat the way they do and are completely healthy while doing it. How is this possible when eating large amounts of meat is allegedly not consistent with evolution?

So... I guess, thanks for having me waste my time reading a report that has precisely nothing to do with my previous post.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division
  • lisatwin1b
    lisatwin1b Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't researched the Paleo diet, but I do know that our bodies haven't evolved much since the early ages of man (which can be taken to mean the cavemen or shortly after being divined by God.) I have been able to rationalize a lot of things by thinking back to how and why our bodies were made:

1. Men and women used to get up early, spend all day pursuing food, housing, and clothing and go to bed at sunset; thus the human body is made to be in motion; not sedentary.
    2. Men and women spent a large portion of their day gathering, cultivating, and seeking food. And a lot of time minimally preparing (grinding it with stone tools); the human body is not designed to eat foods that have been massed produced, heavily processed and has lots of additives.
    3. People drank water and teas, except when the water was made undrinkable by mankind itself, then they drank beer; water is best for the body, anything else should be drunken only when all other options are exhausted.

If the paleo diet is based on these philosophies, then it sounds like a healthy diet free of processed foods and artificial beverages.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    DO IT!!! DO IT!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I haven't researched the Paleo diet, but I do know that our bodies haven't evolved much since the early ages of man (which can be taken to mean the cavemen or shortly after being divined by God.) I have been able to rationalize a lot of things by thinking back to how and why our bodies were made:

Was paleolithic the early ages of man or is that an arbitrary line in the sand, which part of the period since it spans well over two million years? Our bodies have evolved or adapted significantly even since 'out of Africa' which is not the early ages of man - hair texture (afro, straight), hair colour, skin colour (very dark to very light), nose shape are all very visible adaptations to our environment. If you want something more directly relevant to diet then my North European gut can digest lactose right through adulthood, which is not a universal human trait.

We've also clearly adapted to eating completely different food animals - how many domestic cows, chickens and pigs populated paleolithic Africa? - you can say protein is protein and you would be correct, by the same token carbs are carbs, regardless if they are from fruit, vegetables, grains or legumes. There are different units of building blocks in both - different sugars and different amino acids. There's increasing evidence that large amounts of fructose (fruit sugar) has unhealthy effects, despite being a modest but significant part of our diet forever.

We were consuming grains long before we began farming them, otherwise why bother farming as crops? Just not in vast quantities, not refined to nothing but starch with added sugar and oils, but rather modest servings in combination with other foods we hunted and gathered. Just the same as the difference between consuming fructose within fruit and consuming high fructose corn syrup. Assuming we are not reverting to an all raw diet (evidence for control of fire long predates 'Out of Africa' and is not limited to Homo sapiens) it's quite likely we were eating well stewed food animals - that would extract calcium from the bones in place of today's dairy. But we didn't add gathered seeds or grains or legumes to the pot a la today's broth mix (lentils, split peas, oats), really?

The reality is the choice is not simply between a mass produced, heavily processed, additive loaded diet and Paleo, no medical expert advocates the former. There are numerous shades of grey in between, plenty of people eating a wholefood diet without 'aping' cavemen. It's not even a very successful 'ape' since many paleo followers seem to want a sanitised Americanised version, they don't actually want to eat ALL edible parts of the food animal including all the organs, bone marrow and a high percentage of oily fish and molluscs, they want to eat processed meats like bacon and skinless chicken breast and certainly don't want to stick to only produce of African origin.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo for 2 years exactly tomorrow ( Australia Day) and I've never felt better!
    I'd say do it, but do it properly to really get the results.