How does your intelligence compare with your SO's?

Options

Replies

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Basically, we're two sides to one coin.

Ditto for me and my boyfriend - we actually scored as complete opposites on our Myers-Briggs tests. :) I think we're of equal intelligence, we have similar education backgrounds although he has two bachelors degrees to my one... but I'm going to one-up him with a PhD. :) But like many others have said, we both have different strengths... he's better at thinking on his feet, finding solutions to things, and thinking big-picture. I think more slowly but remember things longer, and I'm better at writing and the nitty gritty details.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    About the same overall, but we each have our strengths and weaknesses. I couldn't marry a dumb chick, I'd hang myself. Or her.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I test slightly higher on IQ, but he's more well-read than I am. Holy hell, does that boy read! There's not a day that goes by where he isn't engrossed in the news, a book, magazines...though we're both librarians, so it's to be expected. He remembers facts and figures and can spit them out on cue, whereas I'm better at figuring out how things work and fixing them. We both have our strengths and weaknesses and compliment each other. :smile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    We both dumb as hell.

This made me laugh like hell. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We’re pretty equally matched. We were both identified “gifted” as young children, went through all those tests and programs in school and such, etc.

He’s more into physics and possibilities, more of a dreamer though he’s currently studying economics. And math. And we’re old (late 30’s); he’s doing it cause he enjoys it.

We're both pretty nerdy without really being nerds.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    my wife and I are both smart. I've never broken it down to who is smarter in which areas, so I don't know who is smarter overall. We both have our areas of expertise. I like talking to her.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I both have very high IQs and both have very logical, and mathematical minds, so we are very compatible in that sense. I have a few IQ points on him, but he is more educated than I am. He excels greatly in a few areas, whereas I am more well rounded. We balance each other out and compliment each other. It has been working great for 15 years now.

However, our combined genes did produce an Asperger son with a genius IQ off the charts, and lots of social and emotional issues that go with that. Early childhood was quite the challenge, but he is getting better every year, and we have become experts on raising an Aspie!

I personally feel that comparable IQ levels is very important for successful relationships. But I have seen others that aren't and they still manage to work well.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was honor roll and he was shop and building trades. Nuff said.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My SO was smarter academically, but socially clueless. I'm ok academically, but much more socially adept and good at reading people.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Haha. Love this!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    He is so mechanical.. I could never come close to how smart he is with machines and pipes and engines.

I have more book smarts Then my hubby just because I love to read and learn things in print.

My kiddo has natural street smarts. She could move about in the world without any thought very young. I guess it comes from having a sight impaired Mother. She would always know how to find the subway and which one to get on. Before she could even read well.

Being with them I have gotten a real respect as to how we are each a perfect piece to the puzzle and together we make one smart cookie.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Shop and building trades doesn't mean someone is stupid. They're often very smart people. Maybe your fella was dumb, but that's quite a generalization.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm more academic, he's more practical.....we fit together just nicely.....

^^^This!!
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    We are fairly equal. Our debate skills on the other hand...

Well let's just say that I don't win an argument.

Ever.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Where one lacks, the other makes up. He has his strengths as do I. But looking back at how we scored on standardized tests and school work... I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

This!
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    Oh My Word! He is waaaaaaaay smarter... In all areas. But he makes me think I'm a genius.... I think I'm an Amy Farafoller type (big band theory) and he is all around a Mr. Smarty pants. He's actually currently applying for his Ph.d in Neuroscience.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I can write a good paper and he does the math. Together we are Harvard material. Apart we barely make community college.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I can't see the forest through the trees; he can't see the trees for the forest. I'm good with tedious, steady, detailed paperwork; he thrives in challenging, high-stress, hands-on environments. I'm a paper-pusher with a B.A. in English Lit, he's an ex-Army medic training for nursing. We find that our strengths and weaknesses blend quite nicely into each other.

In short, our intelligences are mutally beneficial. :heart: Love that man. :smooched:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....I feel like this is a really touchy subject.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband scores slightly higher on the standardized IQ test but he has little practical sense. He spent 8 yrs in college and never graduated, just hopped from major to major, ended up working as a postal carrier when his parents got tired of paying for his college. He can't seem to stay on top of the bills either despite having a fairly decent household income. Me, I had to work harder in school, but I know how to exercise some common sense. That may come from not having everything handed to me though- no parents to pay my way or bail me out when I screw up.