Sabotage!!

Options

Replies

• Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've looked up some calorie counts for goodies, and do my best to work with it. Takes a little extra effort, but it's worth it on the days when I truly need a small treat. What you could do, if you want to put in the effort, is figure out what would be a decent snack size serving of the goodie, cut up the cake and put it into little plastic bags, and know you can have that as part of your food plan. I will sometimes have two Hershey's kisses, one or two fun size candy bars (not the full size), or a snack-sized baggie filled with a treat such as toasted edamame or wasabi peas. There's no reason to NOT have sweets/treats, as long as you know what you're eating.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, take control of the situation. As hard as it is, if you make a habit of logging your food and become conscious of what/how you eat, it will be easier to incorporate goodies into your food plan without it torpedoing your weight loss goals.That way, NO ONE can sabotage you. MFS's food database is excellent, and will enable you to keep track of what and how you eat.

Another suggestion: One of my friends worked with a nutritionist, who had her log her food for two MONTHS before making adjustments in her food plan. Do that, so that you get into the habit of logging and become conscious of what and how you eat. That will help you a LOT.

Finally, it's no one's business if you're changing your food plan. Telling no one helps with the attempts to sabotage. What they don't know, they can't sabotage!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Let it sit around until it gets moldy then make sure she sees it. :laugh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Oh my God,
    it's a mirage,
    I'm tellin' ya'll...

(ETA: Sorry, OP, I don't have anything productive to add...it's just that when I see that thread title, I think of this.)

:laugh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm responsible for my own eating habits.... My husband can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound. He'll sit next to me on the couch and eat an entire bag of chips, a whole box of cereal, 5 nutter butters, or whatever else is laying around. But I've still managed to lose 25 pounds. No one is forcing you to eat anything.
  • skvenus
    Options
    Wow.
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's frustrating to say the least when you have family that don't understand! Luckily for me I have an awesome support group with my hubby & my family but my husbands family is a different story! We went to visit them & she just kept bringing out the sweets trying to get me to eat them but I stood my ground & didn't! You can simply tell her please don't bring these things in my house & if she continues to do donate them to a food drive or toss them out. IF she gets upset & says you're being rude then let her know bluntly that she's the one being rude in the first place because she knows how hard you are working. :)
  • skvenus
    Options
    @ShreddedTweet:
    Wow, thank you so much for the judgement. AS for elderly, I meant shes not in her 20s. She celebrated her 45th recently. She has managed to give her husband and one of her kids high cholesterol and sugar. She has plenty of people always around to feed and give obesity to.
    Not so much the sweet elderly lady you're imagining but an in control rich woman who will not stop over feeding people.
  • buchbrun64
    Options
    To be successful, you need to figure out how to do this for yourself, despite any noise around you.

I recommend being direct with this family member. Say "I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but please don't send cookies/cakes/whatever to my house right now. I'm going to throw them away, so it's really a waste."

I think this is great! It is to the point. I am trying to change to a healthy lifestyle for myself and my children. I want them to make healthy choices. M
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    @ShreddedTweet:
    Wow, thank you so much for the judgement. AS for elderly, I meant shes not in her 20s. She celebrated her 45th recently. She has managed to give her husband and one of her kids high cholesterol and sugar. She has plenty of people always around to feed and give obesity to.
    Not so much the sweet elderly lady you're imagining but an in control rich woman who will not stop over feeding people.

45 isn't elderly unless you're 6. You're in control of what you eat. She's not shoveling food into anyone. People will always find excuses for their lack of self control.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    45 isn't elderly unless you're 6. You're in control of what you eat. She's not shoveling food into anyone. People will always find excuses for their lack of self control.

exactly.
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    @ShreddedTweet:

Exactly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    @ShreddedTweet:

Check my profile page and check my pics - now come and tell me 45 is elderly. How incredibly ignorant.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love how you are blaming your lack of self control on others.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Oh my God,
    it's a mirage,
    I'm tellin' ya'll...

(ETA: Sorry, OP, I don't have anything productive to add...it's just that when I see that thread title, I think of this.)

35fj0a.jpg
  • skvenus
    Options
    She does shovel food onto the plate, not ask if you want more but just put it on there. When she's heaping deep fried cheesy goodness on your plate over and over again and I should just keep quiet and eat it because she would feel upset if I say"No thank you". Which I have tried and she got so upset because I said "No" to a second helping. Oh right then, either eat all the oily cheesy stuff and make her feel all happy or say no and watch her tell everyone how I'm being rude & upset her by saying No? I do keep myself accountable for what I eat. How do I do it when I cannot say "No" because she will feel bad, make a big production of how I turned down her food and hence I am such a bad person for saying "No thank you" to a second helping from an elderly person? She told me that I was the bad person for refusing food from an elderly person like herself. Her exact words, not mine. I didn't call her old, she said it and called me rude for refusing a second helping.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    @ShreddedTweet:

Check my profile page and check my pics - now come and tell me 45 is elderly. How incredibly ignorant.

what was that you said, missy?!?!?!
    cant hear so well now that I am 41
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    She does shovel food onto the plate, not ask if you want more but just put it on there. When she's heaping deep fried cheesy goodness on your plate over and over again and I should just keep quiet and eat it because she would feel upset if I say"No thank you". Which I have tried and she got so upset because I said "No" to a second helping. Oh right then, either eat all the oily cheesy stuff and make her feel all happy or say no and watch her tell everyone how I'm being rude & upset her by saying No? I do keep myself accountable for what I eat. How do I do it when I cannot say "No" because she will feel bad, make a big production of how I turned down her food and hence I am such a bad person for saying "No thank you" to a second helping from an elderly person?-Her words , not mine.

STOP SAYING ELDERLY!!!

HA HA HA 45 is NOT elderly is ANYONES mind but yours
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    She does shovel food onto the plate, not ask if you want more but just put it on there. When she's heaping deep fried cheesy goodness on your plate over and over again and I should just keep quiet and eat it because she would feel upset if I say"No thank you". Which I have tried and she got so upset because I said "No" to a second helping. Oh right then, either eat all the oily cheesy stuff and make her feel all happy or say no and watch her tell everyone how I'm being rude & upset her by saying No? I do keep myself accountable for what I eat. How do I do it when I cannot say "No" because she will feel bad, make a big production of how I turned down her food and hence I am such a bad person for saying "No thank you" to a second helping from an elderly person?-Her words , not mine.

You're an adult. It's bizarre how little responsibility you're taking and honestly I'm past the point of concern. Stop blaming this not-at-all-elderly woman,I feel sorry for her actually for being related to such an ungrateful bunch. Your excuses, your issue, your problem.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Uhm.....why not just eat what you'd like to eat on your plate and then say no more? You don't have to finish a plate, no matter how heaping someone else piles it......
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    She does shovel food onto the plate, not ask if you want more but just put it on there. When she's heaping deep fried cheesy goodness on your plate over and over again and I should just keep quiet and eat it because she would feel upset if I say"No thank you". Which I have tried and she got so upset because I said "No" to a second helping. Oh right then, either eat all the oily cheesy stuff and make her feel all happy or say no and watch her tell everyone how I'm being rude & upset her by saying No? I do keep myself accountable for what I eat. How do I do it when I cannot say "No" because she will feel bad, make a big production of how I turned down her food and hence I am such a bad person for saying "No thank you" to a second helping from an elderly person? She told me that I was the bad person for refusing food from an elderly person like herself. Her exact words, not mine. I didn't call her old, she said it and called me rude for refusing a second helping.

Stop trying to back-peddle you said

"There is this certain elderly relative"

You made a stupid comment - own it! Just like you need to own your own actions when it comes to this old and decrepit relative.