To those doing very low cals (in the 600 to 1200 range)

Options

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just because someone has a PhD means nothing about what they're saying.
    I could have a PhD in nutrition and tell everyone that 3 glasses of wine a day is healthy and you can live off of it for extended periods of time do they have to believe me just because I wrote a thesis and went to school for longer which obviously must mean I know so much more.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    People seem to forget bodybuilders are human. We aren't born muscled and lean. We diet the way we describe, carefully and SLOWLY to get the results you see.

Shame it gets ignored - a good message has been given.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I could have a PhD in nutrition and tell everyone that 3 glasses of wine a day is healthy and you can live off of it for extended periods of time do they have to believe me just because I wrote a thesis and went to school for longer which obviously must mean I know so much more.

Yes correct.

But then the science is given to back it up. And he has applied it to people he coaches. He has also written many artciles.

Strange how many people reject this piece just because he's a bodybuilder and use the fact he's got PHD to ignore him.

What would make people listen?
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My RMR is 1,450. I need 1,700 a day to maintain. To lose one pound a week, I cut -500 calories from 1,700 which means 1,200 a day. I'm medium framed, 20 yrs old, and 5 feet 5 inches.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    iqnnas - do you barely move around?
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Yes correct.

But then the science is given to back it up. And he has applied it to people he coaches. He has also written many artciles.

Strange how many people reject this piece just because he's a bodybuilder and use the fact he's got PHD to ignore him.

As you said HE had written articles, HE coaches. Is there evidence from other studies done by other people?

And I'm using his PhD against him since the original poster said "It's just me asking people to watch a video by a professional with a lot of experience in training others, and has a phd. in nutritional science. "
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    ROFLMAO!

Ahem, well people, it does not take a rocket scientist to understand that 600 calories a day is not good for you.

Food is necessary. It provides us with vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, antioxidants as well as can assist with anti inflammatory properties. From food we also get plant chemicals like thiocyanates, indole-3-carbinol, lutein, zea-xanthin, sulforaphane and isothiocyanates. Along with dietary fiber, vitamins these compounds help to protect against breast, colon, and prostate cancers and help reduce LDL or "bad cholesterol" levels in the blood. So we also fight disease BY EATING.

Food makes us healthy and happy, but if all you are going for is being skinny, have at it. :frown:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Nothing unfortunately. You can't really reason with emotion.

Most people ultimately believe what they [/i]want[/i] to believe is true and use all sorts of convenient justifications to rationalise those ideas in the face of cognitive dissonance.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

great question

I have been here for awhile and for the most part, people only "hear" what they want to hear and these type sites are full of enablers. Tough love is usually interpreted as an attack or non supportive. Gentle guidance is not always effective either.

On the flip side, some people do eventually come around if they stick with it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Yes correct.

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'll listen when I see for myself that a 1,200 calorie diet is doing bad things to me. Thus far, I haven't seen any negative affects from it. It's kind of addictive though and I'm so used to it. I hope I can up it it when I reach my goal weight.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Yes correct.

As you said HE had written articles, HE coaches. Is there evidence from other studies done by other people?

And I'm using his PhD against him since the original poster said "It's just me asking people to watch a video by a professional with a lot of experience in training others, and has a phd. in nutritional science. "

Yes - all his articles refer to studies done by others.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Yes correct.

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'll listen when I see for myself that a 1,200 calorie diet is doing bad things to me. Thus far, I haven't seen any negative affects from it. It's kind of addictive though and I'm so used to it. I hope I can stop it when I reach my goal weight.

What would you revert your diet too with a lower body mass than if you'd had more calories reserving lean body mass?
  • Aviva92
    Options

Yes correct.

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'll listen when I see for myself that a 1,200 calorie diet is doing bad things to me. Thus far, I haven't seen any negative affects from it. It's kind of addictive though and I'm so used to it. I hope I can stop it when I reach my goal weight.

What would you revert your diet too with a lower body mass than if you'd had more calories reserving lean body mass?

I'm not sure that I'm following the question. Once I hit my goal weight which is only around another pound or so, I'll just attempt to up my calories to whatever number results in no more weight-loss.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Do you think 1200 calories will preserve your current muscle mass?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'll listen when I see for myself that a 1,200 calorie diet is doing bad things to me. Thus far, I haven't seen any negative affects from it. It's kind of addictive though and I'm so used to it. I hope I can up it it when I reach my goal weight.

I really truly hope it never happens and you reach your goal without ever entering a stage at which you cannot lose weight without further reduction in calories.
    But,

here's the problem I would have with this statement. You are essentially saying, until I break something I'm not going to see it as an issue. In other words you're being reactionary with your body instead of adjusting your habits and techniques to avoid an issue, you're waiting until an issue happens before you make a change. This is going to make it harder to change if something does happen, and lead to a higher possibility of failure in the long run.

I'm not saying you should change, I don't know your situation well enough to comment on that, I'm saying, it can be bad to automatically assume that what works now will always work.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

I really truly hope it never happens and you reach your goal without ever entering a stage at which you cannot lose weight without further reduction in calories.
    But,

here's the problem I would have with this statement. You are essentially saying, until I break something I'm not going to see it as an issue. In other words you're being reactionary with your body instead of adjusting your habits and techniques to avoid an issue, you're waiting until an issue happens before you make a change. This is going to make it harder to change if something does happen, and lead to a higher possibility of failure in the long run.

I'm not saying you should change, I don't know your situation well enough to comment on that, I'm saying, it can be bad to automatically assume that what works now will always work.

Agreed.

Its like saying my car has below the recommend amount of oil in it but because it hasn't broken down yet, its fine and I shouldn't worry.

:huh:
  • Aviva92
    Options

I didn't have much muscle mass to begin with. I hurt my back in the middle of dieting and therefore didn't work out other than cardio since June, so I probably did not preserve it. Not ideal, but I don't think that I irrevocably damaged myself by losing weight this way. Also, mfp actually recommends a 1200 calorie diet. I don't think they would recommend something that's going to be damaging.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

I didn't have much muscle mass to begin with. I hurt my back in the middle of dieting and therefore didn't work out other than cardio since June, so I probably did not preserve it. Not ideal, but I don't think that I irrevocably damaged myself by losing weight this way. Also, mfp actually recommends a 1200 calorie diet. I don't think they would recommend something that's going to be damaging.

So you want to get fat more easily, yes?

Its as simple as this. Put it this way, this is my other half Yo Lazarov:

abzilla.jpg

She DIETS on 1600 calories and for 2 days out of every 8 has around 2500 calories. Why would you want to eat less and have poorer results?

Just trying to help you. Its not an attack, its a genuine question to help you improve your dieting and get the results you may wish to achieve.
  • Aviva92
    Options

But,

I didn't enter a stage where I cannot lose weight without further reduction in calories. I went from 140 to 118 in 7.5 months and lost pretty steadily. Why would I adjust my eating habits just because some people on mfp tell me that it's wrong even though my body is doing fine with it and it's what mfp recommends in the first place?