• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    rfyV7.gif
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    To be fair to the restaurant..

50% off what the three of them spent on dinner was $900.

:devil:
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    what if it were three dudes and they were clearly gay...and it said....gaylords or flamers. or some mexicans and it said wetbacks...would it be OK then?

that is being a bigot.

calling a fat person fat is not the same as calling a mexican a wetback.

YES it is. Because it was meant to be derogatory. It was meant as an insult. I saw these females and YES they could stand to drop weight and make better health choices but Jeff doesn't need to take it upon himself to point it out.

FAT PEOPLE KNOW THEY ARE FAT! They do not need a band of lesser weight people pointing it out for them. While I realize there are overweight people that are truly satisfied with their physical appearance the vast majority are NOT. If they were the diet industry wouldn't exist. I agree with another poster who said that bullying fat people is one of the last acceptable forms of discrimination. EVERYONE on this site should realize how hard it is to make healthy choices sometimes. We all got here on our own time and eventually other people will too. Some people will not but that is life. Some people will not make good choices but it is NOT our job to ridicule them and make them feel like sub humans.

I do not think life is fair and I don't expect that everyone be handled with kid gloves but holy crap! If you can't say something nice don't say ****!

They feel insulted, yes, but bullied? Discrimination? I don't agree. Then again, my parents taught me the old "sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you". Unless you let them? They can be strong and look at the insult as an opportunity to change or they can be weak and over react. We create our own lives.

How the F can they feel insulted at the truth????????? as i said they are acting like they are blind and have never looked into a mirror

I agree we do make our own choices in life. Do I think is particular issue is discrimination, not at all.
    I also think we can agree that one of the largest parts of being healthy and getting in shape is personal responsibility determination. You can pick and pick at a person to change but it has to come from within the individual.

These girls were minding their own business and having a good time and didn't need their weight pointed out to them. It wasn't like they walked into a gym or doctors office and were looking for a health evaluation. They live with their weight daily and they didn't need one more person pointing it out for them.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

ue9os.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it was true or not. If it were a table of mentally retarded people, would it have been okay write "retards"on the bill? I don't think so. We all know our culture dictates what is acceptable and that guy knew exactly what he was doing and that it is not acceptable.

Nothing to add, except...

...you've been on MFP over FOUR YEARS...and just made your first MFP forum post.

:flowerforyou:

I just finally started using it after all this time and venturing into the boards. :)

Well, your life will never be the same again...

...(and that isn't necessarily in a good way, however. :wink: )

Welcome to the forums!

(Okay, we now return you to this sure-to-be-epic thread.)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    To be fair they were REALLY fat... Maybe this was a much needed reality check (reality cheque)..... No puns? Too soon?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it was true or not. If it were a table of mentally retarded people, would it have been okay write "retards"on the bill? I don't think so. We all know our culture dictates what is acceptable and that guy knew exactly what he was doing and that it is not acceptable.

Absolutely agree! People get on their high horse if you insult people if they're disabled, black, hispanic etc, so why is it ok to hurt the feelings of people who are overweight?

I'm hoping the guy who wrote it didn't realise the girls would see it written down, if he did then that really is awful.

I'm a teacher - do you think it would be professional if I referred to a class as 'thicko class' or 'clever class'? No, of course it wouldn't. So why is it acceptable to take the p*ss out of someone who is overweight?

I'm sure the girls realise they need to lose some weight, they don't need some rude waiter to point it out to them.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I find it a little interesting that they are more emotionally scarred by seeing the words on the receipt than they are about showing the world the receipt and talking about it...

if it had been me when I was fat....i would have slunk my fat *kitten* out of that restaurant, died a million little deaths of shame and never gone back....

of course I also lost the weight....

yeah, this. the waiter is an *kitten* for sure and should be fired, but they just look like attention *kitten* with crying to the media about it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Must not be a whole lot going on in Stockton these days . . .
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    What happened to respect and common decency? We live in a society!!
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Had it said "Fat Guys"...it wouldn't have made the news. Depending on the guys, Jeff may or may not have been able to return to work.

IF that had happened to me, I would have pointed it out to the manager, not because "OMG....he called me fat!!"..uh..I AM fat. It's kinda a "Thank you Captain Obvious" type moment. But the manager needs to know so they don't start losing clientele and getting bad press. If the food is good, and the atmosphere is what I like, then get rid of the bad staff.

For those who think it's scary to eat in public because you might be judged...well, you're going to be judged if your fat, thin, white, black, gay or straight. Just accept the fact that someone, somewhere, doesn't like you for whatever reason. Unless you're double fisting Big Macs at a stop light in your car on your way to the All You Can Eat Buffet at Golden Coral...don't worry about it. You're eating a meal...just like EVERYONE else who is in the restaurant at that time.

LOVE this!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

ue9os.gif

Calling an Internet penalty. Texas wrong horn OMG girl is to be used for smack against the university of Texas only...
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I would be pissed too but they did say it was a newer employee so maybe he thought it wouldn't print on the customer copy? But yeah, it was wrong. :(
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

Agreed! They are CUSTOMERS.

Despite what you think of them dont deserve to be called fat girls. I dont give a crap whether anyone thinks they needed a reality check. They were paying for a service. That server needs a THROAT PUNCH.

Some of you make me sick.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just watched the footage and the 'girls' are milking it for all they can, one has a trembling lip saying "We'll never get over this" purleeease, it's not like they've been physically attacked or something. Waaaay OTT.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Pirates, common decency no longer exist sadly :frown:

I can't tell you how many times I have been called "fat girl" and honestly, I will admit I am still very much fat. But I wouldn't want for someone to put it on a receipt because I am a paying patron. If this ever happened to me, I would say "thanks captain obvious, I want to speak to your manager" but i wouldn't want to go to tv with it. :noway:

Honestly though, I couldn't order 900 bucks in food. I have a hard time ordering 20 bucks in food at a restaurant.:flowerforyou:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Exactly, if you're so offended tell the owner/manager. Don't cry to the whole world that some silly waiter called it how he saw it!...I heard about this and I'm in Ireland, I mean for God's sake!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter that they're fat, and technically the descriptor 'fat girls' is accurate.

It's 100% completely inappropriate and unprofessional for an employee of ANY place of business to behave in this manner in the workplace. Additionally, restaurants are a customer service-based industry, and should be held to the very highest standard for treatment of their customers.

And for anyone who thinks this is funny, life is hard, get over it, etc -- isn't life already hard and ugly enough for many people? 'Hahaha - did you know you're fat!' - Why is that funny? Why not be kind and say something to lift a person up? Being caring takes the same energy as being cruel. And if you can't be kind, why not keep your ugly thoughts inside your head. That takes no energy at all.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

A society where everything must be carefully said so as not to upset someone. Sorry, weak people are coddled enough.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Pirates, common decency no longer exist sadly :frown:

I can't tell you how many times I have been called "fat girl" and honestly, I will admit I am still very much fat. But I wouldn't want for someone to put it on a receipt because I am a paying patron. If this ever happened to me, I would say "thanks captain obvious, I want to speak to your manager" but i wouldn't want to go to tv with it. :noway:

Honestly though, I couldn't order 900 bucks in food. I have a hard time ordering 20 bucks in food at a restaurant.:flowerforyou:

From the receipt it looks like the food total was $25.50, not $900.
This discussion has been closed.