How do you take your coffee?

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I have been addicted to coffee since I was young! I worked at a Bob Evans where I'd drink it regularly with creams and sugar, then I worked at a wawa drinking it just as bad! Lots of cream and sugar. Eventually though, I worked myself down to a splash of skim milk, and 2 packets of splenda (I might drop the splenda and just do sugar in the raw, just a slight amount for sweetness) I don't know if I will ever work my way to black coffee (which is not bad for you)... I like bitter/sweet... not full on bitter.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    It's just like Soda pop. You should not be drinking it at all. People only think they need it because they become addicted. I have been working graveyard for 6 years and i don't drink it. It has no nutritional value. Just don't drink it at all. Find something that is healthier. Example: Water.
    Soda's have nutritional value?
    Google it... coffee does have some benefits....

It is so ridiculous when people say this. Have you actually read the study's? Ha ha ha..........It says very little CAN be benificial. The evidence is often argued amongst those doing the reasearch and i seriosly don't think people drink the small amount that only some of the study's suggest to be benificial. Of course it's like any other food, drink it if it fits in your micros but just like soda there is no real helthy reason to drink it.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It's just like Soda pop. You should not be drinking it at all. People only think they need it because they become addicted. I have been working graveyard for 6 years and i don't drink it. It has no nutritional value. Just don't drink it at all. Find something that is healthier. Example: Water.

What are you basing your fear of coffee on?

Don't assume someone has a fear of something because they speak the truth about it. I am not one of those affraid of food people. Coffee is not bennificial. There are just as many study's out there saying it is terrible for you as there are claiming a "little" can be bennificial. Drinkink coffee is a norm in society so i understand that my stance will generate some distaste, however the truth is the truth. People drink coffee when they should not. It is not a part of a healthy diet and should not be in it just like any other unhealthy food choice. (All foods are fine if they fit in your Micro's but i am trying to point out that it should not be everyday and as often as people most commenly do.)

but why is coffee bad?

Coffee is fine... black... in moderation. The bad part of coffee is caffeine, and that's just bad if you are sensitive to caffeine, have a heart condition worsened by caffeine, or if you over do the caffeine. But why people, and when people, will say it's bad for you is based off what you ADD to the coffee.

Most people add creamers, which are loaded in hydrogenated oils which are terrible for you.
    A lot of people add sugar, and not just a small bit.
    More people drink it over creamed and sugared than others.

But plain, regular coffee is not BAD for you. It doesn't have a nutrtitional value... no, but it's not something that will harm you in the long run. That's like saying wine is bad for you. Sure, in large doses over a period of time, but in moderation, one glass a day is great for you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Don't assume someone has a fear of something because they speak the truth about it.
    I am not one of those affraid of food people. Coffee is not bennificial.

What does it being beneicial have to do with whether or not someone consumes it? Don't you think enjoyment is a good reason to consume something? I like coffee. If coffee doesn't do me any harm under the dose that I consume then shouldn't dietary adherence be a valid reason for me to consume coffee? What about the satiating effects? What about the beneficial effects of caffeine?

There are just as many study's out there saying it is terrible for you as there are claiming a "little" can be bennificial.

Can you provide any?

EDIT: Something not being beneficial does not mean you should avoid it. That's bordering orthorexic behavior in my opinion. "I like it and it doesn't hurt me" is perfectly valid as long as you're also getting in adequate nutrition through your non-coffee sources. If you believe that it's damaging under relatively normal doses (a few cups per day) then can you share why?
  • kbrichar
    Options
    Ouch!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The bad part of coffee is caffeine,

for me, that is the reason I drink it.

I also like the taste and smell of freshly ground coffee
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I like mine with about 2 tbs of sugar free creamer.. and extra, extra hot. Like painfully hot.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Served to me by Patricia Arquette on our honeymoon if possible.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options

Don't assume someone has a fear of something because they speak the truth about it. I am not one of those affraid of food people. Coffee is not bennificial. There are just as many study's out there saying it is terrible for you as there are claiming a "little" can be bennificial. Drinkink coffee is a norm in society so i understand that my stance will generate some distaste, however the truth is the truth. People drink coffee when they should not. It is not a part of a healthy diet and should not be in it just like any other unhealthy food choice. (All foods are fine if they fit in your Micro's but i am trying to point out that it should not be everyday and as often as people most commenly do.)

but why is coffee bad?

If regurly part of your food intake it is taking the place of foods that actually provide your body with positive nutrients. There are many stud's out there that tell you coffee is bad in many different ways. However there are just as many study's that claim it has positive benifits. Just like most science it depends on who is doing the study and what they want the results to be.

It does not take much thought to see that coffee is not neccesarry and not benificial.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    By the pot.
    Splenda and Cream (powdered, regular)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Served to me by Patricia Arquette on our honeymoon if possible.

movie "True Romance" was awesome
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Stevia and powdered nonfat milk, when I have it at home.
    Orrr if I feel like drinking my calories, a medium nonfat peppermint mocha from McDonalds.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    2 ways:

either light skim milk with 1 splenda

or

w/ chocolate mint soy milk and 1 splenda(like 1/4 of a serving)

sooooo good!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

If regurly part of your food intake it is taking the place of foods that actually provide your body with positive nutrients.

not true for me
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Black.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee like I like my women, ground up and in the freezer! :indifferent:

Just kidding... black! :drinker:
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

If regurly part of your food intake it is taking the place of foods that actually provide your body with positive nutrients.

not true for me

Same here, to me this seems like saying if water is a part of your food intake it is taking the place of foods that actually provide your body with positive nutrients. Coffee isn't really a food, most people don't eat it(unless your into that kind of thing and enjoy a nice cup of coffee grounds), they drink it with their breakfast or before a meal etc. just like they would any other drink.....water, soda, wine, beer, etc etc.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee like I like my women, ground up and in the freezer! :indifferent:

Just kidding... black! :drinker:

:noway: lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

not true for me

Same for me.

Obviously if your coffee consumption is so high that you're literally not eating enough vegetables or fruits because you're just drinking so much damn coffee that your other dietary decisions are poor then I can see your coffee consumption being an issue. But I see no reason that the inclusion of moderate amounts of coffee to an otherwise nutrient rich diet, is negative in any way.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just drink mine black. But, I am also not really into coffee for the taste so much as the caffeine to wake me up ha! The "proletariat hunger killer", to quote Sydney Mintz. When I need to be awake and on my feet are usually the only times I drink it.