women bench pressing

Options
How much can you bench press? I've had guys tell me they can't bench as much as me....I'm just curious if what I bench is "normal" for a lady my size....
I'm 5'4" 151lbs
I started strength training two years ago, took a hiatious to take up running..now I'm doing both :)
anyways..I normally bench 100-105 (I can remember if the bar weighs 30 or 35 lbs)
I bench that amount for three sets of ten..

any input appreciated :)

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Most Olympic barbells are actually 45lbs so you could be selling yourself short :)
  • ashleighlive
    ashleighlive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That is good!
    Generally the aim is to lift your body weight, so push ups and core exercises are great to help you along!
    But it is true, I see men lifting a LOT less! Especially juxtaposed to their actual weight... being much more than yours generally!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    not that much. lol.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Most Olympic barbells are actually 45lbs so you could be selling yourself short :)

^^YEP, they are heavier than you thought.

I'd say you are doing really good.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I bench 55kgs/120lbs x 5 x 2

But I weigh a fair amount more than you.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    5'3" I weigh 161..... and i lift 170lbs not counting the bar..
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    A grown man benching less than 100 lbs is just sad. When I was 200 lbs. I was benching 315 lbs. I have no idea what I bench now but If I couldn't bench 100 lbs then I wouldn't be able to get out of bed.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Why wouldn't you count the bar?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I can do 105 for 3 sets of 5.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Thanks all..However the bar I use is not an olympic bar (I have one of those too) the bar I use is "attached" to my weight bench. the kind that slides up and down...I weighed it one time I just can't remember if it was 30 or 35 lbs.

Bench my weight??? I guess I have more weight to lose than I thought ! :)
  • VeganZombie13
    Options

Why wouldn't you count the bar?

I keep track of just the weights in a book, try to lift more as I go.... No reason really lol
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the the barbell. For some reason they market 35 lb bars as bars for women. My gym has a couple and it always weirds me out because they're thinner.

It is all relative to size and body weight. A man benching less than 100 is pretty low unless he's quite small (I'm talking 5'1"-5'2") or rail thin. Men in general have more muscle, and a lot of that is in the upper body.

Edit - if you're using a Smith machine, the bar is generally counter-weighted. In general, most people include the weight of the bar when listing their maximum lifts, as different bars weigh different amounts, but the weight is still the weight (if that makes sense, I'm tired).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks all..However the bar I use is not an olympic bar (I have one of those too) the bar I use is "attached" to my weight bench. the kind that slides up and down...I weighed it one time I just can't remember if it was 30 or 35 lbs.

Bench my weight??? I guess I have more weight to lose than I thought ! :)

So it's a Smith machine? I think you'd have to go down in weights to do a normal bench press.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on hiatus due to an injury, but I started with just the bar and it took me 6 months to get to 105lbs. It's by FAR my slowest progression, and I've gotten stuck at every increment past 80 lbs. Farking bench press..........let's talk about squats or deadlifts! :tongue:

ETA- I'm almost the same size as you, a little shorter.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Hey, Beans. How much do you squat? :drinker:
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    [/quote]

So it's a Smith machine? I think you'd have to go down in weights to do a normal bench press.
    [/quote]

I guess it is a smith machine ( I had to google it :tongue: )
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Hey, Beans. How much do you squat? :drinker:

No way. I'm not going down for thread hijacking AGAIN!!!!!

Bench Bench Bench. Arch your back. Plant your feetz!

(180)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Women shouldn't bench press. It'll mash their boobs.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Ummmm actually it can make da boobies look bigger. Check yo' self.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Ummmm actually it can make da boobies look bigger. Check yo' self.

Pretty sure it mashes them flat. 30 Day Shred. That's what chicks should be doing. Helps with long lean muscle instead of smashed boobies and bulky muscle. Just make sure you get plenty of healthy fats.