women bench pressing

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    it's not how much, but how WELL you do it ;)

Definitely both..not an either/or if you ask me.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't typically have a spot, but when I bench, the heaviest I've gone alone is 135lbs for 6-8 reps.

I'm 5'3"
    Competition weight 115 lbs
    Off Season weight: 125-130lbs

I've been weight training for a little over 2 years now.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I usually DB bench 60lbs (total of 120lbs) at about 6 reps for 4 sets... I haven't tested my max on traditional BB bench in awhile but I think the last time I did 135lb for 4 on 2 sets... I'm now curious to find out what my max actually is... :smile:

wow! love the arms! i can't wait until i start benching ^_^ you ladies really inspired me! :flowerforyou:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I only started lifting in April, and didn't do bench press until July, but my heaviest with the barbell is 65 lb. for 8 reps. With dumbbells I've done 70 lb. (35 lb./hand) for 4 reps.

(I'm 5'5" and weigh 180-185, so not even half my body weight - yet!)
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good grief. We are talking health and fitness here not boobs, I hope. As boobs are just tiny glands protected by fat deposits, do you also thing girls should be fat to maximize their boobage?

There was a time that men said women shouldn't run marathons (or read) because it would strain their delicate selves and make them less feminine. Sounds like old boy thinking to me!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    PS> I am a lot older now but in my 30's I benched over 100lbs. (I'm 5'1")
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the the barbell. For some reason they market 35 lb bars as bars for women. My gym has a couple and it always weirds me out because they're thinner.

prob bc our hands are smaller and its easier to grip
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm having serious issues with bench press and I don't know why. Just can't seem to make any progress! I'm currently at a measly 65 lbs for 3 sets of 6. It's 56% of my body weight. Starting to take a more structured approach now though so hopefully I will see some improvement soon.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Good grief. We are talking health and fitness here not boobs, I hope. As boobs are just tiny glands protected by fat deposits

Thousands of years of human sexuality says you're wrong.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I only read the OP. That is a decent amount of weight for a woman. It is pretty low for a man who has been lifting for 2-3 months. It is probably around average for a man that doesn't lift regularly (assuming 100-105) 3x10x115-120 would probably be hard for a man that doesn't lift.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

The relevance of the chart in the link has been debated in body building circles. But I think it would be a good general guide for what we're discussing. Note this is on a bench, not a Smith's Machine.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My 1RM is 145
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm 5'2, weigh 56 kg (123 lbs.) and right now I just upped my bench press to 35.5kg (80 lbs.) coz my shoulders are my weakest part although I can squat, deadlift & lunge a 65.5kg (144 lbs.) barbell.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1. Stay away from the smith machine

2. This is the internet, if it looks like a troll, smells like a troll, it probably is a troll

3. My wife is limited to the bar at the moment, by her fears and zero training. I'd be surprised at the average guy off of the street that couldn't press 50kg with adequate coaching.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Bench Press is unfortunately my weakest lift. I can manage 90lbs for a couple of reps. Could possibly do more if I had a spotter (I workout alone @ home). I'm 125lbs FWIW. My goal is to bench my weight - I'll get there...eventually.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I work my way up to one rep max and lower back down (not all the way to my warmup) to continue the workout. If the bar on the smith machine counts as 30 pounds then my one rep max is still only 100 pounds but I think that is okay, I will get stronger! :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    FWIW - The bar on a Smith Machine may weight 45lbs, but it's counter-balanced so it's in reality it's more like moving 15lbs. I can bench press an empty Smith Machine bar with my fingers; no way I could do that with an empty Olympic Bar (which DOES weigh 45 lbs).

Yet another reason NOT to use a Smith Machine...
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wow- that puts me to shame????
    I just started lifting by myself at home- no spotter. I'm only doing 50 lbs dumbbell (25/hand). Hopefully I'll get there slowly
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I started lifting 2 months ago I can only bench 82lbs right now 3 sets of 6