How to handle co-worker sabotage?

Options
Okay, my co-workers aren't intentionally sabotaging me, but I find myself bombarded with junk food offers nearly everyday. Chips, candy, cookies, cakes... and of course it's worse now during the holidays. Sometimes it's homemade goodies and I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. Sometimes it's the "if I eat one, you have to" angle (trying to sharing the guilt?).

How do you handle co-worker sabotage? Just trying to get some new ideas from how other handle this sort of thing. Maybe a new line to use to politely turn down the junk? Maybe a new way to explain why I'm not interested, without getting into details?

So... chime in and let me hear some of your experiences and answers to this never ending problem! :)

-Cat

Replies

• katakism
    Options
    OMG I have this same issue, one of my co-workers goes to Costco and buys gigantic packs of sugary candy things. She's a bit sort of mumsie to the guys I work with.
    I used to take them, just a jelly snake or something, but now, just say, thank you but I do not want it.
    Also mention that you are going sugar free. Or gluten free.
    If it is handmade, I know it's hard to say no, they put a lot of effort in, say 'ok just half' or 'a small slice'
    If they say, if I have one you have one! No, let's go halvsies!

Hope this helps a little bit!
  • Skys_not_the_limit
    Options
    This is probably not what you want to hear....
    But.how much is that cookie worth?
    Is it worth packing on another pound of fat.is it worth the guilt?is it worth having to "restart" your diet another day?
    No.
    So that's just what you have to say.
    When you hear "do you want a brownie?there sooo good!!" You have to think about your ultimate goals.
    Begin with the end in mind:)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You know whether these treats will fit into your daily allowance. If they do, have some, if not - don't!

It doesn't take long for people to realise you aren't interested in that food and will stop asking. In my case it has also come with some eye-rolling or comments about me being a salad eater or something else ridiculous.

Trust me, when the weight starts to come off their jealousy and asking you for advice will far outweigh any negative comments or judgements! :bigsmile:
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have a container of fresh fruits and vegetables on my desk and I always just say "No thanks I am changing the way I eat"
    You don't have to feel bad if their feelings are hurt. Never apologize. Never explain. You don't owe them anything.
    If they push it. Repeat again. " No thanks I am changing the way I eat. Smile and move on.
    Don't eat anything at work you didn't bring with you. Otherwise it never stops.
  • gvnyc
    gvnyc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find responses like "I've already had so much Xmas junk food lately, I have to stop eating it at work!" or "no thanks, all this sugar has been giving me mood swings" don't invite the same attention as talking about a diet.
  • Slima37
    Options
    Hi I'm new here :)

This has happened to me a lot, especially with so called close friends and it has kept me down for years... Well no more...

You have made the decision to lose weight because it makes you feel better about yourself, healthier etc... It's time to put you and your feelings first.

I don't know if you would consider this but now I just either ignore what they want me to do or just say no thank you and walk away. If they come on stronger with objections I'm just going to tell people to respect my choices or ping off....

I hope it works out for you :)
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just say no thank you and leave it at that. No explaination needed. If they're hurt about you not taking their food they have bigger issues at bay.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have a container of fresh fruits and vegetables on my desk and I always just say "No thanks I am changing the way I eat"
    You don't have to feel bad if their feelings are hurt. Never apologize. Never explain. You don't owe them anything.
    If they push it. Repeat again. " No thanks I am changing the way I eat. Smile and move on.

Solid advice!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    At my work, the goods always go in the same spot and I can avoid them if I take the back entrance! If I'm under serious pressure and don't wan't to upset someone, I cut off a TINY bite, tell them how good it is and then explain that I'm on a diet and can't have anymore. If they persist, I tell them that I'll take it and put it in my garbage can!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Seriously, they usually stop pressuring when you tell them you'll throw it away!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Just say NO! ;)

The only person who can sabotage your efforts is yourself.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a retired Marine who was a poster child for physical fitness and health. When goodies were getting passed around during the Christmas season, he'd always say "I don't put that poison in my body". He said it facetiously and with humor, and nobody took offense to it; in fact it became a standing joke amongst us - but we knew that he wouldn't/didn't eat that kind of stuff. Everybody respected that and didn't push it on him.

I'm not quite so iron-willed. I occasionally indulge, but if I'm not in the mood or feeling particularly vigilant that day, I just pat my stomach and say "Gotta watch my girlish figure". Keeps it light, but sends the message.
  • banks89202
    Options
    I have had issues with that too, it doesn't matter how many times I tell them I am changing my eating habits they still push junk in my face. Ugh! Stay strong and if it fits in your calories and you think its worth it do it and if not dont :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If it is just laying out, then don't take it. If it is given right to you, thank them , take a bite, and wrap it in a napkin and take it home. And feed it to the garbag disposal.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You are in control of what you put in your mouth. I work in the food industry most if not all the menu is not good for you. People bring treats to work all the time. It's up to me what I do with it all. I can't blame everyone else who isn't on this lifestyle. I have to do for me and let them live their life how they want to. I can only control what I do for my life.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I put large quantities of Milk of Magnesia in brownies and bring them to the office. Feed co-worker, problem solved for a few days.
    Repeat each week.

If that doesn't work throw humor at them.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Can you just be honest and let them know that you are watching your calories/what you eat, but you appreciate the offer anyway? I am not sure if you want your coworkers knowing your business regarding that, though.

In the end, it really just comes down to having self control and saying no when people try to guilt you into eating. It's not really your job to eat something you don't really want in order to spare someone's feelings. Most people should understand if you say "no thanks" in a polite manner. (or at least, I would hope!) :) You can always say something like "Oh, I already ate lunch, but thanks anyway!"
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's actually something that I practice ahead of time, in situations that I know I will run into food pushers. There are a lot of ways that you can approach it but you have to find one that works for you. I find that saying "oh wow, thanks but I just finished eating my snack and am stuffed" is a good way to start. Some people are STILL really insitant though. I can joke with them and call them pushy when they insist and make a joke of it but still not take the food.

Sometimes people, especially family, ARE trying to love/like you with food and you don't want to hurt their feelings so it's fine to take it and dump it when you can. Or if you can afford it, calorically speaking, take some and then make such a big deal to them about how good it was because honestly, that's the feedback they're wanting. Or you can say "oh I remember when you made that last year, it was so delicious, do you think I could take some home with me" so then you're not rejecting and you can choose what you'll do with it after they're gone (toss or eat later).
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    It was hard in the beginning, but after you say "no thank you" enough times, they just "get it". I'm now that person that everyone in my large office (300+ staff) knows as the 'weight loss guru' and nobody offers me anything tempting anymore. Sometimes it's a LITTLE annoying as I'm not on a diet, it was literally a lifestyle change, but they stop.

My recommendation to you is that you avoid the snacks table if it's a cocktail party, politely sing happy birthday for a colleague but return to your desk when the cake is served, avoid morning teas, order something healthy if you're out to lunch with colleagues or clients, always have a bottle or a glass of water on hand, and always be ready to say "no thank you" to that one person in the office who is jealous of your strong motivation to get healthier.

Congratulations for recognising this issue before the holidays really kick in and I wish you all the best with it!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Funny, some of the veggies are fruits have the same caloric value of cookie and cakes.

Oh the irony.