Lost my beloved Running partner, my dog

Options

Replies

• jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I know how much that hurts, and I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    so sorry to hear your news. Dogs are so much part of the family and everything we do and their unconditional love and loyalty makes them so special to us. Thoughts are with you
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Bridge is a great poem. Makes me cry every time, but also makes me feel happy that I'll see her again!
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss
    Please take the time to read this

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Rough time these past two days. My dog, Harley, died on Sunday. She was my faithful sidekick and very much like one of my children. She and I ran thousands of miles together. And it was her silly smile and crazy joy of running that made me go on those days when I just wanted to crash on the couch. She was like my best friend in so many ways.

Today I am "scheduled" for a run. It will be my first training run in 7 years without her. My heart is breaking. It sucks.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I don't know what I'd do without my porkchop... I know one day I will be in the same circumstance. However, I'm a true believer in when one pet dies, it's a reason to rescue/adopt another from a shelter and save their lives!

Harley is now passing the rainbrow bridge and will rest peacefully.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss... take his collar with you and hit the ground.

Love that idea!

And I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dog had a wonderful life with someone who loved her so much.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this ;(
    I cannot imagine losing my dog. That has got to be so hard. My thoughts are prayers are with you as you grieve and find peace.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I am truly sorry for your loss. My condolences. Perhaps dedicate your runs to her now?
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

:( That is a sweet idea.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I think that is a great idea. Your dog will be with you no matter what. Watching down on you and cheering you on your runs. Sorry for the loss you have had. Keep your head up.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this. :(
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry..... Heres a flower for you... :flowerforyou: I know this doesn't make your pain any less... But there ARE people who care about this.. Right here on MFP. Do you think Harley would want you to be sad about this all the time? Or do you think Harley would want you to find another running partner, anytime in the near future?? I hope you feel better. And maybe Harley is up there with our Buffy.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

I second this. Go for your run - your companion will not be very far away.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry:brokenheart:

I lost my walking partner dog of 8 1/2 years in May. It was really hard to go for a walk in the park alone and after two weeks of brokenness I got a new puppy. I still miss her terribly but did not want to walk alone and am providing a home for a dog that needed one and warms my heart.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sending you hugs - i know that this will be hard but try to focus on the great times you had running together. Your precious doggie is looking down on you & will be right there with you in your heart :heart:

We lost our chihuahua-daschound (SP?) mix in May of this year at almost 21 y/o - it was my husband's dog when we started dating almost 10 years ago & i still catch myself calling our other dog by her name.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so very sorry. We lost our beagle Raleigh earlier this year. That dog would walk for days if you let him... ((hugs))
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    so sorry for your loss :( Harley sounds like he had a wonderful life
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Love that idea!

And I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dog had a wonderful life with someone who loved her so much.

Agree with both of these. Between Sept. 2009 and May 2011 we lost four furry family members - 3 to old age (14 yrs +) and one 8-yr-old Cane Corso with bone cancer. So much heartache, but nothing compared to the joy they brought to our lives. We rescued a pit bull from the shelter in Mar. 2010, and she brought happiness back to our lives. I hope you soon find peace, and maybe a spot in your heart for a new running pal. So sorry for your loss. xo
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you loss.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Rough time these past two days. My dog, Harley, died on Sunday. She was my faithful sidekick and very much like one of my children. She and I ran thousands of miles together. And it was her silly smile and crazy joy of running that made me go on those days when I just wanted to crash on the couch. She was like my best friend in so many ways.

Today I am "scheduled" for a run. It will be my first training run in 7 years without her. My heart is breaking. It sucks.

I am soooo so so so sorry! I teared up reading this. My dog is my soul and I can't imagine life without her. My heart goes out to you. Raven and I will run for you and Harley tomorrow morning :(