Please Look at my Diary... Help!

Options
Ok, so number 1 I had Gastric Bypass 7 months ago, so my intake is going to be very low! I am not perfect, but I have really tried to make better food choices. I cannot easily hit 900 cals a day. I have to set a timer on my phone to remind me to eat. I seem to have gained 2 lbs in the last week, and can't figure out why. My weight loss is slow for bypass patients. I need more protein I know, but how??? I'm not a huge meat eater. Please be kind, but I would love some feed back. At most I have lost 101 lbs, 22 are pre surgery so of those, 79 are post surgery. I have now had my fist gain...2 lbs. In the last 8 weeks I have really increased exercise though in the last 5 days I have not. I have 65+ more pounds to go, and feel like I am really struggling. Is it caloric intake? Protein? too many carbs though many come from fruits? Help please but BE NICE!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any easily digestible proteins, such as fish (preferably sashimi, but that's harder to get at most grocers)? Try fish. Tilapia, any flaky white fish, actually, has a high protein per gram ratio. My sister had gastric by-pass, and she ate a lot of flaky fish. Jack Links might have too much sodium, and cured meats are not that easy to digest. You can also try juicing veggies, adding aloe to your diet for digestion, and maybe add spirulina or seaweed. These all have great nutrients that won't take forever to digest.
  • silverbelle69
    silverbelle69 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggs and cheese? I like Egg Beaters with reduced fat shredded cheddar. Low/no carbs and higher in protein. You'll just have to experiment with what foods you enjoy that are high protein/low carb/low sugar/low fat.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any easily digestible proteins, such as fish (preferably sashimi, but that's harder to get at most grocers)? Try fish. Tilapia, any flaky white fish, actually, has a high protein per gram ratio. My sister had gastric by-pass, and she ate a lot of flaky fish. Jack Links might have too much sodium, and cured meats are not that easy to digest. You can also try juicing veggies, adding aloe to your diet for digestion, and maybe add spirulina or seaweed. These all have great nutrients that won't take forever to digest.

I have never been much of a fish eater, but there are a few that I enjoy, salmon, (not flaky and white), and some others, but in very small amounts as it makes me queasy. i do really like crab, but who can afford that daily. Juicing would be completely new to me, but it is worth a try. Thanks.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    When I decided to up my calories and protein I started adding protein whey to my coffee, the chocolate flavor is awesome. Shrimp and tuna are good protein sources too.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am a senior nursing student and during a recent clinical experiene I got to work on a post-op bariatric surgery floor. So,I gained a ton of knowledge on discharge teaching regarding diet & exercise for these patients.

First questions - do you walk or do any physical activity? Are you diabetic?

Your diet should come mostly from protein, fruits, and veggies. Because your caloric intake is so restricted - you need to get the most nutrients out of your food to fit the small space in your stomach. I absolutely encourage you to really increase your protein intake. Milk, eggs, fish, ground turkey, chicken breast, greek yogurt are important things to include. Expand your horizons and try new things. You went through a life changing surgery - take full advantage of the gift you received :)

Cut down on the carbs - and the ones you do have - keep them complex. Skip the spaghetti & mashed potatoes. Fill your body with needed nutrients. Of course, every once in a while a little bit is okay :)

You can do it :) If you have anymore questions, you can PM me and I am willing to help.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Do you like eggs and cheese? I like Egg Beaters with reduced fat shredded cheddar. Low/no carbs and higher in protein. You'll just have to experiment with what foods you enjoy that are high protein/low carb/low sugar/low fat.

Immediately following surgery until 2 weeks ago, I was unable to eat eggs. If you look at my diary, I have more and more eggs. Thanks.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out the jerky, eat more veggies and add more protein.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    I am a senior nursing student and during a recent clinical experiene I got to work on a post-op bariatric surgery floor. So,I gained a ton of knowledge on discharge teaching regarding diet & exercise for these patients.

First questions - do you walk or do any physical activity? Are you diabetic?

Your diet should come mostly from protein, fruits, and veggies. Because your caloric intake is so restricted - you need to get the most nutrients out of your food to fit the small space in your stomach. I absolutely encourage you to really increase your protein intake. Milk, eggs, fish, ground turkey, chicken breast, greek yogurt are important things to include. Expand your horizons and try new things. You went through a life changing surgery - take full advantage of the gift you received :)

Cut down on the carbs - and the ones you do have - keep them complex. Skip the spaghetti & mashed potatoes. Fill your body with needed nutrients. Of course, every once in a while a little bit is okay :)

You can do it :) If you have anymore questions, you can PM me and I am willing to help.

Thanks. I am really trying to eat more protein. I don't usually eat the noodle stuff that is fairly new to my diet. But your are right, I really need to up my protein. This is hard but I will get it thanks for your time.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in one week is within a normal range of fluctuation due to fluid retention. Unless you have exceeded your calories by 7000 cals, it's not fat. 3500 cals = 1 lb of fat.
  • mhorn2142
    Options

I do the jerky for the protein. it is very high in protein though it is also high in sodium...
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    When I decided to up my calories and protein I started adding protein whey to my coffee, the chocolate flavor is awesome. Shrimp and tuna are good protein sources too.

I'll have to try this.
  • mtabh
    Options
    Also, skip the eating out. Try to eat whole foods, meaning closest to it's original form. Avoid lots of processed meals like the jimmy dean breakfast stuff....
  • mtabh
    Options
    Can you eat chicken? Tuna? Beans, Nuts? There are better ways to get protein. Jerky isn't a good option, IMO.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Also, skip the eating out. Try to eat whole foods, meaning closest to it's original form. Avoid lots of processed meals like the jimmy dean breakfast stuff....

Is the Jimmy dean stuff really that bad? The bacon isn't lean, I get that, but frozen bell peppers, onions, and potatoes, with eggs. Is that not a good quick easy alternative? I truly am asking because I would love to better understand. So Thanks.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lentils, chickpeas, edamame, and greek yogurt are great non-meat protein alternatives. I'm not a big fan of meat either, though I do eat some once or twice a week. There's plenty of alternatives out there.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

I do the jerky for the protein. it is very high in protein though it is also high in sodium...

you know instead of eatting processed meat why not have a small serving of actual meat? Processed foods "diet" foods in particular seem to add a ton of sodium
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Lentils, chickpeas, edamame, and greek yogurt are great non-meat protein alternatives. I'm not a big fan of meat either, though I do eat some once or twice a week. There's plenty of alternatives out there.

thats an awesome thought!
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    water...unless you are drinking but not logging....
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Can you eat chicken? Tuna? Beans, Nuts? There are better ways to get protein. Jerky isn't a good option, IMO.

I agree I need to eat out less as you said in the previous. And yes I can eat those things. Jerky is easy to eat behind my desk. At the risk of sounding like I am making excuses, I tell you that I choose some foods like the fruit, and jerky because the are easy when I work 60+ hours a week and have a family of 5. So it is how I short cut. Do you have other short cut ideas for me. I have to remember the nuts though, Those are good behind the desk things too. thanks.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    water...unless you are drinking but not logging....

I don't log my water, but I get about 32 ounces a day.