Please Look at my Diary... Help!

Options

Replies

• mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My mom had gastric bypass lived and still does off of protein drinks. Cod is a good fisa for protein as well :)

Thanks. As I have not found a tolerable protein drink, I would love to live off of them as well. I am just not being successful though.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are truely logging everything you are eating, your not eating engouh. Your only consuming 900 cals a day at the most, an individual needs to consume AT LEAST 1,200 anything under that and your body is in stravation mode and is clinging onto everything you are eating. More water and better choices.. like someone said, nuts/carrots/raisins/yoghurt/fruit all things you can eat at work.

She's had weightloss surgery and has calorie limitations.

Fair engouh, but she's still not eating the 900 cals most days

Touche´

I really have to set an alarm to remind me to eat. I can only eat about 1/4-1/2 a cup of food at a time. It take me 30+ minutes to eat a meal. The 900 cals. are what I am striving for. What are your thoughts on my work out days?? There would be no way o replace calories.

Yikes. I would ask your doctor about that. Are you supposed to (allowed to?) eat back your calories? I would say you need to eat at least 900 on those days.
  • mtabh
    Options
    My mom had gastric bypass lived and still does off of protein drinks. Cod is a good fisa for protein as well :)

Thanks. As I have not found a tolerable protein drink, I would love to live off of them as well. I am just not being successful though.

I think you can get your protein in whole foods rather than shakes. I know they are popular, but you want to train yourself to eat well and get your nutrients. Isn't that the idea? Would you want to always drink your meals? Personally I don't like the idea for me. But you have to find what works for you.

I tried Body By Vi (not a protein shake, but a "nutritional supplement") and didn't like it at all. So, I am counting calories and having much better results and feel more energetic with whole foods.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    If you are truely logging everything you are eating, your not eating engouh. Your only consuming 900 cals a day at the most, an individual needs to consume AT LEAST 1,200 anything under that and your body is in stravation mode and is clinging onto everything you are eating. More water and better choices.. like someone said, nuts/carrots/raisins/yoghurt/fruit all things you can eat at work.

She's had weightloss surgery and has calorie limitations.

Fair engouh, but she's still not eating the 900 cals most days

Touche´

Haha, the internet must of come off differently than i meant it, i didn't realise that there was a calorie limitations, but i assume she still needs to hit 900 cals, just trying to help the lady.

That was meant in a jovial tone. :D
    No prob. I am really trying to get some ideas. here. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. This is a new way of living, and I want to make clear and serious changes. So I appreciate everyones input. :wink:
  • Haniabebe
    Options
    First congratulation on your weight loss:) Stop eating processed foods, lots of fresh veggie and fruits, lean protein, you are not eating enough protein BTW. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, steel cut out for carbs. Use left over meat left over from dinner for your lunches. Spaghetti squash instead of pasta is delicious. Take it easy on your dairy and sugar. Eat REAL food.
    Good luck and stay strong.
  • mhorn2142
    Options

I think you can get your protein in whole foods rather than shakes. I know they are popular, but you want to train yourself to eat well and get your nutrients. Isn't that the idea? Would you want to always drink your meals? Personally I don't like the idea for me. But you have to find what works for you.

I tried Body By Vi (not a protein shake, but a "nutritional supplement") and didn't like it at all. So, I am counting calories and having much better results and feel more energetic with whole foods.

My dr. is very much a whole foods kinda guy. He doesn't want me to drink my calories, because it passes through my stomach quite rapidly. Which later can increase hunger. But I have surely got to eat better and more protein.
  • californiahome
    californiahome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you have Trader Joe's near you? I buy the frozen shelled Edamame. 1/2 cup is 120 calories with 13 g protein. I add to my salads, soups and straight as a snack. Good luck
    :smile:
  • mtabh
    Options

My dr. is very much a whole foods kinda guy. He doesn't want me to drink my calories, because it passes through my stomach quite rapidly. Which later can increase hunger. But I have surely got to eat better and more protein.

It's a learning process. You won't get perfect overnight. I had a good day today, but plan to eat some goldfish crackers in a minute. Moderation is key. You can have yummy stuff, but don't overdo it. My sodium was over today because I put a half teaspoon of salt in my dinner (without realizing how much sodium salt contains - had never bothered to look that up) and the deli meat I have isn't low sodium. Double whammy. But I learned from it, I will buy low fat, low sodium turkey and omit the salt next time.

Coming here to ask advice shows you want to make the effort! You will get there.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    I really have to set an alarm to remind me to eat. I can only eat about 1/4-1/2 a cup of food at a time. It take me 30+ minutes to eat a meal. The 900 cals. are what I am striving for. What are your thoughts on my work out days?? There would be no way o replace calories.
    [/quote]

Yikes. I would ask your doctor about that. Are you supposed to (allowed to?) eat back your calories? I would say you need to eat at least 900 on those days.
    [/quote]

I am allowed, but I don't physically know that I could. The idea of the surgery is to be able to eat better, less and get moving. And having this slow loss (for bypass patients) and this little gain, I am just looking for new answers.
  • mhorn2142
    Options

It's a learning process. You won't get perfect overnight. I had a good day today, but plan to eat some goldfish crackers in a minute. Moderation is key. You can have yummy stuff, but don't overdo it. My sodium was over today because I put a half teaspoon of salt in my dinner (without realizing how much sodium salt contains - had never bothered to look that up) and the deli meat I have isn't low sodium. Double whammy. But I learned from it, I will buy low fat, low sodium turkey and omit the salt next time.

Coming here to ask advice shows you want to make the effort! You will get there.

Thanks!
  • ctchc28
    Options
    Definitely try the chickpeas, I love them!! I put them on my salad all the time rather than other fattening things you could use. I'm not sure where you live if you have a Harris Teeter but I find that a lot of times if I don't have time to cook or couldn't make a lunch I will hit the salad bar. However you do have to make good choices at the bar. I load up on veggies/spinach/and chickpeas and I have my own bottle of fat free dressing I use instead of what they have there to put on it. I keep it at work. Also Planters has individual snack packs of nuts, I really like the wholesome nutrition ones. They are already portioned out and are easy to keep at your desk. I'm not well versed on what foods are good or bad for gastric bypass patients so I don't know if string cheese is a good snack option for you or not but I find they work well for me. I'm surprised your Doctor suggested jerky as there are much healthier options out there. Also I agree with someone who previously posted that you're probably retaining water due to too much sodium and that's the reason for your gain. Good luck and congrats on how far you've come so far already!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Try the EAS AdvantEdge protein drinks that someone else suggested. They are very low in sugar and carbs, and they go down easier, as they aren't thick and milky like some. They taste good, in my opinion. I also use them to make smoothies. I will add a frozen banana to a vanilla flavor, and 1 cup of frozen strawberries to the strawberry flavor. Just put them in a blender. But they are still good just by themselves. Especially the chocolate and strawberry flavors.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Do you have Trader Joe's near you? I buy the frozen shelled Edamame. 1/2 cup is 120 calories with 13 g protein. I add to my salads, soups and straight as a snack. Good luck
    :smile:

I don't have trader joes, but I do the frozen edamame from steam fresh. I do have that but not often enough.
    Thanks.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well you don't track your sodium so I can't see that but by looking at the foods you have listed I can see that you are way high on your sodium intake. The more sodium you have the more you retain water.

Try tracking your sodium for a week or two and working to keep it under the 2500 that MFP gives you. Drink tons of water while doing this to facilitate losing the water weight.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Try the EAS AdvantEdge protein drinks that someone else suggested. They are very low in sugar and carbs, and they go down easier, as they aren't thick and milky like some. They taste good, in my opinion. I also use them to make smoothies. I will add a frozen banana to a vanilla flavor, and 1 cup of frozen strawberries to the strawberry flavor. Just put them in a blender. But they are still good just by themselves. Especially the chocolate and strawberry flavors.

This! I love the EAS protein drinks. They taste great and really fill me up.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium. It's a bloater. I can gain 4 pounds in a day because of salty shet. I try to not eat more than 2000 mg a day.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Definitely try the chickpeas, I love them!! I put them on my salad all the time rather than other fattening things you could use. I'm not sure where you live if you have a Harris Teeter but I find that a lot of times if I don't have time to cook or couldn't make a lunch I will hit the salad bar. However you do have to make good choices at the bar. I load up on veggies/spinach/and chickpeas and I have my own bottle of fat free dressing I use instead of what they have there to put on it. I keep it at work. Also Planters has individual snack packs of nuts, I really like the wholesome nutrition ones. They are already portioned out and are easy to keep at your desk. I'm not well versed on what foods are good or bad for gastric bypass patients so I don't know if string cheese is a good snack option for you or not but I find they work well for me. I'm surprised your Doctor suggested jerky as there are much healthier options out there. Also I agree with someone who previously posted that you're probably retaining water due to too much sodium and that's the reason for your gain. Good luck and congrats on how far you've come so far already!!

Good point Thanks.
  • mhorn2142
    Options

This! I love the EAS protein drinks. They taste great and really fill me up.

Where do I get them? I Think I missed that.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lentils, chickpeas, edamame, and greek yogurt are great non-meat protein alternatives. I'm not a big fan of meat either, though I do eat some once or twice a week. There's plenty of alternatives out there.

thats an awesome thought!

Hey thanks. :flowerforyou: I should also say that those are pretty cheap options too, compared to meat. That's the main reason I eat them. Green lentils are about $0.10/serving with 16 servings/1lb bag. They're also very high in fiber, so you feel full.

Also Chickpea popcorn is to die for have you tried that? just take some cooked chickpea and season them with your fav no sodium italian seasons and put them in the oven for about 20 mins its really a nice crunchy snack

Fantastic Idea. I LOVE Chickpea Popcorn. I'll have to make some this weekend. Great source of protein

Ok so what is a chickpea and where do I find it. I do have a popcorn deal lately, so I would love to get rid of this by a better choice.

Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans. They don't have much of a taste though. (I hate beans!) they could go by either name. Where I shop, they're with the other canned beans, but sometimes they're mixed in with the veggies for some reason. They're also great for adding to things you already make, like veggie soup and pasta salad, etc. They're also used for making hummus, but I can't help you there. I'm not a hummus fan.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How about making up some breakfast burritos ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. I use Mission Carb Balance brand, as they have a lot of fiber and low net carbs. Scramble up some eggs, cheese, and turkey sausage or bacon and wrap them up individually, then use them when you need them. I love putting salsa on mine, but you could add whatever seasonings and veggies you like.