Please Look at my Diary... Help!

Options

Replies

• mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are truely logging everything you are eating, your not eating engouh. Your only consuming 900 cals a day at the most, an individual needs to consume AT LEAST 1,200 anything under that and your body is in stravation mode and is clinging onto everything you are eating. More water and better choices.. like someone said, nuts/carrots/raisins/yoghurt/fruit all things you can eat at work.

She's had weightloss surgery and has calorie limitations.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I suggest making a smoothie in the morning filled with your choice of fruits and yogurt and add some protein powder. Forgot to add that to my above post :)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am a senior nursing student and during a recent clinical experiene I got to work on a post-op bariatric surgery floor. So,I gained a ton of knowledge on discharge teaching regarding diet & exercise for these patients.

First questions - do you walk or do any physical activity? Are you diabetic?

Your diet should come mostly from protein, fruits, and veggies. Because your caloric intake is so restricted - you need to get the most nutrients out of your food to fit the small space in your stomach. I absolutely encourage you to really increase your protein intake. Milk, eggs, fish, ground turkey, chicken breast, greek yogurt are important things to include. Expand your horizons and try new things. You went through a life changing surgery - take full advantage of the gift you received :)

Cut down on the carbs - and the ones you do have - keep them complex. Skip the spaghetti & mashed potatoes. Fill your body with needed nutrients. Of course, every once in a while a little bit is okay :)

You can do it :) If you have anymore questions, you can PM me and I am willing to help.

LOVE^^^^^^
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    In looking at your diary, the jerky and crackers may be causing you to retain fluid, due to the sodium. Also, I suggest eating more of a breakfast...it will jumpstart your metabolism. I'm not much of a breakfast eater, so I keep it simple. I like Jillian Michael's whey protein with unsweetened almond milk; banana & natural peanut butter; Low Calorie whole wheat, whole grain toast with natural peanut butter. You should give Tilapia a try. It doesn't have a fishy taste and isn't mushy. Tuna is a great source of protein. Some of the protein rich foods I eat are: Tilapia, tuna, eggs, Greek yogurt, unsalted roasted almonds, black beans, and natural peanut butter. Have you tried uping your water intake? I hope you find a solution. I know how frustrating it is to gain, when you've worked so hard to lose weight.
  • toggerr
    toggerr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is my advice too as another bariatric patient. I start every day with a smoothie made with coconut milk, protein powder and fruit. Be careful of the brand of powder you choose though, some brands are not as good as other brands
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you are truely logging everything you are eating, your not eating engouh. Your only consuming 900 cals a day at the most, an individual needs to consume AT LEAST 1,200 anything under that and your body is in stravation mode and is clinging onto everything you are eating. More water and better choices.. like someone said, nuts/carrots/raisins/yoghurt/fruit all things you can eat at work.

not with gastric bypass. its different
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Fair engouh, but she's still not eating the 900 cals most days
  • BrittneyLutz
    BrittneyLutz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lentils, chickpeas, edamame, and greek yogurt are great non-meat protein alternatives. I'm not a big fan of meat either, though I do eat some once or twice a week. There's plenty of alternatives out there.

thats an awesome thought!

Hey thanks. :flowerforyou: I should also say that those are pretty cheap options too, compared to meat. That's the main reason I eat them. Green lentils are about $0.10/serving with 16 servings/1lb bag. They're also very high in fiber, so you feel full.

Also Chickpea popcorn is to die for have you tried that? just take some cooked chickpea and season them with your fav no sodium italian seasons and put them in the oven for about 20 mins its really a nice crunchy snack

Fantastic Idea. I LOVE Chickpea Popcorn. I'll have to make some this weekend. Great source of protein
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ok...I just took a quick glance, but beef jerky is high in sodium. If you eat that a lot, you could be retaining water. Also, maybe instead of the cheez its, you coulda had a Greek yogurt, which would give you 12-14g of protein, depending on the brand.

You have to change that relationship with food, or else your surgery woulda been for nil. Cheez its and beef jerky are not fuel. You gotta change your mindset to look at food as fuel to keep you energized throughout the day rather than pleasure. Before deciding what to eat, ask yourself "how will this make me feel? Will I get energy from it? Will it help reduce post-workout soreness?" I decide what I'm gonna eat based on those questions, cept for when I allow myself a treat a couple nights per week lol

I guess that food doesn't make the same impact on me as it did before. Truth be told, If I didn't se an alarm I would never remember to eat. I don't get the feeling of hunger any longer. So I don't spend my day thinking about food. I think I really need to plan better. the cheeze it crackers were quick and in the office. Not something I provided. But because I didn't plan it is what I had available when the alarm sounded!! Jerky was suggested by my dr. for protein. I have never thought of food as fuel persay.
  • mtabh
    Options

Touche´
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Lentils, chickpeas, edamame, and greek yogurt are great non-meat protein alternatives. I'm not a big fan of meat either, though I do eat some once or twice a week. There's plenty of alternatives out there.

thats an awesome thought!

Hey thanks. :flowerforyou: I should also say that those are pretty cheap options too, compared to meat. That's the main reason I eat them. Green lentils are about $0.10/serving with 16 servings/1lb bag. They're also very high in fiber, so you feel full.

Also Chickpea popcorn is to die for have you tried that? just take some cooked chickpea and season them with your fav no sodium italian seasons and put them in the oven for about 20 mins its really a nice crunchy snack

Fantastic Idea. I LOVE Chickpea Popcorn. I'll have to make some this weekend. Great source of protein

Ok so what is a chickpea and where do I find it. I do have a popcorn deal lately, so I would love to get rid of this by a better choice.
  • colin_mccomb
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over 2 lbs. Your body's not a bank, and it doesn't always follow the plan. I'd say stick to your regime and stay off the scale for at least a week or two. Next time you check, you should have made progress. If not, then maybe see a doctor to see if there's something wrong.
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Touche´

Haha, the internet must of come off differently than i meant it, i didn't realise that there was a calorie limitations, but i assume she still needs to hit 900 cals, just trying to help the lady.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Wy not just add more cream to your coffee or instead of drinking 1/2 a cup of milk, drink a whole cup? Or better yet, drink whole milk. Tastes nicer.
  • mhorn2142
    Options

Touche´

I really have to set an alarm to remind me to eat. I can only eat about 1/4-1/2 a cup of food at a time. It take me 30+ minutes to eat a meal. The 900 cals. are what I am striving for. What are your thoughts on my work out days?? There would be no way o replace calories.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    My mom had gastric bypass lived and still does off of protein drinks. Cod is a good fisa for protein as well :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    How about an herbalife protein supplement fruit drink? They are 70 calories and pack 15 grams of whey protein in each serving. I drink one on days I am off balance on my protein.

Are you a distributor? lol
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Hi I also had Gastric bypass and i did excellent, however eating like you are I eventually gained alot of my weight back. I did not gain it all because I have not been able to eat the amount I did before the surgery. Let me explain what I mean "like you do" you are eating alot of food outside of home. I did the same. I also thought to myself there is no way I could gain weight because even though I was eating that I did not eat alot of food. What happen is my body got used to that way and slowed it self down actually causing me to gain weight. I completely did a flip in the way I was eating. I eat more clean food then process food I also do not eat noodles, etc, I eat more vegetables and protein then anything else. I also eat three times and snacks in between all of it. I do not eat heavy calorie protein items either. Give yourself a chance by leaving the restaurants alone. Eat a vegetable platter, i.e sweet potato, beans, corn, etc. with the bypass i can eat that very well, in fact I can eat more of that as it is not heavy on the stomach. I also find that I have to drink alot more water than a lot of people due to the bypass. If you like send me a friend request and I can get into a lot more of it. But since I made these changes within my eating patterns I have been losing steady a lb to 2 a week. good luck.

Thanks. I have recently added the noodles, and that is no good. Ok. no more eating out... I have to plan better thanks.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    How about an herbalife protein supplement fruit drink? They are 70 calories and pack 15 grams of whey protein in each serving. I drink one on days I am off balance on my protein.

I have not tried these. I don't do a lot of protein drinks. I could try this. Some times they are just too high in sugar.
  • mtabh
    Options

Touche´

Haha, the internet must of come off differently than i meant it, i didn't realise that there was a calorie limitations, but i assume she still needs to hit 900 cals, just trying to help the lady.

That was meant in a jovial tone. :D