Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    1357165_o.gif
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Can't do any worse than Cobain did, right?

:noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :yawn: :huh:

You love me. Tell me why he's a "god" again?

Not a god, but Nirvana (along with Pearl Jam, et al.) saved rock music from disappearing into the void that it was headed into during the late 80s, early 90s. They reinvented rock music at a time when it was most needed.

I wouldn't go that far, though I guess they did make an impact on the surface of pop culture. I'm sure if it wasn't Nirvana and PJ, it would've been some other bands. There were some pretty fantastic underground bands that were way more influential that most can't name. I really appreciated the grunge fashion scene though.

But I will agree that the huge gap in genres between Sir Paul and Nirvana is going to make for a pretty interesting performance.

The Seattle music scene completely revolutionized rock music, NOT to be confused with "pop" music or pop culture. The Seattle scene changed rock music in the early 90s.

During this time period, I was headed to college, and one of the few who was starting to listen to grunge and dress grunge and appreciate the difference in style after bands like Warrant were becoming parodies of themselves. This was when clubs started doing "alternative nights" (the only night I was willing to go to a club). It was definitely *NOT* a "pop culture" thing until *after* Kurt killed himself. The pop music people hated Nirvana. It was only the hard core rockers/punks/freaks that were into grunge and alternative rock. We were the ones wearing flannel shirts and torn jeans when the "Michael Jackson crowd" was still wearing collared shirts and khakis.

Yes, it wasn't *just* Nirvana or *just* Pearl Jam. It was a whole new scene and a brand new genre. Nirvana gained much notoriety from it. Pearl Jam attempted to completely alter the way concert tickets were sold, which didn't work out. If Nirvana hadn't existed, bands live Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins and Mother Love Bone would still have done the job. (Not to mention RHCP, though they were from L.A. instead of Seattle, they were an alternative to the 80s L.A. scene)

So I will agree that if Nirvana had not existed, the grunge/alternative scene would still have happened. But Nirvana's music was unique even within this scene. Their lyrics and sound were different from the others. (Just like no one compares to Smashing Pumpkins!) They were very special and we lost them way too soon.

Great post!
    You said Mother Love Bone, for that I give you flowers :flowerforyou: Temple of the Dog?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though - I guess they were hard up for another left-handed guitarist/singer?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Well it's not like Kurt can appear. . . . :cry:
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Say what!? :noway:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Well you were a small child when they came out so....

What's your point??

Little kids don't even find out about things until they become pop culture. Your memory is also a bit fuzzier later when you are trying to remember something that happened when you were a kid, vs remembering something that happened when you were an adult.

Your memory also gets fuzzier as you get older and senile.

All I'm saying is that I wasn't around when the Mach 1 was built, but I can rebuild the engine with my eyes closed.

Age has zilch to do with intelligence.

Music, I know. You can stick to Minnie and your college years.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Paul McCartney is replacing the late Kurt Cobain tonight in a Nirvana "reunion" for the sandy relief concert.

Thoughts?

I think it's going to be terrible, and I can't believe they are doing it..

This cannot be real. Is it?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It was definitely *NOT* a "pop culture" thing until *after* Kurt killed himself. The pop music people hated Nirvana. It was only the hard core rockers/punks/freaks that were into grunge and alternative rock. We were the ones wearing flannel shirts and torn jeans when the "Michael Jackson crowd" was still wearing collared shirts and khakis.

I was huge into Grunge music and style long before Cobain's death and no one would ever describe me as "hard-core."

Grunge was very popular among a wide range of people at that time. Heck, even my former hippie, music-snob, Baby-Boomer mother loved Grunge.

Looking back, I see the best music, the stuff that I continue to really enjoy and listen to, is pre-1987 and post-1991. The stuff in between, well, I was young and dumb and enjoyed it at the time. But I don't like it anymore.

People don't have to be "hard core" to enjoy really good music and awesome style.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Love McCartney, Love Cobain- can't see that going well.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I kinda hope Sir Paul sings "Rape Me".
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    just felt the need to state for the record, if you don't like 90s rock, you're doing it all wrong and you should start over.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't Dave just do it instead? SMH
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If Sir Paul's on the stage w/Nirvana, I want Negative Creep on the setlist. =)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Great post!
    You said Mother Love Bone, for that I give you flowers :flowerforyou: Temple of the Dog?

I'm going hungry! Say Hello to Heaven! YES!! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

What's your point??

Little kids don't even find out about things until they become pop culture. Your memory is also a bit fuzzier later when you are trying to remember something that happened when you were a kid, vs remembering something that happened when you were an adult.

All I'm saying is that I wasn't around when the Mach 1 was built, but I can rebuild the engine with my eyes closed.

:laugh:

I don't know crap about engines, but I know music! (eta: Especially the music I listened to in college.)
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A better fit would be put Dave Grohl out front and Ringo Starr on the drums.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It was definitely *NOT* a "pop culture" thing until *after* Kurt killed himself. The pop music people hated Nirvana. It was only the hard core rockers/punks/freaks that were into grunge and alternative rock. We were the ones wearing flannel shirts and torn jeans when the "Michael Jackson crowd" was still wearing collared shirts and khakis.

I was huge into Grunge music and style long before Cobain's death and no one would ever describe me as "hard-core."

Grunge was very popular among a wide range of people at that time. Heck, even my former hippie, music-snob, Baby-Boomer mother loved Grunge.

Looking back, I see the best music, the stuff that I continue to really enjoy and listen to, is pre-1987 and post-1991. The stuff in between, well, I was young and dumb and enjoyed it at the time. But I don't like it anymore.

People don't have to be "hard core" to enjoy really good music and awesome style.

:tongue:

Well you're not hard core, unless you live hard core. But the legend of the rent was *SO* hardcore!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    just felt the need to state for the record, if you don't like 90s rock, you're doing it all wrong and you should start over.

:flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

What's your point??

:laugh:

I don't know crap about engines, but I know music! (eta: Especially the music I listened to in college.)

I think the real issue is perspective. Wendy is old enough to have been very aware of what was going on culturally at that time. A 10-year-old isn't as aware and you can't look back and understand it. You didn't live it at an old enough age to feel the real emotion of it.

It isn't about being smart or dumb or having or not having taste. You just had to experience it. If you didn't, there's nothing you can do about that.

Nirvana's music would not have endured as it has if it wasn't good, no matter if Kurt lived or died. It just wouldn't.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though - I guess they were hard up for another left-handed guitarist/singer?
    Right?!?! This baffles me completely. Such a bad decision.