Weight is really just genetic

Options

Replies

• ajsmommy2010
    Options
    I am a identical twin and have ALWAYS been 20 to 30 lbs heavier than her. Since I started using MFP I have lost 55lbs and now weigh 20lbs less than her. Genetics is just an excuse!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you think it was his behavior that did this or did he just genetic his way to a 300lb loss?

yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I geneticed a guy with a trident
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Why do we all even try to lose weight when in the end it is almost entirely genetic? Look at twins they are always the same weight +/- 15 ibs. They have done studies where twins were separated at birth and raised by seperate families. Researchers examined both their BMI and weight and they are always almost exactly the same weight as their twin not taking after the family that raised them.

there isn't a single person in my family that is built like I am... they're all 35 - 50 - 150 pounds overweight - both on my mom AND dad's side... how "genetic" are we talking?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Very little on this is entirely genetics, or entirely anything else. It is all a series of interrelated issues. Does genetics play a part in how a body responds? Sure, it has to. Is it as big as people sometimes like to claim? No, probably not. Choices can impact this sort of thing. My dad's entire family for as long as we can track died EARLY from heart disease and heart attacks. My dad takes at least slightly better care of his heath and is now fifteen years older than the oldest living male in his family tree excepting one of his brothers. And he isn't dead yet. More specific to weight, I have one obese parent and one normal sized one. There are four daughters and phenotypically for the most part two of each of us take after just one parent (My dad is native American, normal sized, my mom is white and oversized). Of us two darker skinned kids for the most part of my life I was normal sized and am pretty well back down to that and the other is oversized. Of the two fair skinned and haired kids, one is thin despite having three kids, the other is overweight. Genetics are funny that way, there is expression of traits, and mixed inheritance and then there is what you do to yourself over them.

OP, I'd like to see which study you are referencing. The one I found indicates that 705 of it may be genetic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/health/08fat.html?pagewanted=2

So should we really give up on that 30% window?
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    if 'weight is genetic' then I wouldn't be fat. Nobody in my family is fat. Just me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight has very little to do with genetics and is mostly about how much you eat and how much you move.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I middle school, I knew identical triplets... it was interesting because one was skinny, another average, and the third was quite chubby.

then they weren't identical...

Looking identical doesnt make you an identical twin. Looking different doesn't make you fraternal. I've known several indentical twins that could never actually be confused with each other because they look way too different. And yet Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen look enough alike to play the same part of Michelle on Full House for years and they are fraternal twins, NOT identical.
    Fraternal just means from 2 separate eggs, identical twins are from one single egg. There is no reason why identical twins (or triplets) couldn't end up very different in weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I do believe that some people are genetically predisposed to regulate their food intake and activity level intuitively. These are the "normal" looking lean people who are fairly fit looking without even trying. They simply strike a good balance of nutrition and activity without really thinking much about it. (lucky *kitten*!)

Then there are people who left to their own devices will get fatter and fatter and fatter.

Then there are people who left to their own devices are underweight, skinny and weak.

And there's everything in between.

ANYONE, in any of those categorizes, has the ability to change their physique and their lifestyle.

Left to my own devices, I would sit in front of the PS3 eating cakes and ice cream until I was morbidly obese. But I don't do that. I control my nutrition and have made exercise a part of my life.

So, in short, suck it up, buttercup. :flowerforyou:
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    * yawns*
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This person was 500lbs and through diet and exercise he has lost over 300lbs.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/eddavenport

Do you think it was his behavior that did this or did he just genetic his way to a 300lb loss?

This thread is ridiculous.

You hit the nail right on the head Sidesteal..... Yeah lets blame genetics for my 560 lb. Super Morbid Obesity.... It had nothing to do with the 21 inch pizza'a I would buy 3 to 4 times a week and put in tupperware and hide it in the utility closet and cut the boxes into small pieces and put in the trash can in the garage so my family didn't see them and on top of that would get a couple boxes of little debbies swiss cakes and I would eat my normal 3 to 4 meals a day (and normal was like 2 or 3 plate of food lol) and have the pizza and cakes for snacks when my wife and kids went to bed and I would stay up playing xbox and cram food into my pie hole... Nope must of been genetics lol....... :noway:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Left to my own devices, I would do everything in circles except climbing trees. swim in circles and splash around all day. ride bikes up and down hills and through the concrete jungle til I pass out. Run amok in the woods in the park. do cartwheels and roundoffs and play on the monkey bars. Id jump off the pier at Coney island all day long, run face first into the violent surf on the Rockaways. Id spend whole days in the gym. Id hang from my knees until my face turned bright red. Id climb rope ladders and ski indoors on moving carpet mountains, id canoe back and forth across the central park pond and then get lost in teh bramble.

thankfully I am not left alone to my own devices and have people and common sense that make me remember to go in straight lines sometimes.

however - all of this leads to me looking like this :bigsmile: for 95% of my waking life
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My parents are both thin and so were my grandparents when they were younger. I don't see how I'm this big if weight is due to genetics.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post?? Call me a troll if you will, but this is just dumb. Both my parents are thin, so I guess I can just live on cheeseburgers and donuts and never get fat then right?

Duh. Your weight is a hell of a lot more than just genetics.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Left to my own devices, I would do everything in circles except climbing trees. swim in circles and splash around all day. ride bikes up and down hills and through the concrete jungle til I pass out. Run amok in the woods in the park. do cartwheels and roundoffs and play on the monkey bars. Id jump off the pier at Coney island all day long, run face first into the violent surf on the Rockaways. Id spend whole days in the gym. Id hang from my knees until my face turned bright red. Id climb rope ladders and ski indoors on moving carpet mountains, id canoe back and forth across the central park pond and then get lost in teh bramble.

ummm... I kinda sorta REALLY wanna be like this ^^^
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    mary_kate_and_ashley_olsen.jpg

Thats as far as I got googeling twins, got distracted

I hope that your distraction was caused by you saying, "Damn, dem *****es need to eat a sammich or three..."

how rude!:laugh:
  • SylentZee
    Options

I'm pretty sure cocaine had something to do with their weight.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options

Ewww. Really???
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is like saying, "Why try to avoid UV when cancer is just genetic anyway?" You can be genetically prone to something, but it's not a death sentence. Everyone in my family except me is overweight. Yes, I have inherited a slow metabolism, but I have also inherited bull-headedness and I will NOT let myself go back to being fat just because it's "in my genes."
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I believe genetics play into body shape. My mother, sister, and I all have the same shape. But my sister is overweight (by about 40-50 pounds from my weight) and has been for years. I have been the same weight for 8+ years because I started caring about what I put into my body, and exercising. So I disagree.

Case in point: Jessica Alba and her mom

gallerymainjessicaalbamol8.jpg
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I believe genetics play into body shape. My mother, sister, and I all have the same shape. But my sister is overweight (by about 40-50 pounds from my weight) and has been for years. I have been the same weight for 8+ years because I started caring about what I put into my body, and exercising. So I disagree.

Case in point: Jessica Alba and her mom

gallerymainjessicaalbamol8.jpg

Jessica is hot as hell but you can tell it takes some work for her to stay in good shape due to her natural body type... She has a rounder/softer body with hips and boobs. Hint: it's easier to stay hot when you're an A list celebrity