Weight is really just genetic

Options

Replies

• coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I believe genetics play into body shape. My mother, sister, and I all have the same shape. But my sister is overweight (by about 40-50 pounds from my weight) and has been for years. I have been the same weight for 8+ years because I started caring about what I put into my body, and exercising. So I disagree.

Case in point: Jessica Alba and her mom

gallerymainjessicaalbamol8.jpg

That's her mom?? I thought maybe Kathy Griffin had gained a few pounds :laugh:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Troll alert.... seriously people...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Thanks for the helpful post
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    my mom is a 6'2 former competitive gymnast with no tits or butt or anything, and a size 8
    my dad is a 6'5 grizzly bear and former baseball pitcher with the longest strongest legs Ive ever seen.

I'm 5'10/5'11ish got no *kitten* and super muscular legs and an ecto-meso boytype.

that's as far as genetics touched me.

Now Im enjoying seeing what MY body can look like and how MY body can perform.

I dont give two shts about other peoples look alike children WTF seriously does this have to do with you. Are you a twin raised by non-relatives?

Or are you just not feeling like putting in any effort because A) you dont think you can do it or B) you think you can but dont deserve it or C) you know you can but you are worried that if you succeed, you wont be able to keep it up?

Your mom was a 6'2 competitive gymnast?!?!?! How?!? I thought they kicked you out of competitive gymnastics once they got over 5'4-5'5!! haha
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Left to my own devices, I would do everything in circles except climbing trees. swim in circles and splash around all day. ride bikes up and down hills and through the concrete jungle til I pass out. Run amok in the woods in the park. do cartwheels and roundoffs and play on the monkey bars. Id jump off the pier at Coney island all day long, run face first into the violent surf on the Rockaways. Id spend whole days in the gym. Id hang from my knees until my face turned bright red. Id climb rope ladders and ski indoors on moving carpet mountains, id canoe back and forth across the central park pond and then get lost in teh bramble.

thankfully I am not left alone to my own devices and have people and common sense that make me remember to go in straight lines sometimes.

however - all of this leads to me looking like this :bigsmile: for 95% of my waking life

^^^^ List of my activities tomorrow.... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love it!! :flowerforyou:
  • WillardsMommy1
    Options
    Honey Boo Boo & her family.

they are ALL fat.

But it is not genetics. catch a glimpse of what they put in their mouths & what she provides to her children. Sad, really.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    my mom is a 6'2 former competitive gymnast with no tits or butt or anything, and a size 8
    my dad is a 6'5 grizzly bear and former baseball pitcher with the longest strongest legs Ive ever seen.

I'm 5'10/5'11ish got no *kitten* and super muscular legs and an ecto-meso boytype.

that's as far as genetics touched me.

Now Im enjoying seeing what MY body can look like and how MY body can perform.

I dont give two shts about other peoples look alike children WTF seriously does this have to do with you. Are you a twin raised by non-relatives?

Or are you just not feeling like putting in any effort because A) you dont think you can do it or B) you think you can but dont deserve it or C) you know you can but you are worried that if you succeed, you wont be able to keep it up?

Your mom was a 6'2 competitive gymnast?!?!?! How?!? I thought they kicked you out of competitive gymnastics once they got over 5'4-5'5!! haha

uneven parallel bars - they moved 'em apart :P it wasnt national competitions hahaha i didnt say OLYMPIC MOM
  • yoovie
    Options
    This is like saying, "Why try to avoid UV when cancer is just genetic anyway."

Im not gonna lie this totally threw me off for a second....
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I knew it! I knew it!

It was my dad's fat genes that made me gain 20 pounds in 2 years all along and not the fact that I used to eat Large McDonald's menus twice a day (seriously it's just 10 feet from where I live... how was I supposed to resist and I did have to take the stairs to walk over there!!!). It totally wasn't the chocolate and croissants I ate as snacks all day long either.

Guess it's my mom's awesome genes that helped me lose 22 pounds since last year. Thanks mom's genes for coming through for me in the end!!! I'm sure it's not the fact that I cut down on my intake of Big Macs, Big Tastys, Large fries, cokes, Lindt Lindor chocolates and chocolate croissants and started this exotic thing called exercising!!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

A troll? Here? I don't believe it!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    According to the overweight cousins on both sides of my family, being overweight is in our genes... Funny how it skipped my brother and I, or rather, how both of us tend to lose weight if we put it on rather than believing it's our destiny...

Though, to be fair, both cousins who said that have lost weight recently, so hopefully that means they've stopped believing it's inevitable.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm just big boned
    Me too.... with some fluffy meat separated them from my skin! Enough about me... time to watch the troll parade...
    6f6.gif
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Genetics do influence our weight, there's no doubt. Epigenetics play a big part too; that's the way that certain hormones & chemicals and triggers effect the ways our genes activate (a new and fascinating science).

That said, there are foks who do have a harder time losing weight but that doesn't mean they can't. Laws of thermodynamics still apply to a slower metabolism - you may burn calories more slowly, but calories in and calories out still rule.
  • bekinator
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

goes and grabs some popcorn

lol!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    "The Bottom Line: Healthy Environments and Lifestyles Can Counteract Gene-Related Risks

Having a better understanding of the genetic contributions to obesity—especially common obesity—and gene–environment interactions will generate a better understanding of the causal pathways that lead to obesity. Such information could someday yield promising strategies for obesity prevention and treatment. But it’s important to remember that overall, the contribution of genes to obesity risk is small, while the contribution of our toxic food and activity environment is huge. As one scientist wrote, "Genes may co-determine who becomes obese, but our environment determines how many become obese." (20) That's why obesity prevention efforts must focus on changing our environment to make healthy choices easier choices, for all."

from: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/index.html

I do believe that I have a genetic predisposition for obesity. However, it was my environment/choices that made me obese.
  • yoovie
    Options
    "The Bottom Line: Healthy Environments and Lifestyles Can Counteract Gene-Related Risks

Having a better understanding of the genetic contributions to obesity—especially common obesity—and gene–environment interactions will generate a better understanding of the causal pathways that lead to obesity. Such information could someday yield promising strategies for obesity prevention and treatment. But it’s important to remember that overall, the contribution of genes to obesity risk is small, while the contribution of our toxic food and activity environment is huge. As one scientist wrote, "Genes may co-determine who becomes obese, but our environment determines how many become obese." (20) That's why obesity prevention efforts must focus on changing our environment to make healthy choices easier choices, for all."

from: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/index.html
    (the bold font is mine)

fyp
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

goes and grabs some popcorn

I'll bring the drinks!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Genetics didn't pre-wire me to eat all those nutty bars, doritos, and double whoppers.
    Or did it?
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Genetics didn't pre-wire me to eat all those nutty bars, doritos, and double whoppers.
    great my jeans now want a nutty bar and a whopper
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why do we all even try to lose weight when in the end it is almost entirely genetic? Look at twins they are always the same weight +/- 15 ibs. They have done studies where twins were separated at birth and raised by seperate families. Researchers examined both their BMI and weight and they are always almost exactly the same weight as their twin not taking after the family that raised them.
    How do you reconcile your post here with a previous post of yours in which you said:
    Almost all people who are more then 30ibs overweight over eat because it is there drug of choice. Humans seek addictive behavior and whether it is drinking, smoking, prescription drugs, marijuana, or just eating its all the same. If you overeat you need to recover just like an ex alcoholic does.

The thread is here, in case you need reference: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/764865-eating-is-a-drug