Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• dancinnat
    Options
    Wow! This is a question I struggle with a lot, too! I was a size 12 about 4 years ago. I felt a little chubby then...I didn't have the same confidence I feel that the skinnier girls had and I thought then that I needed to lose some weight. But after a baby and a lot of laziness, I went up to a size 22. I started dieting in May of this year, and am now back to a size 12. I have lost 67lbs. It's kind of hard to see that my weight now, after all this hard work, is other people's "starting weight." It's easy to still feel fat. But I think it's all about being healthy and fit. The fittest people aren't always the skinniest. I know thicker people that are super fit and their bodies are healthy and strong. I guess I'm just trying not to aim for a specific size as much as just wanting to be healthy and fit. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I hope I maybe it helped to know that you're not alone. Congrats on making it this far and good luck on your journey! :)
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

That was before vanity sizing was invented. A 1960's size 12 is today's size 8.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wherever you feel comfortable!

When I was in a size 12 I was still over 200 pounds. I'm now 170 & a size 8. I'm 5 feet tall and have a curvy frame.. it depends on a lot of things. For me, 12 wasn't it.. but again I'm only 5 feet!! I'm working to get to a solid 6.

Holy crap! You must have pretty narrow hips or carry your weight different than me. I'm barely over 200 pounds and wear a size 22. You must think I'm a whale! :laugh:

I was just thinking the same thing!! I am 5'1" and 170 pounds and a size 12/SOMETIMES 10. I couldn't fit a size 8 over my gigantic *kitten* if my life depended on it. LMAO!

you all might also be comparing apples to oranges. a size 12 in one store is not the same as a size 12 in another store. also sizes are going to be different depending if we're talking about pants or dresses. plus there's also the possibility that people are wearing a size they are too big for :wink: just because someone can get into something doesnt mean it's the right size :laugh:

for instance i can squeeze into a pair of size 10 pants. to some people that would be considered be able to wear a size 10, completely disregarding the muffin top and the seams that are near splitting

I agree about the different stores. But I can tell you that I currently am SWIMMING in a size 12 and am nowhere near as tiny as the woman who posted the original post we're responding to.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Wherever you feel comfortable!

When I was in a size 12 I was still over 200 pounds. I'm now 170 & a size 8. I'm 5 feet tall and have a curvy frame.. it depends on a lot of things. For me, 12 wasn't it.. but again I'm only 5 feet!! I'm working to get to a solid 6.

Holy crap! You must have pretty narrow hips or carry your weight different than me. I'm barely over 200 pounds and wear a size 22. You must think I'm a whale! :laugh:

I was just thinking the same thing!! I am 5'1" and 170 pounds and a size 12/SOMETIMES 10. I couldn't fit a size 8 over my gigantic *kitten* if my life depended on it. LMAO!

you all might also be comparing apples to oranges. a size 12 in one store is not the same as a size 12 in another store. also sizes are going to be different depending if we're talking about pants or dresses. plus there's also the possibility that people are wearing a size they are too big for :wink: just because someone can get into something doesnt mean it's the right size :laugh:

for instance i can squeeze into a pair of size 10 pants. to some people that would be considered be able to wear a size 10, completely disregarding the muffin top and the seams that are near splitting

I agree about the different stores. But I can tell you that I currently am SWIMMING in a size 12 and am nowhere near as tiny as the woman who posted the original post we're responding to.

this is why women's clothing sizes SUCK :laugh:

you have to try on everything. even in the same store, the same size is not the same. i recently bought a pair of size 14 jeans from express and the same time i ordered another style same size. today i went in to the store to try on the size 12 they had of that style i hadnt tried on and i couldnt even get it on past my knees, so i already know the 14 is going to be too small.
  • rml_16
    Options

this is why women's clothing sizes SUCK :laugh:

you have to try on everything. even in the same store, the same size is not the same. i recently bought a pair of size 14 jeans from express and the same time i ordered another style same size. today i went in to the store to try on the size 12 they had of that style i hadnt tried on and i couldnt even get it on past my knees, so i already know the 14 is going to be too small.

Yes! A little more continuity would be nice.

Anyway, I just read back and she's a UK12, which is a much smaller size than an American 12 and that makes sense.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I am down to a size 14 this way.:wink:
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    I keep getting confused here as some people are talking UK 12 and some US 12 - am I right in thinking US 12 is bigger?
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It all depends, I am 5'10", weigh 180lbs, (23yo), and I am a 12 right now....i wouldn't say i am overly fat, but i am chunky still!!! i was a size 15 when i started and i'm almost down to an 11 again, as soon as i get between sizes 5-7 i will be happy again like i used to, but it all depends on the person!
  • coal30
    Options
    I am currently a size 8 at 155 lbs and im struggling i am 5'3 i hated bieng a size 12 but for me bieng so short it didnt suit me im aiming for at least a size 6 and another 25 lbs but who knows. its taken me a year to lose the last 40 lbs so who knows could take another yaer espically with the holidays. i try to be happy with the. size im at now even while strieving for better. but i think it all depends on the person and how u carry it. good luck weight loss sucks lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    I keep getting confused here as some people are talking UK 12 and some US 12 - am I right in thinking US 12 is bigger?

Yes! A lot bigger.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm an American 10 and was a 12 when I started MFP. I am 5'2 and didn't look fat. I was a 16 in highschool and did look fat, but that doesn't mean other people who wear 16s are fat...it's really about what body shape you are, how tall you are, and how much lean body mass you have.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's one size bigger...

Just to clear it up for everyone, a US size 12 is a UK size 16 (and in Australia)

So a UK size 12, is an American size 8

:)
    Every size conversion chart I've seen says that if someone was an American size 10, they'd be a UK size 12, and an AUS size 14

Yes! A lot bigger.
    [/quote]

It's one size bigger...
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12 - and she looked damn good! These days, our beauty standards seem to favor the anorexic look, sadly. I try to ignore all that - it isn't healthy. I think a size 12 is a great accomplishment :)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree the number "12" doesn't really mean anything. I am 5'6" and 195 and a size 12, according to MOST of the pants I wear. 195 for my height is still 10 pounds in to the "Obese" BMI (which I don't hold in any great regard) so I would consider it "fat" still. I started at a 24 though, so I'll happily take it. On a 5'10" or taller woman, a 12 would look, and be, considerably less "fat."
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12 - and she looked damn good! These days, our beauty standards seem to favor the anorexic look, sadly. I try to ignore all that - it isn't healthy. I think a size 12 is a great accomplishment :)

I see you didn't read the 8 other posts about Marilyn in this thread :tongue:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I see you didn't read the 8 other posts about Marilyn in this thread :tongue:

Haha, my thoughts exactly!
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    <
    My current profile picture is me in size 11/12. I hope that is not considered fat :(
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes! A lot bigger.

It's one size bigger...

Two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes
  • SwolfeC
    SwolfeC Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have always been a size 12 and I am not in 10 and the only thing that sucked about 12s was that alot of stores stop at 12 so if pants are tight then you have no other options. I am hoping to be an 8 or a 6 when done!

BTW Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 when sizes were smaller, so in modern times she would not be a 12, she was more like a modern 8

Also UK sizes are more like 2-3 sizes smaller I am a 6/8 on top but from UK stores I still need to get a 12
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Yes! A lot bigger.

It's one size bigger...

I think there are two sizes of a difference... ie I am around a UK 10 which is a US 6 as far as I am aware!